Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson One Time Service Policy  (Read 978 times)

deanwork

Epson One Time Service Policy
« on: February 01, 2020, 09:33:41 am »

Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge about the Epson One Time service program that was discussed awhile back? I can’t find documentation on it.

I have an Epson 9890 that I will need to replace the printhead on. It has been lightly used for about 8 years but I have two nozzles that are going out. Other than this it is a like new great machine with a new belt.

How much does that service cost and will they cover the 9890.

I need this for Piezography k7 Carbon and I don’t want a new Epson because of all the scary chip programming issues.

This is interesting, if you are the registered owner of the printer, you can now purchase the print head, damper assembly, and pump cap assembly for the 9890. I wish I was competent on working on these things but I know my limits.

https://compassmicro.com/products/inkjet/stylus-pro-9890/print-head-for-epson-stylus-pro-9890.html

Also does anyone know if you can put a used 9900 printhead in a 9890? I only really need 6 channels for what I’m doing.

Thanks,

John
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 12:54:41 pm by deanwork »

Peter McLennan

Re: Epson One Time Service Policy
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 11:47:13 am »

I had the head on my 9800 replaced a few years ago and the cost was about $1500.  I had to take it to the service facility.

tastar

• http://www.tastarsupply.com
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 01:44:00 pm »

I believe that it only covers 9900's and P9000's (or 7900's and P7000's):

One Time Service Pllan

The price also went up to $1,395.00. There is a phone number at the link, you could call them to verify this.

Tony

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 02:47:24 pm »

Thank you. I’ll call them. I assume that includes the price of the head which is almost that much.

I believe that it only covers 9900's and P9000's (or 7900's and P7000's):

One Time Service Pllan

The price also went up to $1,395.00. There is a phone number at the link, you could call them to verify this.

Tony

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 09:43:28 pm »

Dean - did you ever get an answer from epson about the one time service in your 9890?

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 10:31:29 pm »

It only covered the 9900 and p9000. Apparently they had a lot more issues with premature head failure on the 10 ink models, maybe they still do, I don’t know. Anyway like he said the price went up and that was the same as I paid for my head replacement. I ended up replacing the ink selector unit with all the dampers also. I ran a ton of matte rag media through this one so that had to be done regardless.

John

quote author=Paul Ozzello link=topic=133794.msg1202308#msg1202308 date=1609123408]
Dean - did you ever get an answer from epson about the one time service in your 9890?
[/quote]

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 03:09:39 pm »

That's too bad - I was hoping to get mine fixed. Did you change all the parts yourself ?

It only covered the 9900 and p9000. Apparently they had a lot more issues with premature head failure on the 10 ink models, maybe they still do, I don’t know. Anyway like he said the price went up and that was the same as I paid for my head replacement. I ended up replacing the ink selector unit with all the dampers also. I ran a ton of matte rag media through this one so that had to be done regardless.

John

quote author=Paul Ozzello link=topic=133794.msg1202308#msg1202308 date=1609123408]

deanwork

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 03:22:51 pm »

No. With labor all that was over $2,500.00 , but I quit working on these things a long time ago . I’m using this printer for K7 carbon inks and it does a great job and I don’t have to worry about firmware updates and all of that with third party inks . And  I didn’t have to deal with decision one and Epson to restore it.

But if we’re using it for color Epson inks, I’d have traded in for the P9000 because of the newer inks and speed, and bought the extended warranty.

John

That's too bad - I was hoping to get mine fixed. Did you change all the parts yourself ?

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 03:40:51 pm »

Interesting, did you have someone local repair it ? Has the repair been reliable ? I'm running Pieozgraphy Pro on a smaller printer and wanted to convert my 9890. Mine went through 4 print heads in 3 years (covered under extended warranty), but I don't even know if the head was the actual problem - it was always the CYAN channel that was dying. What else should I replace besides the head ?

Paul

No. With labor all that was over $2,500.00 , but I quit working on these things a long time ago . I’m using this printer for K7 carbon inks and it does a great job and I don’t have to worry about firmware updates and all of that with third party inks . And  I didn’t have to deal with decision one and Epson to restore it.

But if we’re using it for color Epson inks, I’d have traded in for the P9000 because of the newer inks and speed, and bought the extended warranty.

John

BrianWJH

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 07:10:12 pm »

What else should I replace besides the head ?

Paul

The selector unit as it houses the dampers and possibly the pump cap assembly.

Brian.

deanwork

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 07:18:53 pm »

Ok, my experience, usually when we think a missing channel is the head, it’s not, it’s a clogged damper, especially with piezography using fibrous matte papers like me. With these units you need to replace all the dampers at once. This unit is called the “ink selector unit “ you can buy one at Compas micro for about $360.00 I believe is the amount. There is something you need to calibrate when doing this. I don’t work on my own machines, but with a maintenance manual it’s doable if you like to do this kind of thing. Yea it was a local certified tech that did mine.

If you are not seeing warped edges in your nozzle check, evidence of a delaminated head, the problem is almost always the dampers in the ink selector unit. I had both problems. Walker at inkjet mall was telling people to change this selector unit every year if doing a lot of production work. I don’t do nearly that much to consider that.

I have always kept my cap assembly damp by cleaning every week with distilled water and my tech said it looked like new. But if the cap has dried out and doesn’t fit the nozzles tightly tyat can cause air in the lines and poor cleaning and then you need a new pump/cap assembly. These pumps last for many thousands of prints but the capping station is certainly something to look at.

John

Interesting, did you have someone local repair it ? Has the repair been reliable ? I'm running Pieozgraphy Pro on a smaller printer and wanted to convert my 9890. Mine went through 4 print heads in 3 years (covered under extended warranty), but I don't even know if the head was the actual problem - it was always the CYAN channel that was dying. What else should I replace besides the head ?

Paul
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 07:22:58 pm by deanwork »

BrianWJH

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 07:39:48 pm »

If the machine is an Epson Stylus Pro 9890 then this is the link to that part.

The pump cap assembly part is here.

Brian.

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2020, 12:37:53 am »

Sorry for the late reply guys, I'm b__ls deep trying to unclog my P400, god these printers are a nightmare.

Thanks John and Brian, I'm going to take the plunge and take the machine apart. I might start with the ink selector unit and cap assembly and flush the head with piezoflush to see if I can salvage

the head... then replace it if I have to. Is compassmicro the only legit place to get parts ?

Were you talking about the servprog program to calibrate the new head ? Where can I get that ?

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up