Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple M1chips and printing loads  (Read 395 times)

MT

Apple M1chips and printing loads
« on: December 01, 2020, 05:13:57 am »

Hello,

One of machines that I have been using for work was max spec Mac Mini from late 2014. I7, 16gb ram.

This small block was serving me for 6 years with flying colors, without even single issue for all those years. I also have other stations, Win or Linux, for purposes that require those OS.

2020 printing through Professional Print and Layout from Canon, using Contrast reproduction option, few times hit the ceiling of 16GB of ram, and I had to work around it in a few ways.
I thought its time to move on to new Mac mini, with I7 and 32 or even 64 GB of Ram, just for "sure". Leave old one for some retro stuff, and continue onward with the new one.

But last month apple released new M1 chip, and its good. It is good, I had onhand experience with it and its like night and day performance vs my old one.

Yet my doubt comes from limit of 16Gb maximum for new M1 chip.
so w
I know I wont be able to afford some new "pro macs" that will come later, macbook pros in 16" or new Imac pros are expensive for me, so waiting for next chip in Q1 of 2021 doesnt bring me any extra.

Does any1 there have experience with M1 and Canon printing software, is new unified memory better enough, for it to be enough at 16 Gb vs not unified, but a lot bigger?

Jager

• E vestigio
Re: Apple M1chips and printing loads
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 05:38:53 am »

Yes, Apple's Unified Memory on their M1 chip is supposed to be more efficient than the conventional memory chips we're all used to.  But to what degree remains an open question.  There aren't a lot of details on it yet.

Beyond that, though, I would question why a simple printing application would run into problems with 16GB of memory.  Are you sure you didn't have something else going on on your old Mac mini?

MT

Re: Apple M1chips and printing loads
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 05:48:47 am »

Yes, Apple's Unified Memory on their M1 chip is supposed to be more efficient than the conventional memory chips we're all used to.  But to what degree remains an open question.  There aren't a lot of details on it yet.

Beyond that, though, I would question why a simple printing application would run into problems with 16GB of memory.  Are you sure you didn't have something else going on on your old Mac mini?

It happened few times on photos of 100x150 cm, trying to print with contrast reproduction was running into not enough memory. Nothing else in the bacground, just PhotoshopCC and Professional Print and Layout from Canon
Pages: [1]   Go Up