Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Time for a new computer-now?  (Read 2288 times)

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Time for a new computer-now?
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2020, 03:45:42 am »

and... other reviews say that the larger SSDs have a cable and connector to the machine rather than being soldered in which may enable you to replace the SSD.

.... on another line.... I had no problem with Apple warranty because I put Crucial RAM in my iMac 27" a few years ago.

I you put in the wrong RAM the systems starts beeping and you simply replace it...
no harm done.
But it is always best to put the same type in it. Different timings may make it run less effective.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

rdonson

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2020, 08:25:38 am »

But it is always best to put the same type in it. Different timings may make it run less effective.

You're correct to be careful about replacing or upgrading RAM.

I went to Crucial to begin with and they had a feature that scanned my RAM to make sure I ordered the correct RAM.  The tech at Apple said that my 27" iMac actually used Crucial RAM and that I was fine.  Crucial is a brand name of Micron.    I also used Crucial on my previous iMac without any incidents.
Regards,
Ron

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2020, 10:54:16 am »

Macrumors (The 27-inch iMac's flash storage is soldered to the logic board and cannot be removed, but for 4TB and 8TB configurations, a flash storage expansion board is attached to a connector on the logic board. The 256GB, 51GBB, 1TB, and 2TB configurations do not have an expansion board and connector, and there are also no SATA connectors on the logic board to support a mechanical HDD.) states that the 4TB and up SSD's have a connector vs being soldered on but one still need to disassemble the machine, not a trivial exercise. For a skilled tech or repair person it is an advantage, for a layman, not so much. RAM, on the other hand is user replaceable even by a klutz like me. And, replacement or brand is irrelevant to the warranty. I put OWC RAM in my MacPro 2013 trashcan and have had a number of AppleCare discussions over the years, none of them asked about whose RAM I had. It appears that the new 2020 iMac can be turned into quite a machine...for a price.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up