Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 85mm lenses  (Read 1257 times)

Jonathan Cross

85mm lenses
« on: June 20, 2020, 10:58:26 am »

I see Canon now has an 85mm f1.2 RF lens which is 4.06" x 4.62" and weighs 2.63lb.  B&H is listing it at $2,999.  The Fuji 56mm f1.2 is just about the same at 84mm equivalent.  It is 2.88" x 2.74" and weighs 14.3oz, and B&H lists it at $999.  Yes I know the Fuji is APSC, and will have a little less Bokeh wide open. 

Out of pure curiosity are the results from the Canon worth the extra size, weight and cost, or is it 'horses for courses'?

Best wishes,

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: 85mm lenses
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 12:11:53 pm »

I see Canon now has an 85mm f1.2 RF lens which is 4.06" x 4.62" and weighs 2.63lb.  B&H is listing it at $2,999.  The Fuji 56mm f1.2 is just about the same at 84mm equivalent.  It is 2.88" x 2.74" and weighs 14.3oz, and B&H lists it at $999.  Yes I know the Fuji is APSC, and will have a little less Bokeh wide open. 

Out of pure curiosity are the results from the Canon worth the extra size, weight and cost, or is it 'horses for courses'?

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Makes me realise the metric system makes it easier to compare the weight difference ;)
Apples & pears
in effect - you just have to see the photos and then decide...
A very personal choice.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Dinarius

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 02:04:10 pm »

Sigma 85mm?

May be the sharpest lens I’ve ever owned. Check out DXO tests.

Way cheaper too, though nothing like to same build quality as Canon. But, I’m very careful with gear.

That said; as Kers wrote, it’s a matter of choice. But, I have no regrets.

D.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 06:28:30 pm »

Also i have the Sigma 85mm; indeed very sharp lens- some out of focus color problems- gone by f2.8
very nice bokeh- very big and heavy....
make sure you have a good copy !.. mine is good on both sides at f 5.6  found out too late...
(My reference lens is the 40 mm sigma- perfect)

I had the opprtunity to try the much smalle and lighter 1.8 nikon 85 S lens; i like it open better than the Sigma- more 3d- less colour problems - from f4 the Sigma has a slight edge..
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Dinarius

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 08:15:05 am »

Also i have the Sigma 85mm; indeed very sharp lens- some out of focus color problems- gone by f2.8
very nice bokeh- very big and heavy....
make sure you have a good copy !.. mine is good on both sides at f 5.6  found out too late...
(My reference lens is the 40 mm sigma- perfect)

I had the opprtunity to try the much smalle and lighter 1.8 nikon 85 S lens; i like it open better than the Sigma- more 3d- less colour problems - from f4 the Sigma has a slight edge..

Yes, big and heavy. So, be sure you can live with the weight. Most of my work is tripod.

D.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 11:00:21 am »

I do not have that lens, but I do have the Canon EF 85mm 1.4 IS lens.  It is lovely, but heavy.  Sometimes I yearn for my old, lightweight, Canon 85mm 1.8.........

Jim

DP

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 10:11:14 pm »

Yes I know the Fuji is APSC, and will have a little less Bokeh wide open.

not only that - Fuji will illuminate a lot less sensels ( even the it is not strait increase in resolution, you still get less) and deliver light on a twice smaller sensor - so with FF you gain in resolution when you need that and in S/N when you need that or even both... plus that particular Fuji 56/1.2 has old slowpoke AF motor (and noisy) and 7 blade aperture and not weather-sealed... so it is actually overpriced in the absence of for example Sigma in XF mount.
Pages: [1]   Go Up