Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

Where does pixel peeping start?

(1/4) > >>

BernardLanguillier:
Pixel peeping has been around for a few years, but what is it exactly?

Why do we accept not to discuss some issues of our cameras, but focus on others?

Why are we sometimes willing to invest in top of the notch next generation digital equipment, but do not necessarily bother evaluating how much we have gained compared to what we used before? Are these gains not inherently of pixel peeing nature?

Should relevant camera image quality evaluation focus on colors, noise and DR, but put less emphasis on image uniformity, absence/presence of painterly effect on small details,...?

In other words, where does pixel peeping start? Considering the very high level of performance already achieved by digital cameras, does it still make sense to discuss camera's image quality without turning into pixel peepers?

Cheers,
Bernard

Bobtrips:

--- Quote ---In other words, where does pixel peeping start?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91283\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
--- End quote ---

I suspect it largely starts at the point where someone discovers some small detail in Camera A which is better than Camera B when you own Camera B.

Jay Kaplan:

--- Quote ---In other words, where does pixel peeping start?

Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91283\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
--- End quote ---

My observation is that sometimes people can't see the forest for the trees. They are so caught up in the minutia that they cannot see the camera. That is why Michael's reports are so interesting. He comments on the camera and it's usability as a camera and the sum of it's parts not the parts themselves.

Jonathan Wienke:
I would say when the differences observed cease to make a visible difference in a print when shooting in real-world conditions. Nitpicking about a white imbalance of 2-3 levels would be a good example. It's measurable, but not likely someone will be able to see without an extremely well-profiled monitor or a perfectly-profiled print in a viewing booth, if then.

Steve Kerman:
I'm in pretty much the same camp as Jonathan.  Pixel peeping starts when you can't reasonably see the difference in prints of the size you want to make with the equipment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version