Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Time for a new GPU?  (Read 645 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Time for a new GPU?
« on: December 08, 2020, 09:14:33 pm »

I am wondering if it's time to get a new GPU. I have a decent computer: Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB RAM, 1TB SS C: drive (primarily for the OS), 2TB WD Black HHD for programs and other files. (All my photos are stored on externals.) I am running dual Viewsonic VP2785 4K monitors. My GPU is an nVidia GTX 1080.

My problem is with glitchy performance in LR and PS at times, especially Lightroom. I find that the UI will take time refreshing itself, as well as slow response to various brushes. Panning an image will cause the image to jump around the monitor even after stopping the pan. In PS 2021, using the hand tool to pan an image will stutter and stall instead of panning smoothly.

I'm sure the dual 4K monitors tax my card, but everything I've read shows that Adobe products (except Premier Pro) don't really make much use of GPUs. Most benchmarking for cards these days seem to be solely oriented towards gaming (which I very rarely do). All that said, any thoughts on upping my GPU game? Thanks.

degrub

Re: Time for a new GPU?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 10:50:25 pm »

When you say all my photos are stored on external drives, do you mean that you open them from there or do you copy them to the ssd or the wd blacks ?

JaapD

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 12:24:04 pm »

Based on your description I think your GTX1080 GPU is just fine and you’re looking in the wrong direction. I would suspect it to be a software related issue, maybe a driver.

Are you working from your HDD and externals? This is BY FAR the slowest part in the processing chain. Maybe time for an upgrade to an SSD and store/work your images from there?

Cheers,
Jaap.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 12:35:05 pm by JaapD »

arobinson7547

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 08:39:34 am »

You could look at external storage like a network drive;

Copy the files you want to work on to FAST local local storage (SSD), work on them, then copy back to external storage.

I prefer best practice of opening from the local storage SSD and never from the external. In some cases a temp file could be written to the location the file is opened from. So, if that location is not to fast, then, well, you know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up