Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yes, they screwed up the Mac Mini  (Read 1165 times)

chez

Re: Yes, they screwed up the Mac Mini
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 06:54:41 pm »

https://debugger.medium.com/apples-new-mac-mini-has-a-major-flaw-33931664d8f?gi=836f006a7622

I wonder if Apple will cone out with different versions of the M1 with different amounts of memory. A 32gb version would be ok with me.

deanwork

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 08:17:48 pm »

Yea, they should, Maybe a year from now. I think it’s a better bet to buy the previous 32 or 64 gig intel one while you can find them. That’s a big difference. Looks like they are integrating everything on the mother board from now on. More control of everything. I hear they might explode if you don’t use Apple displays 🙁

I wonder if Apple will cone out with different versions of the M1 with different amounts of memory. A 32gb version would be ok with me.

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 01:44:09 pm »

Actually, the Mac Mini is the most critical piece of the M1 support plan, and no, they didn't screw it up.

There will be racks of them for development & testing purposes.  With any new silicon, there was going to be a ramp up, time for software that takes advantage of the processor.  By putting out a $700 machine, it's a great example of 'minimum spec testing' - as in worst case this is what a user experiences.  Emulators are great, but physical hardware is always the benchmark.

Yes, there will be more powerful chips with greater spec's, more RAM, etc, but Apple had to release something that folks can debug on now.
t: @PNWMF

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 06:39:17 pm »

If you buy one with 16gb ram you can do a lot. 256gb harddisk is enough for a large system with email....
But you need external hardisk space for your stuff.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

faberryman

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 06:58:23 pm »

By putting out a $700 machine, it's a great example of 'minimum spec testing' - as in worst case this is what a user experiences.

By offering such machines to the public, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

pschefz

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 01:47:56 pm »

https://techcrunch.com/2020/11/17/yeah-apples-m1-macbook-pro-is-powerful-but-its-the-battery-life-that-will-blow-you-away/

The M1 plays 8k timeline in realtime with no dropped frames, final render, output times will not hold up to a dedicated GPU but even a Mac Pro or iMac Pro is probably slower to actually work on....
My 2018 iPad Pro eats hasselblad raw files and 4 k video...with 4? 6?gb ram...
DaVinci has a beta out, the M1 mini can do feature film work ....on a 700$ (base) machine....again, i would not want to render from it
So far not much info on how external GPU (via TB) will work, conflicting info out there, we will see....

Instant on, instant app launch, realtime (no lag at all, ever) LR, PS and Final Cut Pro on a 3lbs Portable with 12+ hours of battery for about 2000$? And that is just the start?
Which of course it is not, apple has years and millions of these out there in iPhones and ipads.....
schefz.com
artloch.com

Joe Towner

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 04:40:40 pm »

So far not much info on how external GPU (via TB) will work, conflicting info out there, we will see....

Everything I've seen is eGPU's won't work - early listing of the BlackMagic unit with the M1 laptops has been removed & every other publication has stated they won't work.

Using native apps will be fine, it's an iPad Pro with a keyboard.

BradSmith

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 07:12:36 pm »

It might not be perfect as expressed in the earlier comments.  BUT, it has the capability to easily handle LR and Photoshop unless you're working quite often with huge files. I am running a 2012 mini; 2.6ghz, i7, 4 core with 256Gb SSD and I Tb internal HD with 40,000 images in my LR catalog.  There are some things that are slower than desired on this but I still use it daily without very little sense of underperformance.  The Geekbench benchmarks on the M1 Mini are starting to show up.   They are roughly triple the performance of my functional Mini.  With my current mouse, keyboard and NEC PA 271 monitor, the Mac Mini will be one of strongest upgrades I've ever made for a small fraction of the cost of a current iMac or MacBook Pro. 

But I'm going to wait awhile to let version 1 problems get identified and resolved, both with hardware and software.

Joe Towner

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 08:04:19 pm »

I just picked up a M1 Air - 8gb & 512gb storage.  My day job is IT, so I needed to get something that's running Big Sur & I'm just waiting for my phone to ring because a client purchased one of these.  Will poke around & install the Photoshop beta at some point - just to see how it handles GFX 100 files.

I'm still running my 2017 15" on 10.14 because I've got some apps that I need to figure out if they'll work on 10.15.  I fight with tech too much, I need it to just work at home.
Pages: [1]   Go Up