Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 809   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 474275 times)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #9400 on: March 27, 2021, 09:39:05 pm »

I would say they are in Europe for both our purposes.

Sure, the USA wouldn't be if it weren't for their own purposes. It happens to align with European purposes, which is a good thing (from a European (and a USA) perspective). In a global village, one benefits if one's neighbor/trading partner benefits.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #9401 on: March 28, 2021, 07:08:39 am »

The state of Georgia is hell-bent on making it more difficult to vote, https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/545147-democrats-see-georgia-as-opening-salvo-in-war-on-voting-rights. Their faith in democracy is heart-warming, maybe even aspirational. I guess it's important that only the right people get to vote though, otherwise you risk having the wrong people elected into office.
--
Robert

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #9402 on: March 28, 2021, 09:14:20 am »

Nice to see irony is alive and kicking!

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #9403 on: March 28, 2021, 11:28:44 am »

The state of Georgia is hell-bent on making it more difficult to vote, https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/545147-democrats-see-georgia-as-opening-salvo-in-war-on-voting-rights. Their faith in democracy is heart-warming, maybe even aspirational. I guess it's important that only the right people get to vote though, otherwise you risk having the wrong people elected into office.

The bottom of the barrel is making it illegal to give food and water to people waiting in line to vote. I haven't heard even a bad justification for this.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #9404 on: March 28, 2021, 01:19:42 pm »

The bottom of the barrel is making it illegal to give food and water to people waiting in line to vote. I haven't heard even a bad justification for this.

The excuse they use is that it violates some vague "coercion of voters with gifts" principle.  Gimme a break.

Republicans really have jumped the shark with this latest round of voter suppression attempts.  Despicable, yet oddly transparent.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9405 on: March 28, 2021, 01:53:19 pm »

The law in NY requires no campaigning within 100 feet of a polling booth and location where people vote.  No signs, no handshakes, no nothing.  It's been around for at least 50 years that I recall.  It's purpose is to prevent encouragement, harassment, and other attempts to influence people to vote one way or the other.  This rule seems to be similar.  In all my years voting, I've never seen anyone give out food or water.    I could just see waiting in a line to vote, and along comes someone who hands me a bottle of water with the comment, "Courtesy of Jim Smith".  Of course, Jim Smith is on the ballot. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 01:59:14 pm by Alan Klein »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9406 on: March 28, 2021, 03:05:15 pm »

Where is the 2nd Amendment when you need one?

Report: Myanmar forces fire on funeral; crackdown continues
https://apnews.com/article/world-news-aung-san-suu-kyi-yangon-myanmar-united-nations-731c4e4dc6ce99a9c8a3bf9f39b4ba9a

TechTalk

« Reply #9407 on: March 28, 2021, 08:23:35 pm »

Thanks for calling! Because it's the weekend, the 2nd Amendment is currently busy at a gun show selling to individuals, of unknown background or mental condition, 100-round drum magazines attached to combat-ready high-velocity rifles with nifty bump stocks that will effectively convert them into machine guns to show off at the next G.I. Joe costumed militia meeting or mass shooting event. The seller isn't licensed; but, that's OK because they're a "private seller"; so, it's legal. And remember, what happened in Vegas, doesn't always stay in Vegas.

https://www.findlaw.com/consumer/consumer-transactions/private-gun-sale-laws-by-state
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

TechTalk

« Reply #9408 on: March 28, 2021, 08:29:53 pm »

https://apnews.com/article/world-news-aung-san-suu-kyi-yangon-myanmar-united-nations-731c4e4dc6ce99a9c8a3bf9f39b4ba9a

Russia says it is seeking to strengthen military ties with Myanmar - March 26, 2021

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/russia-myanmar-strengthen-military-ties

Russia wants to strengthen military ties with Myanmar, its state media reported on Friday (Mar 26), after a meeting between top defence officials and a junta condemned by Western countries for killing hundreds of civilian protesters.

Russia's deputy defence minister, Alexander Fomin, met in the capital Naypyidaw on Friday with junta leader Senior General Min Aung Hlaing, who seized power in a Feb 1 coup that triggered weeks of nationwide protests and a lethal response by security forces.

Fomin said Myanmar was a reliable ally and strategic partner of Russia in Asia, state-run TASS said, during a visit that came a day ahead of a big parade to mark Myanmar's Armed Forces Day, the military's most prestigious event.

In a video shown on the Russian Defence Ministry's Zvezda TV, Fomin is seen shaking hands and receiving a medal and a ceremonial sword from Min Aung Hlaing in a meeting room full of military officers in green uniforms.

The visit is the firmest sign yet of Russia's support for the new military rulers in Myanmar, amid outrage in the West and deep concern among its Asian neighbours, some of which have condemned the violence against civilians and urged the restoration of Aung San Suu Kyi's elected government.

The United States, Britain, Australia and the European Union have imposed sanctions on the ruling military council and the army's vast network of businesses.

Defence ties between Russia and Myanmar have grown in recent years with Moscow providing army training and university scholarships, as well as selling arms to a military blacklisted by several Western countries for alleged atrocities against civilians.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Peter McLennan

« Reply #9409 on: March 28, 2021, 08:59:23 pm »

...Defence ties between Russia and Myanmar have grown in recent years...

But hey. Nothin' personal. Just business.

Kinda like Raytheon et al.

James Clark

« Reply #9410 on: March 28, 2021, 10:33:21 pm »

The law in NY requires no campaigning within 100 feet of a polling booth and location where people vote.  No signs, no handshakes, no nothing.  It's been around for at least 50 years that I recall.  It's purpose is to prevent encouragement, harassment, and other attempts to influence people to vote one way or the other.  This rule seems to be similar.  In all my years voting, I've never seen anyone give out food or water.    I could just see waiting in a line to vote, and along comes someone who hands me a bottle of water with the comment, "Courtesy of Jim Smith".  Of course, Jim Smith is on the ballot.

As you said, it’s already illegal to campaign within x feet of a polling place. What is it “conservatives” love to say?   Oh yeah, “just enforce the laws that are already on the books.  We don’t need MORE useless laws.” 

Don’t defend this (or any other Republican voter integrity) nonsense, Alan. It stinks from the picture of 6 white guys signing the law under a painting of a slave plantation (awesome picture to have in the governors office, btw) right on down.

degrub

« Reply #9411 on: March 28, 2021, 11:46:35 pm »

But hey. Nothin' personal. Just business.

Kinda like Raytheon et al.

That arrangement has to  irritate China a little as they will have to share the belt and suspenders roadway with Russia now. Of course it is par for the course for Russia to find an easy way to create a crisis for the West and Western ethics.....

jeremyrh

« Reply #9412 on: March 29, 2021, 07:08:40 am »

Dunno - does anyone have any insight into the Myanmar constitution?  Apart from Alan, I mean.

More seriously - the Myanmar military have lots of big weapons, as displayed in their parade at the weekend. Like in the US, when push comes to shove, if The Man comes for you, He comes for you, and your little pea-shooters won't make a ha'porth of difference.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9413 on: March 29, 2021, 07:09:29 am »

As you said, it’s already illegal to campaign within x feet of a polling place. What is it “conservatives” love to say?   Oh yeah, “just enforce the laws that are already on the books.  We don’t need MORE useless laws.” 

Don’t defend this (or any other Republican voter integrity) nonsense, Alan. It stinks from the picture of 6 white guys signing the law under a painting of a slave plantation (awesome picture to have in the governors office, btw) right on down.
It's not nonsense.  It's to prevent electioneering near the voting booths.  I'm not defending Georgia or anyone else.  I'm just telling you what seems reasonable in NY and New Jersey where I now live,  both Yankee states, that outlawed electioneering near the polls decades ago.  Politicians can hand out water and "vote for me" pins as long as they're more than 100 feet away from the voting place.  Usually, there's a cop outside to enforce that and also a cop inside the voting place to keep order.  They put a sign up at hundred feet saying no electioneering past this point. That sounds reasonable to me.  In all the years I've voted, I've never seen anyone handing out water or food to people online waiting to vote.  This works both ways for Democrats and Republicans.  Can you imagine handing out bottles engraved with a candidate's name right before you go into the voting booth?

Here's the NJ statute:
Section 19:34-15 Electioneering within or about polling place; disorderly persons offense.

19:34-15. If a person shall distribute or display any circular or printed matter or offer any suggestion or solicit any support for any candidate, party or public question within the polling place or room or within a distance of one hundred feet of the outside entrance to such polling place or room, he shall be guilty of a disorderly persons offense.

jeremyrh

« Reply #9414 on: March 29, 2021, 07:15:35 am »

Can you imagine handing out bottles engraved with a candidate's name right before you go into the voting booth?

Here's the NJ statute:
Section 19:34-15 Electioneering within or about polling place; disorderly persons offense.

19:34-15. If a person shall distribute or display any circular or printed matter or offer any suggestion or solicit any support for any candidate, party or public question within the polling place or room or within a distance of one hundred feet of the outside entrance to such polling place or room, he shall be guilty of a disorderly persons offense.

Seems like that is specifically prohibited by the law you quote?

jeremyrh

« Reply #9415 on: March 29, 2021, 07:17:08 am »

By the way - has anyone noticed a deterioration in the forum since the departure of our dear Moderator?  No?  Me neither.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9416 on: March 29, 2021, 07:17:59 am »

Dunno - does anyone have any insight into the Myanmar constitution?  Apart from Alan, I mean.

More seriously - the Myanmar military have lots of big weapons, as displayed in their parade at the weekend. Like in the US, when push comes to shove, if The Man comes for you, He comes for you, and your little pea-shooters won't make a ha'porth of difference.
Meanwhile, Syria had to invite in the Russian air force to help them quell a rebellion that's still going on.  Peashooters seemed to be enough to defeat your British Army and Navy in 1776.  In any case, you're assuming an Army will defend a dictator rather than the constitution they've sworn an oath to protect and that there will be no military units opposed to the dictator.  History does not support your viewpoint. Imagine if every Myanmar was armed right now?  They're mainly fighting without arms.  Can you imagine their strength if they were armed with AR15's?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9417 on: March 29, 2021, 07:22:35 am »

Seems like that is specifically prohibited by the law you quote?
I quoted NJ statute.  It's only the law in New Jersey where I now live.  Each state has to have its own ordinances and laws. NJ's voting rules have no effect in Georgia or any other state. Each state regulates its own voting.  I have no idea what the State of Georgia ordinances are or were. 

James Clark

« Reply #9418 on: March 29, 2021, 08:13:02 am »

I quoted NJ statute.  It's only the law in New Jersey where I now live.  Each state has to have its own ordinances and laws. NJ's voting rules have no effect in Georgia or any other state. Each state regulates its own voting.  I have no idea what the State of Georgia ordinances are or were.

Stop making excuses for voter suppression, and stop being a hypocrite about “too much regulation”.

GA code:

(a) No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any person distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition, nor shall any person, other than election officials discharging their duties, establish or set up any tables or booths on any day in which ballots are being cast:

(1) Within 150 feet of the outer edge of any building within which a polling place is established;

(2) Within any polling place;  or

(3) Within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place.

James Clark

« Reply #9419 on: March 29, 2021, 08:20:39 am »

Meanwhile, Syria had to invite in the Russian air force to help them quell a rebellion that's still going on.  Peashooters seemed to be enough to defeat your British Army and Navy in 1776.  In any case, you're assuming an Army will defend a dictator rather than the constitution they've sworn an oath to protect and that there will be no military units opposed to the dictator.  History does not support your viewpoint. Imagine if every Myanmar was armed right now?  They're mainly fighting without arms.  Can you imagine their strength if they were armed with AR15's?

France had a little bit to do with 1776 1781, and an embedded gun culture didn’t help Argentinians much in 1976.
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 809   Go Up