Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Little Lonely Tree  (Read 297 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Little Lonely Tree
« on: November 12, 2020, 09:16:09 am »

There used to be two little trees standing side by side at this location (p.27), but the left one was snapped in half by a storm last year and which I thought might reduce the photographic and compositional quality of this scene when I first saw what had happened. But having now revisited and re-shot this scene several times since, I actually think it looks even better now there is only one of the little trees left standing.

Dave

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Little Lonely Tree
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 04:01:15 am »

Nice composition.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 12:39:45 pm »

I like it.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RMW

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 01:34:03 pm »

Hi Dave.

A lone tree is usually cause for sadness because trees rarely grow as single plants. They've evolved as communities, such as forests and woods and swamps.To see the history of this single tree can only be sorrowful, whatever our cultural aesthetics demand and delude.

Richard

PS- I think Dave's photographs are some of the very best on LuLa.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 05:50:48 am »

Thanks again everyone  ;)

Hi Dave.

A lone tree is usually cause for sadness because trees rarely grow as single plants. They've evolved as communities, such as forests and woods and swamps. To see the history of this single tree can only be sorrowful, whatever our cultural aesthetics demand and delude.

Yes Richard I agree, it is sad to see when things change so abruptly and especially when you have been going to the same place often enough and to the point where you have formed a deep attachment to it, so that when it does change and by whatever means be they natural or due to the interfering hand of man, then yes it does make you feel very sad indeed. But oddly enough that can sometimes be a good thing as well as being bad, because if you then photograph the scene again but using that emotional upset and your feelings of attachment to how it used to be, then it can sometimes help you to produce an image that goes much deeper than being just a record shot of the scene - sorry if this all sounds a bit garbled and nothing more than an outpouring of emotional claptrap, but I am sure you will understand what I mean  :)

PS- I think Dave's photographs are some of the very best on LuLa.

Richard, now you are making me feel very humble indeed and a little embarrassed and I am sure there are plenty of other photographers showing their work on here who are far better then me - but hey, photography isn't a competition as far as I'm concerned and more about trying to scratch the itch that we all have here and that is the need to create something to the best of our abilities. So if this has led to you liking what I am doing, then that is an amazing bonus for me and I thank you so much for being willing to take the time to say this  ;)

Dave

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 06:49:46 am »

A few steps to the right or left and you would have had the tree in its full glory against the sky, not the rock behind. Luckily, you can go back and reshoot. There is even a guide how to get there. I have a book: "Photographer's Guide - Isle of Skye - And the North West of Scotland." I know the author, I can put a good word in for you. Maybe I can even persuade him to be your personal guide next time?

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 10:05:49 am »

A few steps to the right or left and you would have had the tree in its full glory against the sky, not the rock behind. Luckily, you can go back and reshoot. There is even a guide how to get there. I have a book: "Photographer's Guide - Isle of Skye - And the North West of Scotland." I know the author, I can put a good word in for you. Maybe I can even persuade him to be your personal guide next time?

Thanks for the tip Slobodan, much appreciated and yes I have heard quite a few good things about that photographer's Guide Book to what is quite possibly the most photogenic place on the planet that you mention  ;D  so I  will have to look into it  ;) ;) ;)

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up