Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MacPro with 2 graphic cards but one card shows 2 displays, the other none  (Read 397 times)

ymc226

Forgive me for my lack of understanding of specific computer functions but I have the following question.  I have the last generation cylinder MacPro, 6 core, 3.5 gHz, 32 GB RAM and 2 AMD FirePro D700 with 6 GB each.  When I go too system report, one video card has no displays associated with it while the other card drives both displays.  Is this the correct configuration for the best performance?

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website

When I go too system report, one video card has no displays associated with it while the other card drives both displays.  Is this the correct configuration for the best performance?

Yes, that's the default, and correct, MacOS configuration.  Controlling a display is not a very demanding task for a graphics processor.  The idea behind bundling two GPUs into the 2013 Mac Pro was that applications would use the second one for general-purpose computation.  That requires explicit code in the application software.  (Some applications provide it; many others do not.)  But painting an image and updating your displays is certainly not placing an excessive burden on the graphics device that is driving both of them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up