Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 808   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 470533 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #8720 on: March 09, 2021, 02:47:29 pm »

I must have missed something, where did this come from?
Joe's belief in actual 'fake news', then when shown it's fake, more absurd excuses for his writing errors:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/joe-biden-n-word-recorded-speech/
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #8721 on: March 09, 2021, 03:56:24 pm »

Biden has always had trouble expressing himself. He has trouble with some words, and his stumbles are his efforts to get around what he can't get out of his mouth because he stutters.

I've never met Biden, but one of his oldest friends and closest advisors told me some years ago, following another well-publicized gaffe, that he was much more fluent in private conversation than when speaking extemporaneously in front of TV cameras—a phenomenon this person attributed to the concentration Biden needed to summon to control his stutter in a public setting, which forced him to focus his attention on the way his words sounded rather than the ideas he intended them to convey.  My informant may have been trying in part to apologize for his friend, but his explanation had a ring of truth it.

We've had a number of occasionally inarticulate modern presidents: Eisenhower, Reagan, Ford, both Bushes, Trump, and now Biden.  Their garbled syntax and puzzling comments apparently were not caused by muddled thinking, except for Reagan, who probably was suffering from dementia toward the end of his second term, and Trump, whose thoughts tended to veer off in bizarre directions (perhaps the result of dementia but also possibly reflecting his psychological issues).

Biden seems finally to have mastered the use of the teleprompter.  Or maybe it's just that his advisors have finally persuaded him to stay on-script, which was a frequent problem while he was vice president.  It's an acquired skill and it's more difficult than it superficially might seem to be.  He reads comfortably and his intonation is a good match for the meaning of his words.  Trump never got the hang of it.  When he stayed on script, he sounded like a robot, and when he strayed off script, he sounded ... ahh, how to put it charitably ... like some synapses were experiencing electrical interference.

The most articulate presidents in my experience were Nixon, Kennedy, Clinton, and Obama.

TechTalk

« Reply #8722 on: March 09, 2021, 04:03:24 pm »

Biden is no longer sentient.

Sentient? Sentient is a word often used in philosophical or religious discussions relating to an ability to perceive, feel, or be aware of emotional or physical stimulus such as sadness, happiness, fear, stress, pain, heat, cold, etc. and I've heard it used in that context. The word comes up in discussions of animal rights or the rights of patients in a persistent vegetative state or other comparable situations. In science fiction you will see or hear it applied to conscious self-awareness in computers, robots, machines, and the like.

I've not heard sentient applied to cognitive abilities like language or memory. Why do I get the feeling you're just throwing out a word you've heard before without really knowing what it means?
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8723 on: March 09, 2021, 04:04:56 pm »

Missing syntax.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #8724 on: March 09, 2021, 04:05:47 pm »

There's a difference between gaffes and dementia or Alzheimer onset.  Anyone can see Biden is in trouble mentally.

I can't see it either. So... False.
-MattB

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #8725 on: March 09, 2021, 04:07:54 pm »

Why do I get the feeling you're just throwing out a word you've heard before without really knowing what it means?
Easy: his posting history. Outlined just today with multiple examples.
"Mr (Joe) Malaprop", often aided by you know who, the fellow who accuses others of saying he is lying which isn't true.
Malapropism
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 04:17:38 pm by digitaldog »

TechTalk

« Reply #8726 on: March 09, 2021, 04:25:07 pm »

Missing syntax.

Sorry. Syntax is not the word which applies to your image. Or to use different syntax... The word which applies to your image is not syntax. Syntax applies to sentence structure and word order—not word choice.

Why do I get the feeling you're just throwing out a word you've heard before without really knowing what it means?

faberryman

« Reply #8727 on: March 09, 2021, 04:53:53 pm »

I must have missed something, where did this come from?

You have not been paying attention any Biden talks lately then. 

You did see the one where he accidently used the n-word.  Google captions even spelled it out when you turned it on.

TechTalk

« Reply #8728 on: March 09, 2021, 05:12:16 pm »

I've never met Biden, but one of his oldest friends and closest advisors told me some years ago, following another well-publicized gaffe, that he was much more fluent in private conversation than when speaking extemporaneously in front of TV cameras—a phenomenon this person attributed to the concentration Biden needed to summon to control his stutter in a public setting, which forced him to focus his attention on the way his words sounded rather than the ideas he intended them to convey.  My informant may have been trying in part to apologize for his friend, but his explanation had a ring of truth it.

A very good article that I've read on Joe Biden's stuttering was written by a journalist with a rather severe stutter himself. He recognizes the more subtle clues when Biden is looking for a path around a problem word when he's likely or about to stutter. He's also able to differentiate fairly well the verbal gaffes caused by the stutter from the genuine mistakes.

When Biden talks about his stutter, he talks about overcoming it, referring to it in the past tense. He's less open about the fact that it's still a challenge; though I have heard him say that he sometimes still stutters when he's tired.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/01/joe-biden-stutter-profile

What Joe Biden Can’t Bring Himself to Say

His verbal stumbles have voters worried about his mental fitness. Maybe they’d be more understanding if they knew he’s still fighting a stutter.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #8729 on: March 09, 2021, 05:58:00 pm »

Maybe they’d be more understanding if they knew he’s still fighting a stutter.
A few here, with a proven lack of empathy; not likely.  😰

JoeKitchen

« Reply #8730 on: March 09, 2021, 06:19:35 pm »

Fortunately, Kamala Harris is there to take over at a moment's notice.

That would be bad news for the Dems.  Much like Hsian-T'ung, Biden is a Manchurian candidate there to sign bills while giving the illusion of being a moderate.  Harris would not work so well. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

JoeKitchen

« Reply #8731 on: March 09, 2021, 06:24:41 pm »

Sentient? Sentient is a word often used in philosophical or religious discussions relating to an ability to perceive, feel, or be aware of emotional or physical stimulus such as sadness, happiness, fear, stress, pain, heat, cold, etc. and I've heard it used in that context. The word comes up in discussions of animal rights or the rights of patients in a persistent vegetative state or other comparable situations. In science fiction you will see or hear it applied to conscious self-awareness in computers, robots, machines, and the like.

I've not heard sentient applied to cognitive abilities like language or memory. Why do I get the feeling you're just throwing out a word you've heard before without really knowing what it means?

You sound like a left wing fact checker.  Overall, what is being said is correct, but the syntax is off a bit, so I will rate it mostly false.  LOL. 

Get real man. 

He forgot the name of a man he recently (supposedly) nominated for the number one most important secretary position.  That is a real problem. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #8732 on: March 09, 2021, 06:25:23 pm »

That would be bad news for the Dems. 
Harris would not work so well.
You are speaking AS a “Dem” (Democrat) for ALL Democrats?
Because you don't speak for me, it would be fine/good news for me. Speaking for myself. Something you and Alan can't seem to fathom.
"I don't speak for others and they don't speak for me"-Arthur Conan Doyle
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 06:29:47 pm by digitaldog »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #8733 on: March 09, 2021, 06:28:29 pm »

You sound like a left wing fact checker. 
"Facts are facts and will not disappear on account of your likes."
-Jawaharlal Nehru
Overall, what you've written fails peer review (if I can be so kind).

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #8734 on: March 09, 2021, 06:29:30 pm »

You sound like a left wing fact checker.  Overall, what is being said is correct, but the syntax is off a bit, so I will rate it mostly false.  LOL. 

Get real man. 

He forgot the name of a man he recently (supposedly) nominated for the number one most important secretary position.  That is a real problem.

Maybe, but a much smaller problem than the vindictiveness, constant BS, and willful ignorance we just experienced under the last guy.
I forget people's names I should remember sometimes too.
-MattB

JoeKitchen

« Reply #8735 on: March 09, 2021, 06:36:18 pm »

Maybe, but a much smaller problem than the vindictiveness, constant BS, and willful ignorance we just experienced under the last guy.
I forget people's names I should remember sometimes too.

Perhaps, but I find it to be a real issue.  In that video it did not seem like it was a casual slip up, but like he truly had no idea whom he was talking about.  I've seen the same exact face on my grandfather. 

No one gives two shits about most of the secretaries, especially of transportation, but of Defense and State, they are paramount.  Not to mention he forgot the name of probably the third most recognizable and well known building in government. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #8736 on: March 09, 2021, 06:40:28 pm »

No one gives two shits about most of the secretaries, especially of transportation, but of Defense and State, they are paramount.  Not to mention he forgot the name of probably the third most recognizable and well known building in government.
Speaking for everyone; speaking rubbish for everyone.
You are entitled to have an opinion. I am just letting you know that it is stupid.
Your feet are getting close to your tonsils sir.
Rick Perry forgot... 😝

faberryman

« Reply #8737 on: March 09, 2021, 07:05:46 pm »

Rick Perry forgot... 😝

I am not entirely convinced he knew to begin with.

TechTalk

« Reply #8738 on: March 09, 2021, 07:12:58 pm »

In that video it did not seem like it was a casual slip up, but like he truly had no idea whom he was talking about.  I've seen the same exact face on my grandfather. 

What does the face of someone trying to avoid and mask stuttering in public look like? Ahhh... you know what? Just go on with your skewed narrative of Biden and assign every verbal stumble, prolonged pause, or gaffe to cognitive decline. Nothing is likely to have any influence on your viewpoint when your desire to believe something is so intense.

While you get your next Biden narrative cued up, I'll just point out... Someone that can't remember the difference between simple words like then and than, or a host of other words, criticizing the cognitive abilities of someone based on their language skills seems pretty rich indeed, especially when it's aimed at someone with a well known speech impediment. [rich: as in, (of a remark) causing ironic amusement]
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 10:28:25 pm by TechTalk »

TechTalk

« Reply #8739 on: March 09, 2021, 07:22:47 pm »

You sound like a left wing fact checker.

Thanks!

You sound like someone who has handed his reason over to a simplistic ideology.
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 808   Go Up