Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: m1 mac mini to replace macpro 2013 ?  (Read 1078 times)

zobelaudio

• zobeleye.com
m1 mac mini to replace macpro 2013 ?
« on: January 25, 2021, 05:55:07 am »

Hi guys,

I am looking for info on speed of rendering previews for my GFX100 files. I have a macpro late2013, the dustbin, with 32GB and an internal 2gb ssd. Now this one takes 12sec to render a zoom preview when using the compare mode in LR preview. As I do a lot of focusstacking, I need to compare files for point of focus often and I need it done fast.
My question is, has anybody used the new macmini M1 machine to do this yet or do you have any info as to how it could speed up my workflow ?
 I know all the specs, but actual user-experience is always different, right ?

cheers, Stephan

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: m1 mac mini to replace macpro 2013 ?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 06:38:50 am »

Hi guys,

I am looking for info on speed of rendering previews for my GFX100 files. I have a macpro late2013, the dustbin, with 32GB and an internal 2gb ssd. Now this one takes 12sec to render a zoom preview when using the compare mode in LR preview. As I do a lot of focusstacking, I need to compare files for point of focus often and I need it done fast.
My question is, has anybody used the new macmini M1 machine to do this yet or do you have any info as to how it could speed up my workflow ?

cheers, Stephan
Have no experience, but
I would wait a little; m1 is the first with alle the little problems connected to it , then this year a macbook pro ( and iMac) will come with more muscles and old features like macsafe- a card reader and 5G ( so without a SIMcard you will have GPS)

Also the adobe programs and others are still in progress in supporting Apple silicon.
I am sure Apple will do anything in its power to make Apple Silicon a success, but maybe too early for using it reliable.
Bleutooth is one of the problems...  and of course you cannot use 32 bit programs.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 01:11:10 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 04:37:40 pm »

I am in a similar situation with a 2013 iMac and 24GB ram. It still works great, but a new computer is on the horizon.
By all accounts the new M1 chip leaves Intel processors in its dust, even with much less RAM.

The only issue is whether you can run all of your existing programmes and the prudence of waiting until any Big Sur bugs are gone.
I only just upgraded to Catalina. I have a 32 bit accounting package so I run that in a Mojave window under VMWare Fusion.
As well as a 10.14 window, I also have a 10.11 El Capitan window and a 10.6 Snow Leopard window. So almost anything can be done.

If my iMac dies tomorrow I would probably buy a Mac Mini, but hoping to see an iMac M1 soon.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 12:16:54 am »

I'm just waiting for an app that'll preview the GFX100 files on the M1. I've got an Air M1 and until there's native apps - PS, LR, etc - I wouldn't plan on it.
t: @PNWMF

zobelaudio

• zobeleye.com
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 12:30:28 am »

Wait, so you‘re saying LR 10 does not run on the M1 yet ???

bdkphoto

• http://www.brucekatzphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 10:12:39 am »

Hi guys,

cheers, Stephan

I can't help you specifically with the focus stacking rendering, but I'm just beginning to get my M1 mini up and running and I'm very hopeful.  I'm using LR and it launches with 1 bounce and works completely smoothly hooked up to my legacy files on usb 3.0 spin up HDDs. I have new Nvme thunderbolt drives ready to go and will test them shortly. Right now LR is much faster in Rosetta that it was with my old MacPro (2010 max out). I've had very little in the way of bugs so far with the exception of my accounting SW that not compatible - I knew this going in - . So far so good - I have no reluctance start on client work on this system.

kimballistic

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 12:21:22 pm »

Wait, so you‘re saying LR 10 does not run on the M1 yet ???

Lightroom Classic runs, unsupported, under Rosetta 2 emulation.  No word from Adobe on how long it will take to port Classic over.  They've indicated that there are a number of 3rd party software libraries embedded in Classic and unfortunately they will have to wait for those 3rd party companies to provide M1 support before they can release an M1-based Classic.

In any case, if you're editing 100mp images you will likely want to wait for the next round of M1 machines that support more than 16gb of ram.  Keep in mind the current crop of M1 machines (MacBook Air, 2-port 13" MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini) are intended to be the slowest and cheapest machines in Apple's lineup.  Of course, this is confusing because they currently trounce the more expensive (but outdated) intel machines.

Bottom line: if you can, be patient.  Better things are coming in the pipeline, and LR Classic isn't ready anyway.

mecrox

• My Online Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 11:29:51 am »

I have a 16/1tb Mac Mini and am transitioning from Windows. So far things work surprisingly well but not everything by far is yet ready for Apple Silicon.

Photoshop and Premiere are out in M1-compatible form, but as betas with a few features not operational. Photoshop's content-aware fill is not on my beta, for example. I have tried Lightroom Classic and In Design, so far without incident, but since these work through Rosetta 2 emulation they will be taking a speed hit (of maybe 20-25 per cent?). Still they do work no problemos to date though very occasionally my LR sticks and hiccups before getting going again. Lightroom Cloud version is now native for Apple silicon.

There are issues with third-party monitors not working properly with the M1s (signals not always being output as RGB) and no third-party colour calibrators are yet working so far as I know. Eizo made a statement about this the other day. X-rite are estimating the end of February for their profiling software in M1 form. And I don't think third-party RAID solutions are yet fully working because no current drivers yet, so storage is an issue.

My impression is the the current M1 is plenty adequate for what I do, but in the end it is not actually a speed demon and its graphics cannot match higher-end cards from Nvidia and co. To be fair the M1 was never intended to compete in those circles. The YouTube crowd have exaggerated its capabilities, imho, though it is still plenty enough for many folks.

So I would guess the M1 probably would push those 100mp Fuji files around and maybe better than expected, but the M1 is limited by memory and graphics and by the unfinished state of third-party kit. No doubt much more capable things from Apple will arrive in the net year or so, by which time the software should have caught up too.

Jump in now if you want but be prepared for a few niggles and workarounds.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 11:33:28 am by mecrox »
Mark @ Flickr

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 12:16:31 pm »

Like most of the others, I can't help with the speed of rendering GFX100 files but I found myself in a similar position last summer. I had a 2013 Mac Pro with 1TB and 64GB RAM. It seemed to work but... I decided Apple Silicon, while certainly the future, was not quite ready for prime time so decided on a tricked out Intel iMac 2020, i9, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD.

Actually, I believe the lossless compressed files on the GFX100 are actually smaller than the uncompressed RAW's from my Sony A7RIV. The uncompressed Sony files come into LR at 117MB and when sent to PS are 341MB. You could tell me if I'm incorrect. Many people have told m I'm crazy not to use compressed RAW with the Sony but I'm a slightly OCD detail freak and do not want to lose ANY information so have stuck with the uncompressed RAW. Storage is relatively cheap. The new Sony A1 apparently has lossless compressed RAW, a great feature, but I'm not about to drop $6,500 for it. The rest of the features are not relevant to what I do (eg 30 fps without blackout) and the A1 is still missing automated focus stacking (which is important to me).

Bottom line, I'd wait for the newer Apple Silicon machines to arrive. Let someone else be Apple's beta tester. I know one can wait forever but occasionally it does make sense.

Good luck. 

pschefz

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 01:37:27 pm »

I am working with 50mpix hasselblad files on M1 air, so far everything works faster or as fast as a well configured 2020 mbp.....
LR, PS are in rosetta but things are flying, so once they are native they will be flying even faster.....
video is insanely fast...fcpx...crazy.....the entire machine is more like iPad/iPhone....switching between apps, instant, everything is right there...now....
Phocus just went native for M1, did not notice much of a difference....but instant is pretty much instant even if you speed it up....
barefeats has plenty of comparisons, you might have to dig to be able to compare numbers from your actual machine....
we all know that new M1, M2,....will come eventually but the M1 mini will replace your 2013 pro nicely.....
I would get 16mb ram (although my iPad Pro flies through 50mpix raw files with 4? gb ram)
schefz.com
artloch.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up