Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new member  (Read 4324 times)

julian kalmar

« on: December 14, 2006, 04:06:16 am »

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 01:44:21 pm »

Glad to see that you have joined the forum. Wonderful shots in your galleries! I will certainly enjoy looking through more of them.
Jack Varney

howiesmith

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 02:20:46 pm »

hello I´m new to this forum and I would like to invite you to my gallerys
http://photoart.lima-city.de/album1280x102...5448-49-01b.jpg
http://photoart.lima-city.de/album1280x102..._5438-39-01.jpg
http://photoart.lima-city.de/
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90476\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I looked at the links provided.  The images appeared technically correct - in focus and properly exposed.  But,

As for the "USA," it is apparent that all of the photos were taken in San Francisco, Yosemite and southwestern USA.  "USA" may be a bit of a grand title.  I understand the problems with a beginner, but don't over sell the product.  One trip perhaps?

The "Animals" appeared to be taken in captivity.  I have no problems with that, but again the selection seems small for "Animals."  Also the squirel in "USA."  What makes that the USA and not Animals, save where you took the photo?  Same zoo perhaps?

Iceland shots seemed very good.  I have never been there so no real experience to compare with.

My main thoughts were pretty good work, but not enough variety and maturity.  The shots were good but not outstanding photos of the very mature subjects you selected.  If you are going to make images of mature subjects, the treatment should be very mature.  For example, the squirel was just a suirel eating grass beside a sidewalk.

My idea of a mature subject is one that has been photogrphed many times.  Half Dome, Antelope Canyon, a squirel.  A mature treatment is something new and different.  Only immature subjects (rarely photographed) can get stand an immature photo (just the subject doing waht the subject usually does).  The differnece between a narwal mating and a squirel eating grass next to a sidewalk.

julian kalmar

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 03:53:13 am »

I looked at the links provided.  The images appeared technically correct - in focus and properly exposed.  But,

As for the "USA," it is apparent that all of the photos were taken in San Francisco, Yosemite and southwestern USA.  "USA" may be a bit of a grand title.  I understand the problems with a beginner, but don't over sell the product.  One trip perhaps?

The "Animals" appeared to be taken in captivity.  I have no problems with that, but again the selection seems small for "Animals."  Also the squirel in "USA."  What makes that the USA and not Animals, save where you took the photo?  Same zoo perhaps?

Iceland shots seemed very good.  I have never been there so no real experience to compare with.

My main thoughts were pretty good work, but not enough variety and maturity.  The shots were good but not outstanding photos of the very mature subjects you selected.  If you are going to make images of mature subjects, the treatment should be very mature.  For example, the squirel was just a suirel eating grass beside a sidewalk.

My idea of a mature subject is one that has been photogrphed many times.  Half Dome, Antelope Canyon, a squirel.  A mature treatment is something new and different.  Only immature subjects (rarely photographed) can get stand an immature photo (just the subject doing waht the subject usually does).  The differnece between a narwal mating and a squirel eating grass next to a sidewalk.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90558\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry, I have nothing against good critics and perhaps you are right when you are thinking that Usa is not the correct headline for images taken only of the South-West. Iwill chanche this but I do not understand what a narwal has to do with a squirel.
I think that a squirel is absolutely typical for this area as a puffin is for Iceland, thats wy it is in the USA directory and not in Animals directory. I haven´t heard of anyone seeing a narwal in the South-West.

howiesmith

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 12:41:03 pm »

Sorry, I have nothing against good critics and perhaps you are right when you are thinking that Usa is not the correct headline for images taken only of the South-West. Iwill chanche this but I do not understand what a narwal has to do with a squirel.
I think that a squirel is absolutely typical for this area as a puffin is for Iceland, thats wy it is in the USA directory and not in Animals directory. I haven´t heard of anyone seeing a narwal in the South-West.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90661\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Narwals have nothing to do with squirels at all that I know of.  Squirels have been photographed many many times and are, by my definition (and used here as an example), a very mature subject.  Mature subjects require mature treatment.  A squirel eating grass next to a side walk is not mature treatment.  Rather ordinary as that is where they are frequently seen and eating is what they are frequently doing.  As far as I know, no one has ever photographed narwals mating.  Very immature subject and nearly any photo would be a mature treatment.

I'm not saying I think matue subjects with immature treatment are not OK images.  I just don't think they are interesting enough for world-wide display.

I didn't get the squirel's connection to the southwest USA.  Frankly, I think I have seen many more ravens and blue jays than squirels.  Squirel just doesn't say "USA" to me, but sounds more like "Animal."  But then I live in the southwest USA.  Maybe squirels are what people think of when they think of the southwest USA.  Where I live I see many more quail and doves than squirels.  And I have never seen a narwal here either.  A guess a narwal in the desert would be very rare.

I've never been to Iceland and I'm not a bird watcher (a result of a very sheltered life, I guess) so I didn't see an instant connection between Iceland and puffins.  Puffins, even the North Atlantic puffin found in Iceland, are found many other places, and are not unique to Iceland.  I think puffins fall into the mature subject categary.  I have seen puffins a couple of times and knew at once they were puffins, from photos I have seen.

howie

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 10:11:46 pm »

Hi Julian,

Welcome to the forum!  I really enjoyed looking through your landscapes.  Although I recognize many of the locations, it would be nice to have them either in sub-galleries of the location, or labelled.

You seem to have been really lucky with interesting skies... something I have not been fortunate to experience in my limited travel to the southwest.  What time of year did you go, and how much time did you spend?

Howie

julian kalmar

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 03:35:14 am »

Hi Julian,

Welcome to the forum!  I really enjoyed looking through your landscapes.  Although I recognize many of the locations, it would be nice to have them either in sub-galleries of the location, or labelled.

You seem to have been really lucky with interesting skies... something I have not been fortunate to experience in my limited travel to the southwest.  What time of year did you go, and how much time did you spend?

Howie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90779\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was there in august.
That´s my first onlinegallery and unfortunately uploading to my server is very hard. (That´s the price one have to pay for free webspace as much as you whant without advertising) But I´m starting to lable the images as soon I have a little more time
Pages: [1]   Go Up