Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 809   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 474718 times)

TechTalk

Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #7740 on: February 19, 2021, 06:33:10 pm »

You are really not paying attention then. 

Two weeks the head of the CDC issued a statement in which she said schools are safe to reopen.  Jen Psaki was asked about this the day after and she said the director was speaking in her own person position (even though it was a CDC press conference).  This past Friday at 5 PM, the CDC changed the reopening policies for schools in which they admitted that took advice from teachers on what the policies would be. 

This is blatant political manipulation of the CDC.

What the CDC director said is NOT "schools are safe to reopen" the remarks were around a question regarding vaccination priorities and teachers and the statement was that "there is increasing data to suggest that schools can safely reopen". Also, she said "taken under recommendation guidance from the states" regarding the prioritization of vaccines NOT "advice from teachers on what the policies would be". And, the latest CDC guidance did NOT contradict the statements made about schools and teacher vaccinations. Just the opposite, the guidance was in agreement with Walensky’s statement that schools could reopen before teachers had been vaccinated. If you think that I'm not paying attention that's fine, but let's get the facts straight.

Question: Great.  I wondered if we could get an update on vaccine prioritization.  I know under the previous administration this was largely left up to states to decide when they wanted to move to the next levels of priority.  But we’re seeing a lot of states open this up for teachers, and it’s kind of created a patchwork.  And I just wondered if the federal government would be working more closely with states to kind of get more vaccinations to teachers in particular so that schools can reopen in the fall.

DR. WALENSKY: Yeah, thank you for that question.  You know, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices has created these guides — this guidance for how we should be thinking about prioritizing among all essential workers and all of the population at large.

You know, those have been taken under recommendation — guidance from the states, and then the states are creating their own individual plans.  And, you know, those plans have to, sort of, be in sync with how they are able to titrate, really, their supply versus the number of people who are wanting it.  We don’t want to be too prescriptive so that they have these queues of people, and yet we don’t want to be too open so that they also have queues of people.  We don’t want to have too much supply on the shelf.

So we’ve left that to the states to manage, in terms of recognizing the prioritization of ACIP, but also manage at their own local level.

That said, I want to be very clear about schools, which is: Yes, ACIP has put teachers in the 1b category, the category of essential workers.  But I also want to be clear that there is increasing data to suggest that schools can safely reopen and that that safe reopening does not suggest that teachers need to be vaccinated in order to reopen safely.

So while we are implementing the criteria of the Advisory Committee and of the state and local guidances to get vaccination across these eligible communities, I would also say that safe reopening of schools is not — that vaccination of teachers is not a prerequisite for safe reopening of schools.

MR. ZIENTS:  Yeah, let me just add here.  You know, President Biden has been very clear that he wants schools to reopen and actually to stay open.  And that means that every school has the equipment and the resources to open safely — not just private schools or schools in wealthy areas, but all schools.  And that’s why we need the American Rescue Plan passed now.  It includes money to get schools better access to testing, enables smaller class sizes, acquire the necessary ventilation, ensure everyone has PPE, and that schools are properly sanitized.  It also includes much-needed funds to support the learning and social, emotional needs of our kids in what has been an extremely, extremely difficult year. So again, Congress has to do its part in order to make sure that we can safely reopen schools and keep them open.

Is there muddled messaging coming from the administration? Yes there is. That does not equate to "blatant political manipulation of the CDC". If anything, it shows that the CDC director isn't being muzzled; that the administration is new; and that getting information out unfiltered is a higher priority right now than everyone singing from the same hymnal.

Like I said, messaging has benn muddled. For an editorial critique of that muddled messaging you can read commentary here from yesterday...

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-02-18/editorial-covid-19-school-reopening
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

faberryman

« Reply #7741 on: February 19, 2021, 06:38:34 pm »

I remember when they first made the deal. I jumped out of my chair when I read these terms.

That sounds about right.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #7742 on: February 19, 2021, 06:40:52 pm »

I'm happy that you and your wife received your full vaccine regimen on time. I genuinely mean that. It must have come as a welcome surprise to you!

4-weeks ago you said: "So now, millions of people will never see their second doses because a political decision was made backed up by CDC bureaucrats who don't want to go against the new president."

Must have been meant as a Figure Of Speech.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #7743 on: February 19, 2021, 06:46:28 pm »

Sorry - I've fallen behind. I spent most of the last two days delivering food to people here in Austin that couldn't get out of their homes, or whose grocery stores lost power and had all their food spoiled.  It was hairy out there, but 4wd, appropriate tires, and 20 years of training people how to manage traction in their cars carried the day.  Sorry for the digression, but I just wanted to point out that I've done a fuckton more for my community in the last two days than Ted Cruz has.

Anyway, are we back to talking about this Iran thing?  Are some people still trying to convince other people that a veritable army of international arms control experts and a UN team of inspectors are all so clueless that they agreed to an inspection deal where the place were the activity was happening wasn't allowed to be inspected?  And that clowns like Hannity know more than those guys?  Really?

Did I mention that the people asking what Ted Cruz could possibly be doing if he stayed are idiots?

That was very nice of you James.

This is how it is supposed to be, people helping other people, rather than waiting for the government to do it.  Its something that I believe gets lost in today's world.

Thanks

Craig Lamson Photo

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #7744 on: February 19, 2021, 06:47:12 pm »

Or a satellite with IR capability, or high-res imaging that can look at materials going on and out or....

Again, do you believe that a full team of the world's leading experts on monitoring and diplomacy just dashed this out on a napkin and didn't think about these things? That they worked up this deal, signed it, and then realized, "D'OH!!!  We forgot about the *military bases*. Nuts. No way to tell what's going in or out of those things.  Oh well."

This is sort of like the nonsense voter fraud stuff where people think you can just wheel in 100,000 pieces of paper and introduce them into the system.  It doesn't work that way.  You can't just build a nuclear centrifuge under a bigass tent and get away with it.
That's exactly what happened.  In any case, they never let us in to see these things saying in effect that hell would freeze over before any inspector would be let into their military bases. 

faberryman

« Reply #7745 on: February 19, 2021, 06:52:07 pm »

Again, do you believe that a full team of the world's leading experts on monitoring and diplomacy just dashed this out on a napkin and didn't think about these things? That they worked up this deal, signed it, and then realized, "D'OH!!!  We forgot about the *military bases*. Nuts. No way to tell what's going in or out of those things.  Oh well."

That's exactly what happened.

I am not sure whether Alan's response is a exaggeration, a figure of speech, a over-simplification, or exactly what, but I am thinking maybe a request for some supporting evidence from a reliable source would be in order. Unless it is just an unfounded opinion, in which case he is free to express it as long as he identifies it as such.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 06:55:13 pm by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #7746 on: February 19, 2021, 06:54:57 pm »

I am not sure whether that is a exaggeration, a figure of speech, a over-simplification, or exactly what, but I am thinking maybe a request for some supporting evidence from a reliable source would be in order. Unless it is just an unfounded opinion, in which case he is free to express it as long as he identifies it as such.
I speak English.  So let me repeat.  That's exactly what happened.

James Clark

« Reply #7747 on: February 19, 2021, 06:55:24 pm »

This is how it is supposed to be, people helping other people, rather than waiting for the government to do it.  Its something that I believe gets lost in today's world.

Thanks

Thanks Craig - appreciate it. 

I happened to be in a situation where I had a skillset that made a minor difference in a time when it was needed.  I hope most of us in the same situation would do the same.

faberryman

« Reply #7748 on: February 19, 2021, 06:57:10 pm »

Okay, so just shoot me a link so I can further educate myself. Sounds like something I need to look into.

TechTalk

« Reply #7749 on: February 19, 2021, 07:02:40 pm »

How can you suspect and show anything is going on there before making an inspection?  The whole rule is preposterous. It's a Catch 22.

Multiple ways using both science and intelligence.

There was no way to verify anything unless you're Superman and have X-ray vision.

Absurd. Things have changed in the last 100-years.

On the other hand, I think the deal ends in 2015 or so anyway.

What?

I'm sure they'll ask for a Senate-approved treaty fearing Trump may become president in 2024 and cancel the deal again.

You're sure of a great many things for which there is no certainty.

Fecklessness.

Ridiculousness.

TechTalk

« Reply #7750 on: February 19, 2021, 07:10:04 pm »

Our CIA does a better job spying on our own president than knowing what's going on in the Middle East.

Eye roll time.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #7751 on: February 19, 2021, 07:12:21 pm »

Okay, so just shoot me a link so I can further educate myself. Sounds like something I need to look into.
Well, you can Google it or just take my word for it.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #7752 on: February 19, 2021, 07:14:41 pm »

I am not sure whether Alan's response is a exaggeration, a figure of speech, a over-simplification, or exactly what . . .

Sounds about right.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #7753 on: February 19, 2021, 07:15:11 pm »

Multiple ways using both science and intelligence.

Absurd. Things have changed in the last 100-years.

What?

You're sure of a great many things for which there is no certainty.

Ridiculousness.

That's how we got into the Iraq War.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7754 on: February 19, 2021, 07:18:17 pm »

Well, we were happily talking about the power outage in Texas, and Amazon being cowered into submission by AOC, until you mentioned you got your second vaccine dose today thanks to Trump's Operation Warp Speed. If you don't want us to talk about Trump, quit bringing him up.
And while we were talking power out in Texas, AOC, lying Ted Cruz:
While Sen. Ted Cruz was dealing with the fallout from his trip to Cancun, two of his Democratic political nemeses — Beto O'Rourke and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez — raised money and offered resources to Texans hit hard by this week's winter storm.
Ocasio-Cortez, a Democratic congresswoman from New York who has frequently sparred with Cruz, launched a fundraiser on Twitter and raised $1 million by Thursday evening.
And when I first brought up Cruz leaving for Mexico, who said “its a well deserved vacation” and “whats he supposed to do?”. Utter lack of empathy.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

faberryman

« Reply #7755 on: February 19, 2021, 07:31:13 pm »

Well, the reason I ask is, if the US forgot all about inspecting military sites, why is there this elaborate mechanism in the agreement setting forth the terms and conditions pursuant to which the UN inspectors can request to inspect the military sites, and the terms and conditions pursuant to which Iran is either required to allow the inspection or to deny access. It seems like if the US forgot about inspecting military sites, you wouldn't have such a provision in the agreement.

If you would like to read more about the issue of inspection of military sites under the agreement, this is a good summary:

https://www.fdd.org/analysis/2018/04/04/the-iaeas-right-and-obligation-to-inspect-military-facilities-in-iran/

Not only that, but there were a lot of news articles at the time about the issue of inspecting military sites. Here is one example. It discusses Iran blinking and agreeing to the inspection of military sites.

http://iran-times.com/will-allow-nuke-inspectors-on-military-bases/

Not sure how there would be lots of news articles about inspecting military sites if the US forgot all about inspecting military sites.

To refresh your recollection, here was the exchange:

That's exactly what happened.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 07:13:54 am by faberryman »

TechTalk

« Reply #7756 on: February 19, 2021, 07:34:23 pm »

That's how we got into the Iraq War.

You chose the wrong line. The U.S. told inspectors to leave Iraq prior to the invasion.

The correct line would have been being sure of a great many things for which there is no certainty.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7757 on: February 19, 2021, 07:35:45 pm »

Absolutely not the 2nd option. 🤮
 "A belief is not evidence”- Judge Linda Parker
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

TechTalk

« Reply #7758 on: February 19, 2021, 07:37:34 pm »

That's what we've grown to expect.

James Clark

« Reply #7759 on: February 19, 2021, 07:56:41 pm »

Thanks

I'm sure you would have done the same in an equivalent situation.   It was a real problem though - there just weren't enough people here that COULD have done anything - heck, the city doesn't even own a snow plough.  (Pix of what we were dealing with attached...)  People in your neck of the woods are probably like, "that's nothing," but cars and drivers here have the wrong equipment and no experience for this stuff, and no one has any way to treat the roads, plus it hasn't been above freezing since it snowed. (Changed today, thankfully.)  On the plus side, Jeep has earned my business forever.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 08:00:53 pm by James Clark »
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 809   Go Up