Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MF vs 35mm  (Read 2878 times)

mahleu

• 500px
MF vs 35mm
« on: December 10, 2006, 09:59:08 am »

I can get a 5D or a PhaseOne P20 for around the same price. Which would you go for and why? I'd like to be able to use either for pretty much anything.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
MF vs 35mm
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 01:13:43 pm »

I can get a 5D or a PhaseOne P20 for around the same price. Which would you go for and why? I'd like to be able to use either for pretty much anything.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89697\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Do you understand the square chip of the P20 and the crop factor it introduces on a 645 system?

The widest lense easily available for 645 systems is 35mm - not wide enough if your definition of 'anything' includes wide images

I would say a normal range of lenses required to photograph 'anything' would start at 24 (35mm full frame) - you cant get that with a P20 without getting some pretty esoteric kit

Generally I would say go for a 5d

THe P20 can have its place in very specific part(s) of the market

Typically

-If you own a significant 645 kit you are looking to digitise on a budget

-If you shoot table top studio and are looking to intergrate with a view camera

- if you shoot weddings or portrait and enjoy delivering square images and are sure you can live without wide

-If you are sure that you are going full frame 645 in the future and want a stepped finincail route into this system

I would also suggest that most 645 shooters who are equipped to photograph 'anything' also have something like a 5d for backup anyway where decent AF or ISO or long lenses are needed

Most likely it is sensible to go 5d

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

ddolde

MF vs 35mm
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 03:21:16 pm »

A P20 for under $3K?   I'd snap that up in a heartbeat.  Undoubtedly better image quality and 16 Megapixels to boot. To me there would be no choice.  

The P20 HAS an upgrade path...the 5D has none except another Canon body.

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
MF vs 35mm
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 08:50:25 pm »

Also think in terms of creative freedom and usability. In my hands, I have been more creative with 35mm based cameras than medium format. The most significant reason to use larger format has usually been for a boost in image quality. In the choices of equipment you have presented, I do not think you will see a significant, if any, quality improvement in the P20 to make up for the loss of flexibility and convenience.
Dr D White DDS BSc
Pages: [1]   Go Up