Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lamination for posters (photopaper).  (Read 407 times)

smikkelmit22

Lamination for posters (photopaper).
« on: December 26, 2020, 02:51:28 pm »

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the lamination of posters. I always use pigment printers (Epson) and in the past i have created a few posters.

On the eye they were beautiful. Stunning colors. But i remember they were very vulnerable, as most of the times with pigment inks. This is no big deal, because i thinking of laminating them.

But i have little knowledge of laminating posters. A few questions come to mind.

1. Should i use a hot or cold laminator? Which version gives the best result on poster paper.
2. What kind of paper should be used. Personally i love a satin paper. I'm wondering, what kind of laminate should be use while using satin paper. I don't want to over gloss/shine it.

Hope you guys can provide me some information. If you have any other good advice, good experience I'm happy to hear all about it!

**edit**

I also have a liquid laminator, i think I'm going to try it and see what happens.

arobinson7547

Re: Lamination for posters (photopaper).
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 07:09:57 am »

Which liquid laminator do you have? I think that would be the way to go. No risk of Peeling or bubbles or silvering.
You can also choose matte, semi gloss, or gloss liquid. I've seen some mix them to get their desired gloss level.

I know some of the liquid laminators use a different type bar for smooth photo type surfaces

smikkelmit22

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 08:48:40 am »

I have a marabu starlam 1600r.

With it I have to types (thicknesses) of meyerbar, nr18 and nr 22 i believe.

I'm not completely confident it will work. There are two concerns, one is to much tension. It's possibly the paper will rip apart. Although paper is pretty strong. But just a thought.
Second concern, is the difficulties liquid lamination brings. Every time I try a new media it takes serious time to get it perfect.

But reading your comment, I understand the same goes for hot/cold laminators. They came with their issues as well.

arobinson7547

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 09:55:26 am »

I have  Seal Base 54 Laminator with Heat Assist (the rollers don't get HOT but rather just warm enough to make the Process a little better.
I use it exclusively for Mounting (never cared for the cheap plastic look of Laminates)

I also am a Proud Owner of a Drytec EliteCoater. I use if for coating Canvas and it does a Spectacular job and couldn't be easier. They sell an Optional Mayer bar, which I did not get. I think that one is smoother. Either way though, you sit the Bar atop the material and its' weight is what holds the canvas down and dictate's the pressure. Because the bar has the natural weight of its' metal construction and extends beyond the max width of a 44" roll of material, its' even pressure it what makes it so successful, ensuring a nice and even Coating and consistent travel thru the machine.

The Canvas Bar has a bit of texture, to sort of 'hold on to the Canvas'. I would fear it would be to course for a Photo Paper.  I guess that's why they have that optional Bar.

smikkelmit22

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 03:12:17 pm »

I use it exclusively for Mounting (never cared for the cheap plastic look of Laminates)

Good one, because that's something that i was wondering as well. I don't want this plastic look. I want the protection (coating) to 'merge' with the product, like canvas varnish does.

I had to look up the Drytec EliteCoater. It looks like it uses simular technique as the starlam. Do you use this system to coat your photopaper?

arobinson7547

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 04:23:23 pm »

Think of it as a more 'cost effective' starlam. you end of with 'very' little waste (think teaspoons). It was built/Sized for a 44" Aqueous Printer.

I have not used it for Photo work but would like to; for the times you 'know' the work will need some Protection. But I'd still have to source that optional bar.

Still, an argument could be made for Lamination when more extreme protection is needed. You can use much thicker, more durable materials, if needed.

I guess they both have their places. I personally feel that Artwork isn't Artwork until it it mounted. So, maybe the method of mounting could steer you to the more desirable method. If the edges were exposed, I'd probably prefer the Liquid. If the work was going to be exposed to someone who decided to throw and break their Beer Bottle up against it, give me the Roll Laminate.

Let's let the circumstances play a key role, also. Of course, there are also cases where a Large Photo can be hanging bare and exposed with the viewer getting up close and personal and that would be the preferred method to BEST enjoy the Print and all of its' Splendor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up