Equipment & Techniques > Beginner's Questions

Carrying Camera with Heavy Lens

(1/3) > >>

ahbnyc:
I recently got a Sigma 150-600 lens to use with my Canon 70D.  The lens weighs about 4 pounds. This may be a dumb question, but if I carry the camera with lens attached with the camera strap around my neck, with the lens pointed down, is there a danger that the weight of the lens puts too much strain on the mount and something may break?  Would it be better to use the strap that came with the lens that attaches to the tripod collar that attaches to the lens? (I don't by the way use a tripod, although I understand all the reasons why maybe I should).

Jonathan Cross:
2 quick points. 1) with a heavy lens I find a light carbon fibre monopod great when photographing birds. 2) I would worry if I was wandering around with a large lens and camera on a strap round my neck.  I would get at least a waist bag for the combo.  I use a backpack.

Jonathan

ahbnyc:
Thanks for the response, Jonathan.  Monopod sounds like a good idea, as I do use the lens primarily for birds.  Any recommendation for an inexpensive model?

Re carrying, I do use a backpack when I don't need camera readily in hand, and only carry with strap around neck when actively looking for birds or other wildlife.  Is worry about carrying with strap damage to neck (which I deal with by carrying in hand if neck gets sore or uncomfortable)  or damage to camera/lens?

degrub:
i always carried my Canon 500mm Fd lens by the foot, never by the camera body straps or the mono/tripod. body strap was only in case i lost my grip. It also had a strap bar in the foot.
If you have a strap location on the lens, it should be near the center of mass of the lens + body. i would use that and maybe the body strap as a backup.

BobShaw:
If it doesn't wreck the camera it will wreck your neck. There are pictures around of faceplates coming off.
To me a neck strap is to stop you dropping the camera.
Unless it is very light my camera is always supported by hand.

Support the whole thing by the lens. The lens mount is always strong enough to support the camera, but not necessarily the lens. A zoom hanging down will also eventually move to the maximum focal length and cheap lenses immediately. It may give extra wear to the zoom mechanism.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version