Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A1 announced  (Read 4353 times)

shadowblade

Sony A1 announced
« on: January 26, 2021, 10:41:55 am »

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/press-release-groundbreaking-sony-alpha-1-camera-marks-a-new-era-in-professional-imaging/

The whole thing reads like a big 'up yours' to Canon's R5. Although the very name R5, and the fact that it functions largely like a mirrorless 5D, suggests that an R1 is in the works - I'd want to see Canon's response. I'd expect Canon to bring out quad-pixel AF, among other things.

If the A7r series is like the Canon 5D2 12 years ago, and the A9 is like the 1D3 action body of the same generation, the A1 seems to be like a modern-day 1Ds body, covering the action and high-resolution roles at the same time.

Of particular interest to me:

- 50MP with top-tier AF (30fps isn't much use for most of what I shoot). As a primary body and one-camera solution, it can do the job of both the A9 and the A7r series.
- Eye AF for birds. Finally. Dogs and cats were a great start, but this seems to expand it to many other animals. I hope this also means reptiles, given their similarities, (and, cladistically speaking, birds are reptiles).
- 1/400s sync speed. Not a global shutter yet, but this can only be a good thing for shooting wildlife with fill flash. Even if you're shooting at 1/1000 or 1/2000, the faster sync speed means that HSS can now give you twice as much light (or use half as much power) for a faster recycle time and frame rate.
- Flash photography with electronic shutter (presumably EFCS as well as ES). This really simplifies and reduces the number of different setups you need - no need to have one or more mechanical shutter modes on the dial just for flash. (All the same, I still hope you can assign more than three custom modes)
- 120 AF calculations per second - twice as fast as the A9. I'm not sure how this translates to real-world performance, but it can only be a good thing.
- Lossless compressed RAW

Probably won't buy it yet, though - until international borders open and I can go on big trips covering wildlife, landscapes, cities and culture, I don't exactly need a new camera that's top-tier for both landscapes and action at the same time, and the A7r3 and A9 combination will work fine. But, unless something more suitable comes up (or unless testing reveals some unexpected failures, e.g. a deficiency in low-ISO DR) this will probably replace my A7r3 and become my main landscape and action body, with an A9 as a second body with lens attached (not much time to change lenses when shooting action), except for dedicated landscape trips, where I'd probably dust off the A7r3 and bring that as a backup.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 11:08:26 am by shadowblade »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Sony A1 announced
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 04:32:48 pm »

Amazing specs! Amazing job by Sony’s engineers.

I am glad I sold my a9II a few weeks ago before it lost more value. Although frankly speaking I was using it very little relative to my other equipment these past months.

I’ll probably get the A1 though, it’s too much of a good thing for these rare but tough action situations.

The question for me remains the lenses. I see very few native ones that I find appealing each time I review the portfolio. I thought the 35mm f1.4 would be it, but although there are many things to like about it, it's getting average reviews in Japan from Sony shooters I know and trust due to significant LoCA... :(

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 09:40:00 pm by BernardLanguillier »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 05:29:07 pm »

I wonder how many shots you can do with one battery... will need a vertical battery grip.
I guess this is Sony's Olympic camera; more tele-lenses will follow.
Don't think Nikon not Canon can improve on this camera, Sony has got the better sensors...
BTW i would like to have spider-eye-AF...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

shadowblade

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 06:46:47 pm »

BTW i would like to have spider-eye-AF...

For that, you'd probably need a whole extra row of buttons just to choose which eye...

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 06:27:21 am »

Competitor to Canon and Nikon pro-cameras, which are DSLR. This will be an interesting question: will the next pro camera from Canon and Nikon be DSLR or MILC? I think for the Olympics, they will still do with current 1Ds and D5. Their MILC lens park is still scarce for sports.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 08:19:44 am »

Competitor to Canon and Nikon pro-cameras, which are DSLR. This will be an interesting question: will the next pro camera from Canon and Nikon be DSLR or MILC? I think for the Olympics, they will still do with current 1Ds and D5. Their MILC lens park is still scarce for sports.

The 120-300mm f2.8 and 200-400mm f4 with built-in TC are probably indeed more valuable than 30 images per second or eye AF.

The a9II wasn’t at D6 level tracking wise, it remains to be seen how good the a1 will be.

Besides, at its price tye a1 isn’t an easy buy if you also factor in super teles.

Cheers,
Bernard

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 12:04:23 pm »

I'm glad to see losslessly compressed raw, finally. But since I seem to upgrade every other body, it won't be until a7r6 is released that I get to take advantage of it!

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 02:41:51 pm »

and we can start a post on the new fuji GFX 100s! 100mp has got 4000€ cheaper... 500 less than the sony A1
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 03:23:01 pm »

and we can start a post on the new fuji GFX 100s! 100mp has got 4000€ cheaper... 500 less than the sony A1

Wow!

chez

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 08:55:51 pm »

The A1 and GFX100s are two night and day cameras...so comparing them in any way is pointless.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 04:27:33 am »

The A1 and GFX100s are two night and day cameras...so comparing them in any way is pointless.

They are chalk and cheese.

Given historical medium format digital pricing the GFX100S is unbelievable bang for buck.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 06:04:51 am »

Right, i only compared the price ...

Now there is an interesting read on Sansmirror by Thom Hogan.
Sony is the only camera and mobile phone maker of the common camera brands and now they combine it the two into a digital hub to distribute the photos/videos with 5G.
Now that is something the other companies cannot develop without external help and very important for sport photographers...etc.
and it can serve as a video monitor (/ recorder?).
https://www.sony.com/electronics/professional-smartphones/xperia-pro
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 06:17:18 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 06:25:10 am »

Funny how the thread starts with gushing about the new camera and completely disregarding the price, which is encroaching on the medium format territory. $6,500 for a 35mm camera!? $4,000 for a Canon R5!? Seems to me that the major manufacturers have realized the camera industry is dying as a mass-market endeavour, and that their only salvation is in the niche customers: pros and dentists.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 07:11:11 am »

..Seems to me that the major manufacturers have realized the camera industry is dying as a mass-market endeavour, and that their only salvation is in the niche customers: pros and dentists.
In my work as a architectural photographer i have met several dentists - expensive villa owners that earn lots of money by staring daily in many mouths..
They seem to compensate with buying the best of the best, including the houses with indoor swimming pools...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

shadowblade

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 08:41:03 am »

This camera does the job of both an A7r-series and A9-series at the same time. A7r resolution with A9 AF and speed. It can replace both cameras (obviously, you'd still keep a backup, but that would apply regardless of what your main camera was). It's also cheaper than buying the A9 and A7r4 separately. Expensive? Sure. But probably not unreasonably so, considering what it replaces. And the price will likely come down once Canon launches a competitor.

At this point, my stable includes an A7r3, an A7r and two A9s. On most trips, I will have two three camera bodies - two A9s and an A7r3 for wildlife/action-heavy trips (since there's always scenery to shoot at high resolution), an A7r3 and an A7r for dedicated landscape trips, an A7r3 and an A9 for most general trips.

The A1 will likely replace the A7r and one of the A9s. I'd then bring the A1 and the A7r3 on landscape-heavy trips, and the A1 and A9 for action-heavy trips. Wouldn't ever need to bring three bodies, and I'd always have both high-resolution and high-speed/fast AF options available, which isn't currently the case. Eventually, in another one or two generations, the A7r3 and remaining A9 could be replaced by an A1ii or A1iii, with the A1 then becoming the backup camera, the stable being reduced to two cameras, and both cameras being able to cover for each other in every respect.

chez

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2021, 09:50:22 am »

Funny how the thread starts with gushing about the new camera and completely disregarding the price, which is encroaching on the medium format territory. $6,500 for a 35mm camera!? $4,000 for a Canon R5!? Seems to me that the major manufacturers have realized the camera industry is dying as a mass-market endeavour, and that their only salvation is in the niche customers: pros and dentists.

Historically the 1dx and d5 camera ones sold for these prices without any eye blinks.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2021, 04:35:44 pm »

Historically the 1dx and d5 camera ones sold for these prices without any eye blinks.

Higher in fact.  All 3 versions of the Canon 1DS before the 1Dx were $8k MSRP and sold for that (ie they were not immediately discounted).

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2021, 08:37:11 pm »

Higher in fact.  All 3 versions of the Canon 1DS before the 1Dx were $8k MSRP and sold for that (ie they were not immediately discounted).

Indeed, and so did the D4, D5, D6 and D3x.

Sony's pricing is reasonable considering the level of performance their claim.

And frankly, if they have improved the color filtering as I assume they did, odds are that this is literally the last camera anyone would ever need. That has to be factored in when looking at the price. This isn't a camera that will need to be upgraded in 1, 2 or 5 years.

Cheers,
Bernard

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2021, 05:24:48 am »

Indeed, and so did the D4, D5, D6 and D3x.

Sony's pricing is reasonable considering the level of performance their claim.

...... This isn't a camera that will need to be upgraded in 1, 2 or 5 years.

Cheers,
Bernard

That is my plan  :)  no upgrades, I'm on a strict no-gas diet

Lastly on price we should remember that spending $8k 10-15 years ago (1ds-2002, 1ds2-2004, 1ds3-2007)  is like spending $10-11k today according to an on-line inflation calculator, and for a much more featured and capable camera.  A real bargain ...  8)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2021, 08:12:51 am »

... Lastly on price we should remember that spending $8k 10-15 years ago (1ds-2002, 1ds2-2004, 1ds3-2007)  is like spending $10-11k today...

I don't think comparing early digital cameras' prices with today's models is meaningful. Some of first Kodak digital cameras in the '90s (on Canon or Nikon bodies) were going initially for $20K+.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up