Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony 12-24 looks like a winner  (Read 1663 times)

hogloff

Sony 12-24 looks like a winner
« on: July 07, 2020, 04:08:13 pm »

The newly released Sony 12-24 f2.8 GM is looking like a winner if you can afford the price tag. Initial indications look very good. The weight at 875gm is amazing for this size of lens.

https://www.albertdros.com/post/sony1224gm

shadowblade

Re: Sony 12-24 looks like a winner
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 09:50:16 pm »

I want to see how it looks corner-to-corner at f/8, in comparison to the f/4 version.

At these focal lengths, lenses tend to be used stopped down, not wide open, unless doing something like astrophotography.

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 06:13:31 pm »

I have been shooting with mine for a few weeks now on a 6-8 week Rockies trip. I am very impressed.
Dr D White DDS BSc

FabienP

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 05:45:06 pm »

I want to see how it looks corner-to-corner at f/8, in comparison to the f/4 version.

At these focal lengths, lenses tend to be used stopped down, not wide open, unless doing something like astrophotography.

One thing that will be different even closed down is flare resistance. The GM lens is miles ahead of the f/4 zoom in this respect, which will be useful on such an extreme wide-angle lens where the sun is likely to appear in the image.

First reports also seem to indicate that Sony haven't upped their QA checks with quite a few complaints about decentered lenses. With such complex lenses, this is unfortunately to be expected to some degree.

Cheers,
Fabien

shadowblade

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 09:30:52 am »

Bit the bullet and ordered one yesterday.

It's the most expensive non-supertele I've bought, by quite some margin. But it looks like it'll be the last UWA I'll need for some time - UWA is one area where primes have never had their traditional sharpness advantage over zooms, with top zooms as often as not being as sharp as top primes. And this one looks like a bag of zooms in one lens.

Hoping to test it out in a few weeks, once it arrives.

chez

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 06:56:49 pm »

Bit the bullet and ordered one yesterday.

It's the most expensive non-supertele I've bought, by quite some margin. But it looks like it'll be the last UWA I'll need for some time - UWA is one area where primes have never had their traditional sharpness advantage over zooms, with top zooms as often as not being as sharp as top primes. And this one looks like a bag of zooms in one lens.

Hoping to test it out in a few weeks, once it arrives.

One advantage of wide primes versus zooms is the use of filters. With the wide zooms filter usage becomes a real pain. Another thing with zooms they typically are a pain to manually focus.

shadowblade

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 03:30:33 am »

One advantage of wide primes versus zooms is the use of filters. With the wide zooms filter usage becomes a real pain. Another thing with zooms they typically are a pain to manually focus.

I'm using a Nisi 150mm filter system anyway, for versatility - that fits onto any lens. The 12-24 also takes rear ND filters, and you're unlikely to want to use CPLs with such a wide lens.

Manual focus? This is a 12-24mm lens - practically everything is going to be in focus anyway.

chez

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 09:20:51 am »

I'm using a Nisi 150mm filter system anyway, for versatility - that fits onto any lens. The 12-24 also takes rear ND filters, and you're unlikely to want to use CPLs with such a wide lens.

Manual focus? This is a 12-24mm lens - practically everything is going to be in focus anyway.

The Nisi system adds a lot of bulk if one is travelling light. The rear filters is a no go for me as taking off the lens, exposing the sensor to dust and sea spray where I shoot a lot is just too prone to getting junk onto the sensor as you change filters. As far as focus goes...you might be right at 12mm, but not so much at say 21mm where you still need to focus.

I use polarizers all the time on my wide angles. They are indispensable for removing glare from vegetation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up