Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas weave "slant"  (Read 633 times)

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Canvas weave "slant"
« on: October 24, 2020, 08:33:56 am »

I'm fairly new to canvas and linen printing, and not selling prints professionally so my throughput is low.  I just loaded and made a 1st print on a new 44" roll of Epson Canvas Exhibition Matt and the weave is (the best way I can describe it) slanted.  In every other roll of canvas or linen I've printed on (admittedly only 1/2 a dozen or so) the weave has been perfectly parallel to the edge of the print. On this print if I follow a single weave, over 24" it's offset by 2".  This is pretty significant and it was immediately obvious when I looked at the print.  It looks very weird to me.

I do plan to call Epson on Monday to see what they say.  I wondered if this is abnormal, ie a defective roll?  Anyone seen this before? 

Thanks

Mike

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Canvas weave "slant"
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 08:46:16 am »

I should also add that I have double checked the load and tension of the roll.  Both OK so the printer does not seem to be the cause.  Final nail for the roll is that I rescued the very 1st piece off the roll from the bin.  It was a nozzle check after a PK-MK switch and it shows the same slant at both leading and cut edges.

mearussi

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 09:34:05 am »

I'm fairly new to canvas and linen printing, and not selling prints professionally so my throughput is low.  I just loaded and made a 1st print on a new 44" roll of Epson Canvas Exhibition Matt and the weave is (the best way I can describe it) slanted.  In every other roll of canvas or linen I've printed on (admittedly only 1/2 a dozen or so) the weave has been perfectly parallel to the edge of the print. On this print if I follow a single weave, over 24" it's offset by 2".  This is pretty significant and it was immediately obvious when I looked at the print.  It looks very weird to me.

I do plan to call Epson on Monday to see what they say.  I wondered if this is abnormal, ie a defective roll?  Anyone seen this before? 

Thanks

Mike

I've printer on a lot of canvasses but have never seen what (I think) you're describing.

You're going to have to post a photo of that for me to know what you're talking about.

chez

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 09:42:44 am »

Thanks

Mike

What does the canvas look like without going through the printer. If the weave is slanted right on the roll, send it back to Epson for a replacement.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 09:48:20 am »

Hopefully these show what I mean.  I didn't think I could show the kew over a long edge so this is a close up, but still obvious.  You can see how slanted the weave is against the cut.  These are both sides of the nozzle check, ie 1st 2 inches of  the roll.  The print which is 29 x 36 is perfectly centered on the canvas which was the next thing printed, and as I mentioned the roll is properly aligned, no skew, and the tension is the same both sides.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 09:49:37 am »

What does the canvas look like without going through the printer. If the weave is slanted right on the roll, send it back to Epson for a replacement.

Yes it is, hopefully the images above show that clearly.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 10:03:27 am »

A couple more.  1st showing an rule running across the print, parallel to the print and (should be) the weave.
2nd showing a close up of the weave at the edge of the rule (without moving the rule of course), and how slanted it it.

mearussi

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 12:32:05 pm »

Interesting. I don't recall seeing this on the other canvasses I've printed, though I've also never looked for it either. I also tend to choose the canvas with the smallest noticeable weave which may be a reason I've never seen it. Next time I have a chance I'll check the ones I have.

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 06:03:58 pm »

I've noticed it to a lesser degree on canvas before. My big issue is that when I have a spool like this I seem to have more problems with skew when loading it into the printer. I don't know if that's actually related or just coincidence and confirmation bias.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 05:52:43 am »

I contacted Epson yesterday.  I could not find a selection for support of papers/canvas etc so I used the selection for the printer.  I got a reply back asking for photos so I sent them in together with a full description.  Waiting to hear back.

Mike

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 08:55:52 pm »

Epson are sending a new roll.
Pages: [1]   Go Up