Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended replacement for Epson R2400?  (Read 1385 times)

Dinarius

Recommended replacement for Epson R2400?
« on: July 14, 2020, 01:12:57 pm »

Windows 10 x64

I want to be able to print up to A3+ - any bigger and I'll get a lab to do it.

My Epson R2400 is great for printing on soft, light-weight papers.

But, on heavy papers such as Hahnemuehle Photo Rag, the paper feed is a nightmare, resulting in a lot of waste. (Coated Hahnemuehle Baryta are just about OK with a little coaxing.)

What should I consider replacing it with?

Running costs aren't a huge consideration, but I would be interested in ink price comparisons also.

Thanks in advance.

D.

tastar

• http://www.tastarsupply.com
Re: Recommended replacement for Epson R2400?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 08:17:20 pm »

https://epson.com/For-Work/Printers/Large-Format/SureColor-P700-13-Inch-Photo-Printer/p/C11CH38201

Cost: $799.00 (in stock at Epson), ink cost: 37.99/ 25 ml cartridge, 10 colors

R2400 - new $849.00, ink cost: 21.99/ 13 ml cartridge, 9 colors

It's a new model and we haven't seen one yet, although it has been discussed on this forum.

Tony

ColourPhil

• Colour Management by Phil Cruse
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 02:14:04 am »

With the P700 be aware that it comes with 'starter' ink carts which are smaller, and won't last all that long after the initial 'charge' of the printer. You'll need to budget for a new set of carts soon after purchase.
Phil

Dinarius

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 10:14:09 am »

Thanks for the replies.

I may well take the plunge...

Meanwhile...

I have persisted with the R2400 - I want to make very small prints in bathes of 8 using PS contact sheet feature.

I am using Photo Rag A3+ and cutting it afterwards.

I would like to use the front loading feature because the Photo Rag I'm using is very stiff. But, the prints made this way are terrible. There is a smudge onto the paper from the right hand side of all eight images on the sheet.

Feeding paper the normal way from above, I've worked out a way of nudging the print into the printer just as it grabs at it, and the prints are perfect.

But, I'd like to know why front loading the paper is producing useless images. Would make my life easier.

Thanks again.

D.

Ferp

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 08:47:18 pm »

Also be aware that the R2400 and P700 use different cartridge technologies.  The R2400 uses cartridges on the print head, whereas (I assume) the P700 like the P600 it replaces has cartridges that are located away from the print head.  Each approach has advantages and disadvantages, but you don't get a choice any more for a K3 pigment printer. 

If your R2400 is still operating after all these years then you've been very lucky.  Mine died years ago.  For that reason my memory is hazy, but I would have thought that you'd use the rear feed for thicker papers rather than the front feed.  The manual has a section titled "Loading Special Paper in the Single Sheet
Guide".  It wasn't clear from your comment "Feeding paper the normal way from above" whether you'd tried this paper path.  My understanding is that the front feed on these printers is intended for very thick, rigid media. 

Dinarius

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 03:51:11 am »

Thanks.

I've been following the instructions on page 11 of this manual - Loading Thick Media in the Front Path.

In my case, 315gms Photo Rag A3.

It loads perfectly. But, the prints are smudged.

Loading normally from the top, with more flexible paper, the prints are perfect.

The way the R2400 handles stiff paper is something I've always disliked. It may be one of the reasons my printer has lasted so long - I do so little printing!  :)

I presume that feeding/loading mechanisms have improved? Maybe other makes do it better?

D.

Ferp

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 08:52:02 pm »

Have you tried the approach "Loading Special Paper in the Single Sheet Guide" on P9 of that manual? I've used this rear feed with considerable success on similar printers to the R2400.  The feed can be a little tricky on some printers, but generally it's manageable.

I don't profess to be an expert on the front feed on these printers, but my understanding is that the front feed is for very thick, usually rigid media.  P11 of the manual says "You can load media 1.3 mm thick into the front path".  The paper you're trying to use is nowhere near that.  My hunch (and it's only a hunch) is that the platen gap is set very wide to accommodate that sort of thickness, e.g. printing on board, and that's what's leading to your smudged prints.

Have paper feeding mechanisms improved?  Not sure.  I think they're ok if you use the right feed for the right media.  There was an issue on the P800, in that the rear feed was removed and you had to do what you're trying to do, i.e. feed via the front.  People found this to be tricky but there was a workaround.  I think I recall reading that the rear feed was coming back for in the P900.  Don't know about the P600/700.

Dinarius

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 05:22:46 am »

That makes sense.

Now where did I put that single sheet loading tray....?  ???

Thanks.

D.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 02:01:21 pm »

Not wanting to be a wet blanket, but... Have there been ANY reviews of the P700 by any trusted reviewer? It looks great on paper, pun intended, but we don't know much about it. I'm still awaiting a trusted review of the p900 (still not even available) before I replace my beloved 3880. I'd also look at the new Canon P300, there's actually a review at Keith Cooper's site, http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-pro-300-printer-review/#conclusions. Both the P700 (Epson) and P300 (Canon) have depressingly small ink cartridges, Epson 25ml, Canon 14.4ml!

Mark Segal and Keith Cooper are my favorite printer reviewers. As best I can tell they are informed, honest, and thorough. Personally I'd not make that kind of investment without such input.
Pages: [1]   Go Up