Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wide-Eyed  (Read 2197 times)

Manoli

Re: Wide-Eyed
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2020, 01:23:40 pm »

Keith, Chris,
Thank you.

FabienP

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2020, 05:35:09 pm »

What I am wondering is why did Fujinon make a 50mm f/1 lens, when they already have 56mm f/1.2 which is practically the same, and a great portrait lens.

What comes to usefulness of having a super fast lens it really never hurts, except the neck and the wallet.

When I was still working I often used the Sigma Art 50mm f/1.4 wide open for facial portraits. Either for some caricature effect (for cabinet ministers and PM...) or for nice soft focus effect, like in the attached sample. If you wonder about the funny hat, that is the high school graduation head gear traditionally used in Scandinavia.

Nikon D800e, Sigma Art 50mm at f/1.4 1/3200 sec.

Because of focal length and f-stop equivalence between APS-C and full frame, your 50 f/1.4 would only be matched by a 75 mm @ f0.9 on APS-C sensors. I suppose the difference between a f/1.2 and f/1.0 lens was deemed sufficient by Fuji to introduce a new lens.

They should have released a f/0.95 lens to match Nikon in marketings terms (albeit with an APS-C sensor). Still a long way to go to match the f/0.7 lens that was used to shoot the candlelight scenes in Barry Lyndon on 70 mm film.

Meanwhile, a Voigtländer APO Lanthar 50 mm f/2 on E-Mount will get a very nice bokeh at full aperture at a very reasonable cost and size.

Cheers,
Fabien

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2020, 11:29:03 am »

Current fashion, and maybe fashion going back to Rembrandt, is to have sharp eye(s) and the rest soft to a varying degree. Since the Sony eye focus feature arrived, I've really enjoyed photographing my grandchildren with my 85mm f/1.8 at f/2 and getting eyelash counting eye sharpness and not worrying about the rest.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up