Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC Backup  (Read 2112 times)

midix

Re: PC Backup
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2021, 07:23:58 pm »

That "D:\Backup Projects.ffs_batch" path refers to neither source nor target drive. It is the path where you store your FreeFileSync configuration file "Backup Projects.ffs_batch" or whatever name you gave to it when saved your current configuration using "Save as a batch job..." command.

To put all the bits together, the workflow is as follows.

1)
You configure the synchronization as necessary using FreeFileSync buttons and commands.

For example, I have set Compare setting to "File time and size" (contents would be the safest way to detect true file changes, but it might be too slow for larger files), and "Synchronize" setting to "Mirror" (I want my target to always be exact replica of the source). Then I add source folders on the left and target folders on the right.

2)
Run the command "Save as batch job", adjust the settings as needed and hit "Save as" button. Here's when we choose a path to save the file. This should be some safe path where nobody will move this file or delete it by accident. Give the file a name and then copy the full path to the file. That's what will be your Argument entry for the task scheduler.

3)
Create the scheduled task with the argument path. You can also do a manual test run and verify that the files have been synchronized.

andyptak

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2021, 11:24:23 am »

Thanks again Midix. The way that I now understand this is different from my initial perception. I had expected a "live" sync with each change I made automatically mirrored in the second drive in real time. From what I now understand it works only in batch mode across the entire designated folder(s) when certain criteria are met - for instance, machine starts up, shuts down etc. Am I correct?

midix

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2021, 02:52:07 am »

Yes, you are correct - the synchronization is launched only at specific points in time, as you configure in the Task Scheduler. Unfortunately, FreeFileSync does not have real-time monitoring & sync (nothing like GoogleDrive/Dropbox etc.).

Real-time sync could be achievable with some other tool that monitors files and launches the same FreeFileSync command to sync all files, but it would be an ugly workaround and might cause unnecessary disk usage because FreeFileSync always scans all the folders to detect changes, not knowing about specific changed files.

An alternative solution would be to have a small NAS system with OwnCloud (the free on-premises Community edition). It has a convenient real-time monitoring client that works similar to other cloud solutions; also for Android and iOS to back up your phones, if needed.

andyptak

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2021, 04:49:23 pm »

Thanks Midix. Good information and explanation. Much apprecited.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up