Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laminating fine art print  (Read 2235 times)

MichaelKoerner

• www.medien-atelier.at
Re: Laminating fine art print
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2022, 05:40:39 pm »

paper does have grain. If you try and fold it across the grain, it will tend to give you an ugly crack. Turn it 90 degrees, and you will see the fold comes out quite smooth.

+1

The technical term is machine direction, I guess. You can
identify it's direction by bending a square (!) piece of your paper in both directions. You will notice that in one direction it bends more easily - this indicates the direction you should use for creasing/bending.

In many cases, machine direction goes with the long side of a paper. Since you are printing leporellos (loooong prints ;-) I guess you a creasing/bending perpendicular to the long side. So John could be dead-on.

On the other hand, inkjet coatings make paper surfaces kind of brittle (I see that effect when cutting coated matte papers like FineArt Velvet from the back side). So perhaps lamination is the way to go, no matter how you grease/bend. In this case you'd better use some glossy RC paper (or the like) with smooth surface - I see no advantage in using Rag Photographique here.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 01:04:25 am by MichaelKoerner »

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
Re: Laminating fine art print
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2022, 01:19:40 am »

You could try hahnemuhle book and album which is printable on both sides and has the grain aligned with the short side.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up