Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should the US Get Rid of Facebook and other Social Media Outlets?  (Read 4833 times)

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: Should the US Get Rid of Facebook and other Social Media Outlets?
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2020, 09:37:45 pm »

That could be part of the problem.  ;)

No problem.  At least for me, and that’s what matters.
Craig Lamson Photo

TechTalk

« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2020, 09:42:10 pm »

I was referring to the following.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.

"Section 230 makes internet service providers, like Google and Facebook, immune from lawsuits based on claims related to content published by third-parties using their service. For example, if someone posts a fake Google Review about your business that is defamatory, you generally cannot sue Google for defamation. This is because they are immune under Section 230 of the CDA."

https://www.minclaw.com/legal-resource-center/what-is-section-230-of-the-communication-decency-act-cda/

Thanks. It certainly adds some clarity to your thought.

Section 230, however, doesn't prevent a lawsuit. What it does do, is provide a convenient singular defense claim of immunity when an ISP is defending a lawsuit, even if there are multiple complaints being filed in the suit. It may prevent a suit from getting past the initial hearing... or it may not. The suit brought by Loomer and Judicial Watch, for instance, made it thru two levels of federal court proceedings, although they lost in the end.

Another lawsuit that made it's way into court and was successfully defended by Section 230 is "Charles C. Johnson V. Twitter". Story linked here... https://thehill.com/policy/technology/court-strikes-down-far-right-activists-lawsuit-over-twitter-ban  Also, "Jared Taylor V. Twitter" made it's way thru court and again Section 230 was applied as a successful defense. It just didn't prevent the lawsuit from being heard.  https://digitalcommons.law.scu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2910

A variety of lawsuits have been taken to trial where Section 230 immunity was successfully used by the defense and it is a broad and powerful defense. There are exceptions to the rule, but they are quite limited and primarily involve some type of criminal conduct being involved.

Now... since May 28, 2020, when President Trump signed "Executive Order on Preventing Online Censorship" (EO 13925), directing regulatory action at Section 230; the water is muddier as the Executive Order itself is currently the subject of a lawsuit seeking preliminary and permanent injunction from the Executive Order from being enforced.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 10:19:28 pm by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2020, 11:15:00 pm »

I have not been paying that much attention and was intrigued to hear that a corporate ad boycott was happening at Facebook, https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/26/advertisers-struggle-for-power-over-facebook-as-boycotts-surge-341943. From reading that article it sounds like some companies were frustrated with their ads appearing in places they didn't approve of.
--
Robert

John Camp

« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2020, 12:07:12 am »

I have not been paying that much attention and was intrigued to hear that a corporate ad boycott was happening at Facebook, https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/26/advertisers-struggle-for-power-over-facebook-as-boycotts-surge-341943. From reading that article it sounds like some companies were frustrated with their ads appearing in places they didn't approve of.

Verizon just bailed, which could be a big hit, especially in today's political climate. Nothing like being on the same page as a neo-Nazi group. Facebook lives on these ads -- it's actually an advertising company, just like newspapers used to be -- and if the advertisers bail, Facebook will go away.

faberryman

« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2020, 08:32:27 am »

Verizon just bailed...
So did Unilever and Coke. Are Facebook ads really critical to an advertising strategy?

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #125 on: June 27, 2020, 09:47:27 am »

So did Unilever and Coke. Are Facebook ads really critical to an advertising strategy?

It might be. Here's my personal and trivial example. I shoot a lot of pics of local grassroots bicycle racing. I sell a few jpgs and even fewer prints every year off my Zenfolio site. These races get no coverage otherwise and I have built up quite a good archive of the local racing scene over the last dozen years. I make enough money to cover my gasoline and cappuccino expenses, so we're talking trivial amounts of money here. Btw, I also go to regional status races and make almost no sales from those, less than 5 in total. But I just like bicycle racing.

When I started, several clubs had web sites with bulletin boards that many members read, so I would post to those when I released a new gallery. Over time all of those disappeared as everyone migrated to Facebook, so I had to as well. There is no other way for me to let racers know that I have posted a gallery. Some of them may choose to check my web site independently, but I'm sure that number rounds to zero. My FB postings have the beauty that they are pushed onto interested parties.

This is good and bad. It's good because I only have to go to one place. It's bad because there is only one place.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #126 on: June 27, 2020, 02:05:23 pm »

Facebook and Twitter have competition. 

Trump fans are flocking to the social media app Parler — its CEO is begging liberals to join them
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/27/parler-ceo-wants-liberal-to-join-the-pro-trump-crowd-on-the-app.html

James Clark

« Reply #127 on: June 27, 2020, 07:07:11 pm »

Yes, especially for companies that are looking to reach an older demographic.  I'd posit that *maybe* for huge corps it's not as critical because they have the money to reach people through other channels, but for a small-to-medium company that wants to target and reach certain groups of people efficiently, it's absolutely a premiere platform.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #128 on: July 03, 2020, 10:11:33 am »

Yes, especially for companies that are looking to reach an older demographic.  I'd posit that *maybe* for huge corps it's not as critical because they have the money to reach people through other channels, but for a small-to-medium company that wants to target and reach certain groups of people efficiently, it's absolutely a premiere platform.
I'm surprised that older demographics are on Facebook.  I mean, I'm old and not on it.   I thought mostly younger people used Twitter, Facebook and other social media.  I guess I'll have to get with it.  :)

Peter McLennan

« Reply #129 on: July 03, 2020, 11:42:16 am »

I'm surprised that older demographics are on Facebook.  I mean, I'm old and not on it.

Gotta love that logic.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #130 on: July 03, 2020, 11:56:30 am »

Gotta love that logic.
Looked it up.
62% of online Seniors aged 65+ are on Facebook and 72% are between age 50-64.
88% of online users of age 18-29 are on Facebook, 84% of those 30-49.

I tried Facebook once.  My teenage daughter convinced me to join.  Then within a week I was getting email and stuff from her girlfriends and decided it wasn't for me.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up