Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photokina stops indefinitely  (Read 522 times)

kers

• Pieter Kers
Photokina stops indefinitely
« on: November 29, 2020, 04:51:50 pm »

https://www.dpreview.com/news/1803113636/photokina-is-cancelled-indefinitely.

It seems the photomarket is getting smaller and smaller... and corona has made things worse;
The mobile phone and internet has cut a share of both the camera market and the popularity of annual shows.
Personally I feel lost at  these big shows; I never went to the Photokina although it is only 300km from Amsterdam.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Photokina stops indefinitely
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 10:48:18 am »

NYC has Photoplus convention in October annually at the Jacob Javitts Convention Center, cancelled this year.  They're supposed to have something on-line.  But I'm not clear what it is.
https://www.photoplusexpo.com/press-releases/photoplus-evolves-beyond-the-floor/

chez

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 11:27:36 am »

The Internet has made the big shows obsolete. Traditionally the manufactures would use these shows to debut their new equipment. Things have changed drastically and now equipment is released throughout the year using the Internet to get their messages to the user. Couple that with easy return policies with online stores, it is easy to look up all the information one wants on the net, then order the equipment to see how it feels and performs...all with the ability to return the equipment if it does not meet your needs.

Why would I fly to Germany to stand in lineups just so I could hold a new camera for a few minutes?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 11:48:27 am »

The Internet has made the big shows obsolete. Traditionally the manufactures would use these shows to debut their new equipment. Things have changed drastically and now equipment is released throughout the year using the Internet to get their messages to the user. Couple that with easy return policies with online stores, it is easy to look up all the information one wants on the net, then order the equipment to see how it feels and performs...all with the ability to return the equipment if it does not meet your needs.

Why would I fly to Germany to stand in lineups just so I could hold a new camera for a few minutes?
I think it's more for dealers and reps and other insiders in the industry to compare equipment and see the manufacturers and their reps.  It's a way to see what's going on in the industry in one place.  This happens in many industries.  It's a way for manufacturers to push sellers to sell their equipment.  Also, if you're a new manufacturer of some special product, it's a way of hiring representatives to rep your product.  Let's say you're making a new film camera.  This is a great way for distributors to get to know your product and make deals to rep your camera all around the world.

Of course, there are fewer camera stores as well.  Companies like B and H probably get private shows.

chez

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 12:55:49 pm »

I think it's more for dealers and reps and other insiders in the industry to compare equipment and see the manufacturers and their reps.  It's a way to see what's going on in the industry in one place.  This happens in many industries.  It's a way for manufacturers to push sellers to sell their equipment.  Also, if you're a new manufacturer of some special product, it's a way of hiring representatives to rep your product.  Let's say you're making a new film camera.  This is a great way for distributors to get to know your product and make deals to rep your camera all around the world.

Of course, there are fewer camera stores as well.  Companies like B and H probably get private shows.

The industry I was in, Sawmill automation, saw a huge drop in tradeshow activities over the past 20 years as the cost of these shows skyrocketed and the Internet made getting your product information out to customers or dealers much easier, efficient and exactly when it's needed...not on a show schedule. We used to spend millions on trade shows and decided to totally bare down to just a simple booth and spend the rest of that budget on targeted regional customer meeting which was much more informative for both the customer and our company. Judging from the huge declines of attendance at these trade shows, I believe other manufactures came to the same conclusions.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 06:23:55 pm »

The industry I was in, Sawmill automation, saw a huge drop in tradeshow activities over the past 20 years as the cost of these shows skyrocketed and the Internet made getting your product information out to customers or dealers much easier, efficient and exactly when it's needed...not on a show schedule. We used to spend millions on trade shows and decided to totally bare down to just a simple booth and spend the rest of that budget on targeted regional customer meeting which was much more informative for both the customer and our company. Judging from the huge declines of attendance at these trade shows, I believe other manufactures came to the same conclusions.
When I repped energy management and building automation systems, I used to set up a booth and get reimbursed half from the manufacturer.  I don't think I made any sales from it either.  But it was expected by the manufacturer of the equipment. Of course, pictures of the booth could be used in sale brochures and you could drop names.  With Covid, I expect many industries are going to reappraise their value.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: Photokina stops indefinitelyr
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 07:04:31 pm »

When I repped energy management and building automation systems, I used to set up a booth and get reimbursed half from the manufacturer.  I don't think I made any sales from it either.  But it was expected by the manufacturer of the equipment. Of course, pictures of the booth could be used in sale brochures and you could drop names.  With Covid, I expect many industries are going to reappraise their value.

Trade shows serve a very valid purpose.  The RV industry for example spends large sums to bring dealers together not just for product introductions but for the personal relationships that are formed and fostered.  It’s a big deal.   Typically it’s held at a number of locations in Elkhart county at the same time depending on the company.  The big three host massive displays with almost every floor plan from each model line.  They host large mealtime events including breakfast, lunch and dinners at their respective show spaces.  Each night features big time entertainment hosted by the different big three players.  This year there was a Keith Urban concert among others.   

Typically dealers carry product lines from many different companies and they like seeing everything in just a few days.   Many of the dealers order the bulk of their inventory for the year at this show.

COVID screwed everything up this year but most of he dealers came to see product at the plants individually or in small groups.  I’ve not asked but it looked to me that the long running of this type of selling took its toll on the companies marketing staffs.

Of course the big public facing shows in Pomona, Tampa and Hersey got cancelled.  These are very highly attended shows.  Hopefully next year will be different.  Buyers, just like dealers like the chance to see offerings from all the players in one place.  These shows feature substantially more product than a retail buyer could see even at a regional dealer based show. 

The internet is a nice thing but at least as far as I’m concerned there are some thing I want to see and touch before I buy, and I hate returning things.
Craig Lamson Photo

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 09:28:14 pm »

Trade shows are also a great way to look for employment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up