Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 809   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 473424 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #9420 on: March 29, 2021, 08:34:09 am »

Stop making excuses for voter suppression, and stop being a hypocrite about “too much regulation”.

GA code:

(a) No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any person distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition, nor shall any person, other than election officials discharging their duties, establish or set up any tables or booths on any day in which ballots are being cast:

(1) Within 150 feet of the outer edge of any building within which a polling place is established;

(2) Within any polling place;  or

(3) Within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place.

Is that the new or old regulation?   In any case, I don't see why not allowing bottles of water or food being handed out would stop people from voting.  Who goes to vote to hope to get a free ham and cheese sandwich while they're waiting tagged:- "Ham and cheese sandwiches courtesy of Jack Johnson, your next Congressman". If you're that hungry, take your own sandwich and drink.  I'm 76 and don't even like waiting in line.  I vote by mail which is allowed in GA too. 

I just found this article.  It doesn't outlaw food and water, only limits it depending on circumstances and distance from the voting place.  I don't see how that's anti-voting or discriminatory. It's trying to prevent electioneering near the polls.

Quote: "Another new rule that affects both in-person early voting and election day voting would prohibit anyone except poll workers from handing out water to voters in line, and outlaw passing out food and water to voters within 150 feet of the building that serves as a poll, inside a polling place or within 25 feet of any voter standing in line. Depending on the location, it is still possible for third-party groups to have food and water available  — and it is possible for the lines to extend beyond 150 feet."
https://www.onlineathens.com/story/news/state/2021/03/28/new-georgia-voting-law-what-does-sb-202-change-elections/7038406002/

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9421 on: March 29, 2021, 08:41:28 am »

France had a little bit to do with 1776 1781, and an embedded gun culture didn’t help Argentinians much in 1976.
France didn't help America until we started to win in 1778, two years after we declared independence and the war began.  In appreciation, Americans have made French Fries one of our food staples.  ;)

Regarding Argentina, I never said that the people automatically win because they have arms.  But it's almost impossible without them. 

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #9422 on: March 29, 2021, 09:04:06 am »

The law in NY requires no campaigning within 100 feet of a polling booth and location where people vote.  No signs, no handshakes, no nothing.  It's been around for at least 50 years that I recall.  It's purpose is to prevent encouragement, harassment, and other attempts to influence people to vote one way or the other.  This rule seems to be similar.  In all my years voting, I've never seen anyone give out food or water.    I could just see waiting in a line to vote, and along comes someone who hands me a bottle of water with the comment, "Courtesy of Jim Smith".  Of course, Jim Smith is on the ballot.

We have a similar limit in NC. So limit the food and water to outside that 100 foot distance. (Non-existent) problem solved.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9423 on: March 29, 2021, 09:16:03 am »

We have a similar limit in NC. So limit the food and water to outside that 100 foot distance. (Non-existent) problem solved.
Apparently according to this article, that's exactly what the regulation does.  So what's the problem? 

Quote: "Another new rule that affects both in-person early voting and election day voting would prohibit anyone except poll workers from handing out water to voters in line, and outlaw passing out food and water to voters within 150 feet of the building that serves as a poll, inside a polling place or within 25 feet of any voter standing in line. Depending on the location, it is still possible for third-party groups to have food and water available  — and it is possible for the lines to extend beyond 150 feet."
https://www.onlineathens.com/story/news/state/2021/03/28/new-georgia-voting-law-what-does-sb-202-change-elections/7038406002/ 

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #9424 on: March 29, 2021, 09:24:11 am »

Don’t defend this (or any other Republican voter integrity) nonsense, Alan. It stinks from the picture of 6 white guys signing the law under a painting of a slave plantation (awesome picture to have in the governors office, btw) right on down.

As with Trump's tossing of paper towels at Puerto Ricans, the question is always whether the number of votes they gain by this display is greater than the number of votes they lose.

Myself, I'd love to see the reaction if a photo/painting of the march on Selma were displayed in a government office to "celebrate history".

The voter suppression laws are Jim Crow reconstruction era laws making a comeback under a new guise. They're just a bit cleverer about it now, they leave the pointy white hoods in the basement where no one can photograph them.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9425 on: March 29, 2021, 09:54:40 am »

As with Trump's tossing of paper towels at Puerto Ricans, the question is always whether the number of votes they gain by this display is greater than the number of votes they lose.

Myself, I'd love to see the reaction if a photo/painting of the march on Selma were displayed in a government office to "celebrate history".

The voter suppression laws are Jim Crow reconstruction era laws making a comeback under a new guise. They're just a bit cleverer about it now, they leave the pointy white hoods in the basement where no one can photograph them.
I see the law as a better way to increase the security of the vote and prevent fraud.  Rather than get hyperbolic about it and throwing around the race card in a knee-jerk manner, explain how this electioneering rule is prejudicial to either Democrats or Republicans, Black or White, hungry or full?

jeremyrh

« Reply #9426 on: March 29, 2021, 09:55:06 am »

I don't know if any of you were thinking of inviting Trump to speak at your wedding, but you might want to think again ...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/29/donald-trump-wedding-speech-mar-a-lago

TechTalk

« Reply #9427 on: March 29, 2021, 02:08:51 pm »

Peashooters seemed to be enough to defeat your British Army and Navy in 1776.

Nonsense. The Continental Army fought with the same weapons the British used. They had artillery in the form of cannons, mortars, and howitzers in addition to rifles and muskets. Henry Knox and Alexander Hamilton came to Washington's attention as young artillery officers. The British Navy was ultimately defeated by the French Navy. Thanks France!

Despite Trump's 4th of July speech honoring the soldiers of the Revolutionary War where he said "“Our army manned the air, it rammed the ramparts, it took over the airports, it did everything it had to do, and at Fort McHenry, under the rockets’ red glare, it had nothing but victory.” There was no Battle of the Baggage Claim in 1776 as there were no airplanes or airports and Fort McHenry was the War of 1812 and there were plenty of defeats leading up to victory.

History does not support your viewpoint.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #9428 on: March 29, 2021, 05:11:45 pm »

Apparently according to this article, that's exactly what the regulation does.  So what's the problem? 

The problem is that being 150 feet from the polling place--half a football field--will still entail a long wait. People, particularly older people, may be in need of a drink or a snack. And these long lines are most likely to be in precincts that tend Democratic. And electioneering within these limits is already illegal. So the "no water" provision is just petty nastiness with the blatant goal of scaring off a few more Dem votes.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9429 on: March 29, 2021, 05:26:54 pm »

The problem is that being 150 feet from the polling place--half a football field--will still entail a long wait. People, particularly older people, may be in need of a drink or a snack. And these long lines are most likely to be in precincts that tend Democratic. And electioneering within these limits is already illegal. So the "no water" provision is just petty nastiness with the blatant goal of scaring off a few more Dem votes.

You mean old Republican voters like me don't deserve water too?  :) Your argument is silly.  If someone thinks they need water, or sugar because they're a diabetic, or just like a snack, let them take a sandwich and a Coke from home.  This rule is trying to stop electioneering near the polls, a worthy endeavor.  It's a small part of a total overall plan to assure there's no fraud in elections and to make voting easier with other methods.  What the Democrats want is to do their usually finagling during elections.  They'll be out there handing out bottles of water with the picture of their Decmorat candidate emblazoned on the front of the bottle.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9430 on: March 29, 2021, 05:34:21 pm »

Nonsense. The Continental Army fought with the same weapons the British used. They had artillery in the form of cannons, mortars, and howitzers in addition to rifles and muskets. Henry Knox and Alexander Hamilton came to Washington's attention as young artillery officers. The British Navy was ultimately defeated by the French Navy. Thanks France!

Despite Trump's 4th of July speech honoring the soldiers of the Revolutionary War where he said "“Our army manned the air, it rammed the ramparts, it took over the airports, it did everything it had to do, and at Fort McHenry, under the rockets’ red glare, it had nothing but victory.” There was no Battle of the Baggage Claim in 1776 as there were no airplanes or airports and Fort McHenry was the War of 1812 and there were plenty of defeats leading up to victory.

First off, Britain was not the American army.  They were a foreign power, British troops.  So you're comparing basically a foreign war with a domestic rebellion against an illegal government that has seized power in a coup.  The British army cared little about the Americans.  In fact, they had mercenaries, the German contingent who delighted in killing Americans. That would not be the case in a defense of America against a coup.  The army is America as well and would be hesitant to shoot Americans.  I was in the service,  I can;t imagine having to aim my M16 at another American and shooting him or her to death. 

Regardless of how the fight winds up, to argue, the people should just accept their loss of freedom says something about you, not our Second Amendment. 

TechTalk

« Reply #9431 on: March 29, 2021, 05:41:44 pm »

First off, Britain was not the American army.  They were a foreign power, British troops.  So you're comparing basically a foreign war with a domestic rebellion against an illegal government that has seized power in a coup.  The British army cared little about the Americans.  In fact, they had mercenaries, the German contingent who delighted in killing Americans. That would not be the case in a defense of America against a coup.  The army is America as well and would be hesitant to shoot Americans.  I was in the service,  I can;t imagine having to aim my M16 at another American and shooting him or her to death. 

Regardless of how the fight winds up, to argue, the people should just accept their loss of freedom says something about you, not our Second Amendment.

I have no idea what this incoherent rambling has to do with what I posted regarding your offhand comment that "Peashooters seemed to be enough to defeat your British Army and Navy in 1776."
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 05:47:42 pm by TechTalk »

James Clark

« Reply #9432 on: March 29, 2021, 05:59:02 pm »

It's a small part of a total overall plan to assure there's no fraud in elections and to make voting easier with other methods.  What the Democrats want is to do their usually finagling during elections.  They'll be out there handing out bottles of water with the picture of their Decmorat candidate emblazoned on the front of the bottle.

Bullshit.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #9433 on: March 29, 2021, 06:10:42 pm »

I see the law as a better way to increase the security of the vote and prevent fraud. ...

What election fraud? Are you still peddling that horse manure?

Many so-called democratic legislatures in your country are trying to make it more difficult for people to vote and you don't seem to have a problem with it. Go ahead and spin your bs any way you want, people know full well what's happening and recognize it for what it is. You ought to be ashamed.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9434 on: March 29, 2021, 07:18:54 pm »

Bullshit.

Many so-called democratic legislatures in your country are trying to make it more difficult for people to vote and you don't seem to have a problem with it. Go ahead and spin your bs any way you want, people know full well what's happening and recognize it for what it is. You ought to be ashamed.
Election fraud just a few miles from my house in New Jersey.  My state might be more corrupt than Georgia.  But you never know. Interestingly, I read numerous articles about this and none of them indicated which party they belong to.  I assume they're Democrats as they go for this sort of thing.  But just the fact the papers don't indicate it, shows how they protect Democrats.  In any case, many Democrats would do away with rules that these crooks violated as they commit election fraud to gain political power.

Grand jury indicts Paterson councilmen Mendez, Jackson on voter fraud charges
By Nikita Biryukov, March 03 2021 4:05 pm

A state grand jury indicted two Paterson councilmen on election fraud charges last month, Attorney General Gurbir Grewal announced Wednesday.

Councilmen Alex Mendez and Michael Jackson were charged with election fraud, mail-in ballot fraud, unauthorized possession of ballots, tampering with public records and falsifying records. Mendez faces additional counts of false registration of transfer and attempted false registration or transfer.

“These indictments are an important step in our prosecution of these two sitting city councilmen on charges including second-degree election fraud,” Grewal said. “As we have seen all too clearly in recent months, public confidence in our democratic process is critical. If anyone tampers with an election in New Jersey and threatens that process, we will hold them accountable.”

https://newjerseyglobe.com/governor/grand-jury-indicts-mendez-jackson-on-voter-fraud-charges/

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #9435 on: March 29, 2021, 07:33:52 pm »

Bullshit.

Yikes!  A rare convergence in this thread of two astute sequential posts.

TechTalk

« Reply #9436 on: March 29, 2021, 07:54:31 pm »

France didn't help America until we started to win in 1778, two years after we declared independence and the war began.

More counterfactual historical baloney. So much to correct in just one sentence!

First, the war began in 1775, a year prior to the Declaration of Independence. The Continental Army was formed in June 1775 following the Battles of Lexington and Concord two months earlier that began the war. Covert aid in supplies, munitions, and financing from France began shortly thereafter, much of it channeled thru the French and Dutch West Indies, and continued unofficially until a formal treaty of alliance was signed in February 1778. The supplies and assistance from France from the beginning were crucial to maintaining the army and its ability to fight in the earliest years of the war.

The Battles of Saratoga, in September and October of 1777, were the first major turning point of the war. By this time, France had financed and supplied a vast amount of the war materials needed. Historians estimate that 90% of the arms and nearly all of the gun powder used by the Americans at Saratoga were supplied by France.

It wasn't only material support that came from France prior to the formal alliance. Washington and the Continental Congress realized there was an urgent need for experienced military engineers. Silas Deane, the same American envoy sent to enlist French material support, was also tasked with recruiting volunteer French officers. A Lt. Colonel in the French Royal Corps of Engineers, Louis Lebègue Duportail was secretly sent by France in March, 1777 and appointed as commander of all engineers in the Continental Army in July 1777.

Other French officers were enlisted as well. The most famous, the Marquis de Lafayette, was enlisted by Deane as a major general in the Continental Army in December 1776 and he arrived in June 1777. He was wounded in battle a few months later but stayed with Washington, who gave him command of an American division, and encamped at Valley Forge for the winter. Another French officer that arrived in 1777, and served as a military engineer with Lafayette, was Pierre Charles L'Enfant. L'Enfant is known for developing the basic plan for Washington, D.C., as well as his service in the war, during which he was also wounded.

After the French-American alliance was formalized in February 1778, France dispatched thousands of troops as well as naval forces. The crucial Battle of Yorktown in 1781, that resulted in the surrender of Cornwallis and his encircled army, was half French and half American soldiers with a French fleet blocking British escape by sea. The American Army was led by Washington and Lafayette with the French army led by Rochambeau with Washington having command of the combined forces.

Your dismissiveness of the role that France played in the initial stages of the war and their critical contribution to winning it are a disservice to history. It is, however, consistent with your recent comments dismissive of the need for America to have allies in Europe.

James Clark

« Reply #9437 on: March 29, 2021, 09:06:22 pm »

Yikes!  A rare convergence in this thread of two astute sequential posts.

;D. Sometimes you just have to cut to the main point ;)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #9438 on: March 29, 2021, 09:36:47 pm »

The good news is that, according to Worldometer, the 7-day average deaths per day in the US seems to have dropped to below 1000 recently. I hope it continues to drop as the number of vaccinated people increases. I did see some warnings by the CDC about recent increases in new cases though.

I saw this report about Trump's criticisms of Fauci and Birx, https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/545472-trump-targets-fauci-birx-in-lengthy-diatribe, in which he referred to them as "self-promoters."  He must be too thick to appreciate the irony.
--
Robert

TechTalk

« Reply #9439 on: March 29, 2021, 09:55:16 pm »

Election fraud just a few miles from my house in New Jersey... Grand jury indicts Paterson councilmen Mendez, Jackson on voter fraud charges

Interestingly, I read numerous articles about this and none of them indicated which party they belong toI assume they're Democrats as they go for this sort of thing.  But just the fact the papers don't indicate it, shows how they protect Democrats.

You think maybe that could be due to the fact that many New Jersey municipalities have nonpartisan local elections and Paterson is one of them? Candidates run for municipal office as individuals, not as representatives or nominees of political parties under the New Jersey "Uniform Nonpartisan Elections Law". Other municipalities may have partisan elections depending on their type of municipality classification under NJ law.

Just saying, you might want to look at your assumptions once in awhile.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 10:58:20 pm by TechTalk »
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 809   Go Up