Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3200 - HELP!!  (Read 2097 times)

sportmaster

HP Z3200 - HELP!!
« on: November 22, 2020, 12:04:37 pm »

Calling on the collective wisdom of HP Z experts for help with a network connectivity problem.

I own two HP Z3200 PS Photo Rev. B 44" inch printers.  Both machines print just fine, but one unit will crash within seconds of being connected to my network, showing a 1.10 error. This unit works via USB cable, but I need the options available through the network connection (HP Utility).

I have tried the following without success:

1. New ethernet cord.
2. New router.
3. Disable virus software
4. Plugged into different wall outlet.
5. New print carriage PCA board
6. New trailing cable.
7. New printhead cover w/printhead ribbons.
8. New formatter and hardrive.
9. New power supply w/main PC board.
10. New encoder strip.
11. New drive belt. 

The only thing I haven't changed is the printmech board.

Any ideas?

Peter McLennan

Re: HP Z3200 - HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 10:43:40 pm »

I truly wish I could help you as others have recently helped me with my Z3200, but I can offer little but condolences.

Are HP unhelpful with what a "1.10 error" means?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 05:21:12 am »

Calling on the collective wisdom of HP Z experts for help with a network connectivity problem.

I own two HP Z3200 PS Photo Rev. B 44" inch printers.  Both machines print just fine, but one unit will crash within seconds of being connected to my network, showing a 1.10 error. This unit works via USB cable, but I need the options available through the network connection (HP Utility).

I have tried the following without success:

1. New ethernet cord.
2. New router.
3. Disable virus software
4. Plugged into different wall outlet.
5. New print carriage PCA board
6. New trailing cable.
7. New printhead cover w/printhead ribbons.
8. New formatter and hardrive.
9. New power supply w/main PC board.
10. New encoder strip.
11. New drive belt. 

The only thing I haven't changed is the printmech board.

Any ideas?

I am sorry but given your repairs done and the Z2100/3100 manual quote for this error, I have no clue what could be wrong other than new parts being flawed as well or gone belly up after their insert.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst Dinkla

https://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

GST

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 06:44:37 am »

Pls attach a picture of the whole error message shown, 1.10 seems unknown.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 07:18:15 am »

my thoughts :
maybe not a hardware problem- but an ethernet connection software problem.
what does the internet connection say on the printer before you try to reach it?

Have you tried a mac computer to make the connection- i understand you use windows.

-
(my printer is connected directly to the computer through ethernet; Apple computer with fixed adresses on both sides.)

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 11:28:10 am »

my thoughts :
maybe not a hardware problem- but an ethernet connection software problem.
what does the internet connection say on the printer before you try to reach it?

Have you tried a mac computer to make the connection- i understand you use windows.

-
(my printer is connected directly to the computer through ethernet; Apple computer with fixed adresses on both sides.)

Ethernet cable type error? Straight through or Crossover depending on  a direct connection or with hub/switch?  With two printers in the studio one would expect a switch involved.  No idea whether that would trigger an error like that.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst Dinkla

https://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 05:11:33 pm »

01:10 usually refers to the main PCA board. Often the wrong board, ie., REV A is installed when it should be REV B or vice versa.

If it was mine, I'd check the main PCA board, and as you mentioned, the print mech board has not been replaced - perhaps give that a go?

HOWEVER:

Otherwise, if the issue is LAN related, my approach would be to assign a static IP address, such as 192.168.0.9 and try again.

But here's the trick:

Shut down the printer from the front panel. Turn the switch in the back to off position.
Unplug the power cord AND the LAN cable.

Let it sit a couple of hours or overnight even.

Next, plug the power cord back in, but leave the LAN cord unplugged.
Turn on the power switch and let the printer initialize.

Let it come up WITHOUT the LAN cable connected.

Once it's settled in, plug in the LAN cable (which should be connected to a network switch) and watch the screen.

Soon, the static IP address should come up on the screen, meaning you are connected.

Go into Utility and see if the printer is found.

Try printing.

Simple but very often effective approach.

Best,

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

sportmaster

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 09:33:28 pm »

Mark,

The code was actually 01.1:10 - printmech error.  Got a new one ordered. 

The HP parts man says printmech boards are model specific (24", 44" rev. a or b, PS or non-PS) even though the service manual says one version (Q6675-60018) works in all.  He also said some printmech boards may pair with a used harddrive while others require a complete new hard drive before they will work correctly. 

I have the right rev. B main PCA board installed and a rev. A bought by mistake.  Also a new HD and formatter. 

When problems occured I have used your shutdown technique for many months, and it works, just not for this network problem. I can't get to the IP address function because the machine crashes as soon as the ethernet cable is connected.

I was thinking of trying a JetDrive card.  Any thoughts about that.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

deanwork

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 10:37:06 pm »

So you can still get parts for these things, just not techs to install them ?

Mark,

The HP parts man says printmech boards are model specific (24", 44" rev. a or b, PS or non-PS) even though the service manual says one version (Q6675-60018) works in all.  He also said some printmech boards may pair with a used harddrive while others require a complete new hard drive before they will work correctly. 

I have the right rev. B main PCA board installed and a rev. A bought by mistake.  Also a new HD and formatter. 

When problems occured I have used your shutdown technique for many months, and it works, just not for this network problem. I can't get to the IP address function because the machine crashes as soon as the ethernet cable is connected.

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 04:49:42 am »

Mark,

The print mech pairing is critical - and tricky. Jetdirect is a good idea. Can you get to the network menu using usb? It crashing as soon as LAN cable is plugged in tells me something’s wrong with the formatter board particularly as that is where the cable plugs in. Either that or Main PCA. Even new parts can be bad\ sometimes. My z9+ has jet direct and it is great on LAN. Could be an idea that might help. Looks like you’re deep down the rabbit hole. Hope you get a breakthrough soon. Kudos to your dedication.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

GST

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 06:33:28 am »

The following is taken from the Service Manual Version 10.0, don´t know if there is anything newer.
There is only one PrintMech PCA, its the Q6675-60018.
The Formatter is always Q6718-67020 (aka Q6718-60047), no matter what Z3200 you have. This comes with HDD installed and paired. The HDD does not pair to the PCA, the guy you spoke confused formatter with PCA I guess.
There shouldn´t be a problem with mixing PCA and formatter revisons, they are virtually identical.
Red hint: Do NOT remove and install both the PrintMech PCA and the Formatter at the same time.

Before swapping anything I would go to the service menu and do all diagnostics to the electronics:
- Diagnostic mode
With the printer OFF, press and hold the UP and OK keys. While holding the Up and OK keys down, press and hold the Power key to turn on the printer. Hold all three keys until the Power key stops flashing, usually about 20 seconds.
- Service Menu (Service Engineers Only)
From the main menu, press and hold the Up and Cancel keys.
 Service Menu (For users)
From the main menu, press and hold the Down and Cancel keys.

sportmaster

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 09:26:56 am »

GST,

Thanks for your advice.  I have version 11 service manual and have done the diagnostic tests described.

The HP person said there are variations in Printmech PCA boards even though they use the same part number.  He said they are model specific - revision a or b., PS or non PS, 24" or 44"., etc.  If that is correct not sure how to order the right part.

There are TWO different formatter boards, revision A and revision B.  They are not interchangeable.  The HDD on rev. A connects to formatter by a cord while the rev. b HHD plugs directly into a connecter on the formatter.  Rev. B also has three amber status lights on the outside.

Can you provide the service manual page indicating the HDD pairs with formatter and not main PCA?

Mark, I can't access network menu via the LAN.  I'll try with USB.  I have tried two new rev. B formatter/HHD boards without success.

Awaiting new Printmech board.  If that doesn't work I'll try Jetdrive card.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 09:32:48 am by sportmaster »

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 09:57:06 am »

Part numbers roll over after a number of years.
For example:

For the Z3200 that the model # ends in a “B”; example Q6721B
The COMBO part (main pca + power supply) Q6719-67009 rolled to Q6719-67013
For just the power supply: Q6718-67005 rolled to Q6718-67033
Main pca piece can’t be ordered as a single part

For the Z3200 that ends in an “A”:
Combo part (main pca + PSU) Q6718-67029 rolled to Q6718-67034
Power supply same as above

So it's important to check to see if part numbers have rolled over to new numbers.

It is true that the print mech board must pair with the HD and the formatter.

While the manual suggests Service Menu Diagnostics, I have yet to see an HP Field Technician do this, and I haven't done it either since the first time. It won't hurt, but it ends up being a waste of time mostly.

I've observed, best practice is to install the replacement part, start up, then shut down (even though the printer most likely will not initialize) and replace the next, etc., etc.

One thing I've noticed is that these days it is much more difficult to get the printers running compared to 5 or more years ago.
I question why this is, but prefer to keep my thoughts to myself.

I have also observed that continual starting then shut down multiple times oddly has a positive effect and can sometimes bring a machine back online. (Operational that is).

While replacing parts seems like the correct thing to do, sometimes cables are the culprit, especially the one that runs from the print mech to the formatter. There is a phenomenon called TMI (too many insertions) that can happen when unplugging and replugging cables, or a cable can be inadvertently pinched when reassembling the printer.

Seating, inspecting and carefully reseating is a good practice but when it's done may times over, TMI can occur.

Best,

Mark

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 10:01:54 am by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 10:12:53 am »

GST,

Thanks for your advice.  I have version 11 service manual and have done the diagnostic tests described.

The HP person said there are variations in Printmech PCA boards even though they use the same part number.  He said they are model specific - revision a or b., PS or non PS, 24" or 44"., etc.  If that is correct not sure how to order the right part.

There are TWO different formatter boards, revision A and revision B.  They are not interchangeable.  The HDD on rev. A connects to formatter by a cord while the rev. b HHD plugs directly into a connecter on the formatter.  Rev. B also has three amber status lights on the outside.

Can you provide the service manual page indicating the HDD pairs with formatter and not main PCA?

Mark, I can't access network menu via the LAN.  I'll try with USB.  I have tried two new rev. B formatter/HHD boards without success.

You mentioned that you have 2 printers connected. IMO any Z3100-Z3200 MUST be connected through a LAN switch. Any other method will bring heart ache unless you really know what you are doing. Do you have a LAN switch? The computer should be connected to the LAN switch, the printer should be connected to the LAN switch and the LAN switch connected to the router.

Are you thus configured?

-M
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

GST

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 01:00:45 pm »

GST,

Can upload your manual somewhere? I would be interested to see a difference.
The HDD is pairing with the formatter, wich is the reason you cannot (officially) swap the HDD alone. They use SATA encryption to store data on it and only the original formatter can decrypt that. Indeed it is possible to replace the HDD with a brand new one, there are numours sellers and instructions on ebay.
My source is not the service manual, but LPS Computers (https://www.lpscomputer.com/products/designjet-z3200-hard-disk-drive-q6719-67010):
"Used Hard Disk Drives will not work in this printer.  When the formatter is installed, the software on the HDD takes on the ID and password from the plotter and cannot be transferred to another Designjet Z3200."
And other note, we need to clarify we are talking about the same things:
- The Formatter ist where the LAN port is conencted and the HDD stis on
- The Printmech PCA is on the right side, wherer the Scan Axis Motor goes to
- The Main PCA is on the left side, part of the power supply.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 02:49:33 pm by GST »

sportmaster

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2020, 04:14:50 pm »

Mark,  thanks to you and others for taking time to share your knowledge.  Your advice has proven correct. 

Agreed, HP part numbers can be confusing.  Have you tried HP Parts Surfer (https://partsurfer.hp.com/)?  I will try your LAN switch suggestion.    I don't have both printers connected to my network at the same time.

I too had considered the printmech to PCA ribbon cable and control panel cable for replacement.  Do you know of sources?  I find ribbon cable reconnecting is the most difficult part of printer reassembly, especially those in the print carriage.

GST,  one of my sources is the same as yours. 

I am not trying to reuse a HHD with a new formatter and main PCA.  I have new.  That information source also wrote this, "Yes, the HDD pairs to the printmech PCA. Some versions of the printmech seem to be able to re-pair to a previously used HDD. So it's not a sure thing you would need another HDD when replacing the printmech PCA."

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 08:47:08 am by sportmaster »

sportmaster

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2020, 08:25:42 am »

After weeks of head scratching and frustration I was finally successful and got my printer working.   My problems went away after converting the printer from a revision B to revision A model.  This was achieved by installing a rev. A printmech board along with rev. A formatter and new HHD.

Thanks to Tim at LPS.

Pages: [1]   Go Up