Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting short film about how the "Confederacy" was kept alive  (Read 277 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos

Might in part explain why Confederate flags are still a thing, a short little historical note from Vox, https://youtu.be/dOkFXPblLpU.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Interesting short film about how the "Confederacy" was kept alive
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 01:04:26 pm »

Silly movie.  They refer to a textbook  from 1954 and people long dead as if America hasn't changed in 66 years and 2 or 3 generations.  In any case, there are always outsiders who try to stir up trouble.  I seem to recall your own country Canada nearly broke up a few years ago when the French Canadians wanted to have their own country.  To this day, all government legislation, signs and publications in Canada have to be written in two languages - French and English.  You really need to work on your own problems instead of pointing fingers at others.  Americans will take are of their own. 

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 01:35:28 pm »

Silly movie.  They refer to a textbook  from 1954 and people long dead as if America hasn't changed in 66 years and 2 or 3 generations.  In any case, there are always outsiders who try to stir up trouble.  I seem to recall your own country Canada nearly broke up a few years ago when the French Canadians wanted to have their own country.  To this day, all government legislation, signs and publications in Canada have to be written in two languages - French and English.  You really need to work on your own problems instead of pointing fingers at others.  Americans will take are of their own.

I'm not quite getting the tone of your response. This is background material on why the idea of "confederacy" still exists, what one of the factors was that helped that along. You have to stop taking everything so personally all the time. Those things happened, they are there to see, people should know them.

Why does this information bother you?

And you completely misunderstand Canadian bilingualism. It is not so because of that episode in 1977, Canada was founded as a bilingual country, still is, that's why signs and laws etc. are available in two languages. It is not a problem, it is a foundational fact.
--
Robert

faberryman

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 01:45:51 pm »

I seem to recall your own country Canada nearly broke up a few years ago when the French Canadians wanted to have their own country.  To this day, all government legislation, signs and publications in Canada have to be written in two languages - French and English.  You really need to work on your own problems instead of pointing fingers at others.

Yeah, I remember going to ice hockey camp in Toronto one summer and saw the instructions on my laundry detergent written in English and French. It was horrible. I was scarred for life. It is obviously a problem of critical national importance for Canada.  Meanwhile back in the US, when I go to Home Depot today the checkout machine asks me if I want to check out in English or Spanish.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 02:01:15 pm by faberryman »
Pages: [1]   Go Up