Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advice on graphics cards - Quadro vs GeForce  (Read 4810 times)

datro

Need advice on graphics cards - Quadro vs GeForce
« on: September 09, 2019, 12:40:30 pm »

I am running Windows 10 on a HP Z800 workstation which currently has a Quadro 600 (1GB VRAM) video card.  The Quadro 600 has worked very well over the years for my applications, mostly imaging software like Lightroom, Photoshop, Capture One, Inkscape.  Infrequently I may use a few 2D CAD programs, e.g KiCad.  The card is driving a NEC LCD2490WUXi display.

With applications like the various AI Topaz solutions increasingly leveraging GPU processing and VRAM, I've decided it's time to look at upgrading my video card.  I know that in the past, the Quadro cards have been the "default" in higher-end imaging workstations, and also that until recently if you wanted 30-bit support you HAD to go with Quadro.  But now that the new Nvidia Studio drivers are offering 30-bit support for the less expensive "consumer gaming" GeForce GPUs, the difference for imaging applications is now a bit more blurred.  I do ZERO gaming and have no interest in VR.  My priorities are:  high reliability and precision, QUIET FAN, faster processing in imaging apps that utilize GPUs and VRAM, budget around $450 or less.

I'm looking for advice/comments on the following:

• My Z800 provides up to 75w of power on the PCLe 16 interface.  It looks like most of the newer cards (both Quadro and GeForce), need more than that and actually have a power connection (either 6-pin or 8-pin) on the video card itself.  Is it simply a matter of getting an adapter cable (Molex to video card 6-pin or 8-pin) to drive these cards directly from the machine's power supply?  My Z800 has an 850w supply, so I'm  pretty sure there is enough there.

• So far I've identified two possible cards:  Quadro P2200 (5GB VRAM) or GeForce RTX 2060 Super (8GB VRAM).

The Quadro P2200 only needs 75w and is single slot, single fan.  Memory bandwidth is 200 GB/s, 1280 CUDA cores.  It's a recent (July 2019) update to the P2000.

The GeForce RTX 2060 Super is also a recent update to the original RTX 2060.  It requires 175w with an 8-pin power connector, 2 slots, and has 2 fans.  Memory bandwidth is 448 GB/s, 2176 CUDA cores.

Both cards meet my budget.  Is the additional 3GB of VRAM on the GeForce card likely to offer any noticeable improvement in apps like LR, PS, Topaz, etc.?  I generally would lean toward the Quadro card for the higher reliability (probably also quieter fan), but with the new Studio drivers I'm wondering if I should consider the GeForce card.

Feedback from anyone with thoughts or actual experience with either of these cards (or other suggestions) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Edit:  Initially I misread the memory bandwidth on the RTX 2060 Super card.  This has been corrected.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 04:25:55 pm by datro »

DP

Re: Need advice on graphics cards - Quadro vs GeForce
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 08:19:57 pm »

and actually have a power connection (either 6-pin or 8-pin) on the video card itself. 
top line GPU cards actually have 2 power connectors on the card itself ...

JaapD

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 02:33:33 am »

I think you’d be better off with the latest RTX 20xx cards, huge processing power for AI type purposes. These cards have temperature triggered fans so you’ll be hearing them only when you’re actually doing heavy processing. After that the fans return to their ‘unhearable’ state.

It all boils down if your power supply provides 6 and/or 8 pin outputs to support your graphics card. If not then you’re forced to use the Quadro.

By the way, Gpuboss and Compubench (select on opencl performance) are good sites to compare graphics performance between various cards.

Regards,
Jaap.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:49:19 am by JaapD »

DP

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 08:31:51 pm »

I think you’d be better off with the latest RTX 20xx cards ... These cards have temperature triggered fans...

except this has nothing to do with 20xx cards :-) - GPU cards for a long time had temp sensors and firmware/OS level utilities to regulate fan speed vs temperature

datro

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 10:24:50 pm »

It all boils down if your power supply provides 6 and/or 8 pin outputs to support your graphics card. If not then you’re forced to use the Quadro.

OK, I've verified that my Z800 Power Supply has two 6-pin PCLe power outputs.  So I would need the HP N1G35AA "6-pin to 8-pin adapter cable" to connect to the 8-pin power input on the GeForce RTX 2060 Super.

Now I guess I'm leaning towards the GeForce card running with the new Studio Driver with 30-bit support (yes I know my current display is not 30-bit, but eventually I will be moving to a new monitor).  But this leads to another decision to be made:  which manufacturer?  I see MSI, EVGA, ZOTAC, ASUS, and of course there is the "founders edition" original version from NVIDIA.  I care nothing for "gaming bundles" offered by most of these; I'm more interested in the most quiet and most reliable card.  Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Dave

geneo

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 11:13:48 pm »

MSI and EVGA are quality and reputedly have good support. Asus makes very good quality, but there support is pretty bad. But I have never had anything go wrong with Asus (or MSI).

Right now, the pickings may be slim. I had an msi 2070 super trio preordered but for some reason they stopped production. I have an Asus backordered now, waiting on a supply for it.

You might want to look at the specs. For instance, the msi I was going to get had 4 display ports. The asus has two display ports and two hdmi.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 11:19:40 pm by geneo »
Walk softly and carry a big lens

JaapD

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 02:17:11 am »

except this has nothing to do with 20xx cards :-) - GPU cards for a long time had temp sensors and firmware/OS level utilities to regulate fan speed vs temperature

If you read the complete sentence than you’ll understand that it’s about the combination of processing power AND noise. The last aspect was something on which the OP had its doubts.

Back on topic. Depending on how power hungry the card is and the interconnection (6 pin, 8 pin, 6+8 pin) of the card one does not always need to connect both the 6 pin and 8 pin connector. These connectors perform power distribution in parallel. It could be that only applying the 6 pin connector would be sufficient. Check the manual for this.

Which Type? Roughly there are three types:
1) The founders edition type with one fan, pushing the warm air directly outside.
2) The rest of the bunch with 2 or 3 fans, circulating the air inside the PC housing.
3) The water cooled ones. Huge thermal buffer, dissipating power peaks better without the fans directly getting into high speed (noise).

The second one produces less noise than the first one in general.

Which brand? I think you can’t go wrong with either MSI or EVGA.

Regards,
Jaap.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 02:21:31 am by JaapD »

FabienP

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 05:55:01 pm »

Back on topic. Depending on how power hungry the card is and the interconnection (6 pin, 8 pin, 6+8 pin) of the card one does not always need to connect both the 6 pin and 8 pin connector. These connectors perform power distribution in parallel. It could be that only applying the 6 pin connector would be sufficient. Check the manual for this.

Do yourself a favour and connect both power connectors. Not doing this could trigger instability at load or leave untapped performance on the table. There are Molex to PciE 6/8 Pin cables available so you do not need to change your power supply.

Cheers,

Fabien

datro

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 06:34:40 pm »

Do yourself a favour and connect both power connectors.

To be clear, the card has a single 8pin power connector.  My Z800 power supply has two 6pin PCLe power cables available.  The PS is 850 watts and is custom designed by HP for this workstation to provide a stable 12V @ 18A (= 216W) on the PCLe power connectors (note this is NOT the standard ATX spec, it's MUCH BETTER than the standard spec).  With the PCLe interface itself already providing 75W, and the card needing a total of 175W max, that means I only need roughly 100W from the PCLe power connector.  So by my calculations I should be OK with using only one of the 6pin PCLe connectors with an adapater cable (like this) to give me 8 pins and adequate power.

In addition, NVIDIA seems to strongly recommend against using the adapters that connect 2 6pin connectors to a single 8-pin connector.  (see this note from NVIDIA), though I see people on the internet recommending it.  I'm not gonna chance it since I don't need to.

JaapD

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 01:33:34 am »

I fully agree with your approach. The 6 to 8 pin adaptor cable should do the trick just fine.

Keep in mind though that the current flows through the path of lowest resistance. The motherboard may be able to supply 75W over its PCIe interface but this is the path of higher resistance. I expect nearly all power will be provided through its direct connection between power supply and graphics card over the 6/8 pin cable, which is a good thing in itself, relaxation for the motherboard and its PCIe connector.

Regards,
Jaap.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 01:52:17 am by JaapD »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 08:13:51 am »

Just as an FYI, depending on the age of your motherboard, a GPU upgrade may not work. I went from a generic graphics card to a GeForce 960 and the system would not even boot. It was a 6-7 yo motherboard, but still... So I had to upgrade the MB and power supply - basically a whole new system. But it's MUCH faster, so I am not complaining!!

richs

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 03:27:21 pm »

If you are able to wait a bit, you will get considerably better bang for your buck, with the RTX3060 that was released this week and is sold out in most places.
See here for comparison to the 2060:

https://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-gpu-review

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 10:57:57 am »

If you are able to wait a bit, you will get considerably better bang for your buck, with the RTX3060 that was released this week and is sold out in most places.
See here for comparison to the 2060:

https://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-gpu-review

The original post was from a year ago, long before the 3060 was even a rumour. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up