Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?  (Read 1471 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: How Many Really Dont Know How to Cook?
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2020, 10:07:19 pm »

Speaking of men cooking during the virus reminds me of an engineer friend I called recently. When I asked him what he's doing nowadays, he told me that he's working on aqua-thermal treatment of ceramics, aluminum and steel under a constrained environment.

I was impressed until I learned he was really washing dishes with hot water under his wife's supervision.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2020, 10:18:25 pm »

Don't cook all that bad food.  Stay healthy and eat at McDonalds.

Nothing wrong with McDonalds. I always stop there on my drives south. They have good coffee and fast Internet.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2020, 10:19:34 pm »

Speaking of men cooking during the virus reminds me of an engineer friend I called recently. When I asked him what he's doing nowadays, he told me that he's working on aqua-thermal treatment of ceramics, aluminum and steel under a constrained environment.

I was impressed until I learned he was really washing dishes with hot water under his wife's supervision.
Good one, Alan  :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2020, 10:38:55 pm »

Then there was the couple who went shopping for food with their masks on.  When the guy got home he realized he brought back the wrong woman.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2020, 11:14:53 pm »

You're on a roll, Alan.   :)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2020, 11:39:16 pm »

Then there was the couple who went shopping for food with their masks on.  When the guy got home he realized he brought back the wrong woman.

Could have been an honest mistake.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2020, 11:54:50 pm »

Could have been an honest mistake.
Yeah.  I think he was running home to cook up something hot.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2020, 01:36:04 am »

This is actually not so far fetched. Just imagine a masked dinner fundraiser, and the top candidate brings home Rosie instead of Melania.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2020, 04:10:22 pm »

You can use it to supplement your dog's dry food.

If only I had a dog.  I'm working on my wife to get a Pomsky. 

But anyway, this is what culinary dreams are made of! 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

JoeKitchen

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2020, 04:12:28 pm »

This is actually not so far fetched. Just imagine a masked dinner fundraiser, and the top candidate brings home Rosie instead of Melania.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2020, 09:16:57 am »

I am currently listening to a podcast on health and one of the biggest factors for bad health (according to the interviewee) is the lack of knowing how to cook.  I almost went to culinary school and cook as a hobby.  I was downtown today buying 3 lb of pork belly with the ribs on, 6 lb slab of bacon, the whole beef short rib skirt, caul fat, veal and beef bones (for a demi), vegis, cheese, etc., so this idea of never cooking is beyond foreign to me. 

Is this seriously a thing, not ever cooking or having an interest in doing so?

I cannot believe you have reached your great age (well you're not a youngster) without realising that a very large percentage of the population rarely cook anything from basic ingredients.  It is that way here in England, and as far as I know in the history of Ready Meals and fast food the US is well ahead of us.
I can cook - admittedly basic but healthy food.  However I am very lucky to have a wife who is a very good and experienced cook.  She is also not keen on sharing her workspace with another cook - so I am lazy.

Jim

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2020, 09:31:08 am »

I cannot believe you have reached your great age (well you're not a youngster) without realising that a very large percentage of the population rarely cook anything from basic ingredients.  It is that way here in England, and as far as I know in the history of Ready Meals and fast food the US is well ahead of us.
I can cook - admittedly basic but healthy food.  However I am very lucky to have a wife who is a very good and experienced cook.  She is also not keen on sharing her workspace with another cook - so I am lazy.

Jim
Unfortunately, my wife and I miss going out.  We use to go to restaurants 2-3 evenings a week.  But we're retired and have the time and inclination.   Also, grabbing a bite out for lunch  by myself a few times a week, it's pretty regular.  Of course, with Covid, we haven't eaten out in 5-6 months.  We've only picked up restaurant to go meals maybe 3 times.  So we've saved a lot of money even with increased buying of food for home. I've done my diabetes well by not eating ice cream cones or pizza out for this time either.  My weight's stayed the same.  We miss NYC where the restaurants are lot better than here in central New Jersey.  Of course, the way things are going, there won't be any restaurants left anywheres pretty soon.  NYC looks like it's dying.  I was there the other day for a dental appt.  Restaurant extensions built out of plywood have been built on sidewalks and into the gutter in the street.  But there are few people there, at least around lunchtime.  No one's around.  Of course, who wants to eat outside when it's 93 degrees F  (34C) and the humidity is way up?

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2020, 09:53:50 am »

If only I had a dog.  I'm working on my wife to get a Pomsky. 

But anyway, this is what culinary dreams are made of!

Pomskys are very cool but a true Pom can be a wonderful companion.  We had Ellie for 12 years, a rescue, and we lost her to Congestive Heart Failure just a few weeks ago.  She was totally attached to me and me to her.  She was simply amazing and loved everyone she met.  If all Poms had her personality you would not find a better dog. ( don't tell that to our Papillon).  Sorry to hijack your thread. I miss her :(
Craig Lamson Photo

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2020, 10:01:45 am »

Craig,  Sorry about your dog.  A real cutie.  We had a mini poodle who was like that.  Part of the family. 

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2020, 10:09:07 am »

Craig,  Sorry about your dog.  A real cutie.  We had a mini poodle who was like that.  Part of the family.

Part of having a dog is knowing thier time with you is limited. Thanks. 
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up