Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: secondary point and shoot  (Read 7775 times)

jlaird

secondary point and shoot
« on: November 23, 2006, 10:42:25 am »

Hey all,

I've been a longtime reader of LL. Haven't been around in awhile and have just discovered the new (to me) forums. These are great! Anyway, I've got a DSLR and am currently looking for a point and shoot I can throw in my pocket and not have to carry around a camera bag. So what is the best ultracompact (looking for something really thin and small) that is around 5-6 MP and in the $200-$300 range. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 11:05:40 am »

I was in exactly the same situation earlier this year, with the same requirements (except not a sensitive on price).  After research, I decided on the Fujifilm F30.  Very low noise compared with other cameras in its class.  The only drawbacks are the lack of histograms and raw mode, but then few have those.

If you search this forum for posts earlier this year, you'll see that a couple of people have already asked this question, and you can find some other opinions.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Hank

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 11:27:11 am »

There are lots of options and tradeoffs.  We've been doing the same search, and I think it's narrowed down to the Canon G7-  largely based upon Michael's review.

Curt

• www.pbase.com/cwphoto
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 12:14:35 pm »

I felt the same way & bought a refurbished Canon S70 for $240 from Amazon. It has viewfinder, 28-105 lens, RAW, & takes my CF cards.
Everything a serious guy could want right? I don't like it! Photo quality is OK, but it's not what I am used to seeing.

I'm sticking with my DSLR's & enduring the added size.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 01:50:16 pm »

Hey all,

I've been a longtime reader of LL. Haven't been around in awhile and have just discovered the new (to me) forums. These are great! Anyway, I've got a DSLR and am currently looking for a point and shoot I can throw in my pocket and not have to carry around a camera bag. So what is the best ultracompact (looking for something really thin and small) that is around 5-6 MP and in the $200-$300 range. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=86715\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Like Lisa I chose the F30 from Fujifilm and I'm very happy with it, with the quality of images, and the freedom it gives to shoot at night as well as indoors without flash. Sure there are some compromises. You've gotta have a list of your own, things you gotta have, things you can do without, and choose a p&s you can live with. So far nothing's perfect. Guess it'll never be perfect.

I would have liked a viewfinder but find the lcd fine and easier use than I thought it would be. It's my first compact. RAW, an lcd that twists, better front grip, the ability to adjust contrast, saturation, and to bracket, all would have been welcome additions. Nonetheless, I'm happy with my choice and perhaps in a few years there'll be something like it with everything I want (rolliing eyes 'cause I doubt it)...and I'll trade up.

good luck with your search...

M
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 01:52:25 pm by momo2 »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 02:20:56 pm »

Loved my Fuji F10.  It had a short life, tho.

Sami Kulju

• http://
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 08:16:28 am »

I previously had Fuji F10 and bought F30 when it was available.
Great p&s.

And I tell You a secret: already twice I have sold a snapshot from the locations we pre-check for shooting - and these two pictures paid both F10 and F30 several times.

Customer never asked me what camera I used and prepress had nothing to complain.

I was plainly lucky first time. I was checking location I knew we were going to. I was having a short walk in that area and I had a F10 in pocket. It was nice foggy evening with dark blue sky.
So i leaned against the wall, pushed ISO to 800 and made some pictures.

Customer loved the scene and used the picture as backcover for the print.
Shure the main shooting looked different with strobes and shot with Aptus but in the end it´s always the feeling that matters.

I have found a rule for Fuji F now. Under 400 ISO You can print up to A3. Over 400 ISO You can print A4. Sometimes A3.

I also made an exhibition and a book with Fuji610 and F10. Prints were from A5 to A3 and with some added noise and contrast they looked very filmlike.

And one more thing. Fuji doesn´t have IS but there is a difference when You shoot the same low light picture with:

a)200 ISO, long exposure and IS
b)You do it with 1600 ISO and short exposure.

Imagine Your self.

sami
Sami Kulju / Helsinki - Finland
www.stud

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 11:44:11 pm »

I'd probably buy a Fuji F31 if I were to buy a new one today.

If low noise were less of a concern, I'd consider the Canon route, with the Ixus 900IS being higher in my list than the G7.

Cheers,
Bernard

mikebinok

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 02:03:31 am »

I've thought about getting a Panasonic Lumix LX-2 for the purposes you mentioned (which for me would mean landscape shots mostly).  This is above your stated price range, and it wouldn't be a good choice if you need ISOs about 100.

The older LX-1 would be a reasonable choice at a lower cost.

xmishx

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 03:04:48 pm »

Over a year ago, I was in the same boat. I really love the Canon G5, mostly because it was black... But the fact that it uses the same battery as my 30D, can shoot a raw file and can also use my external flash were also big selling points. Noise is a big issue however, with this camera and the selling points mentioned above have not really been a positive or negitive experience. I imagine a smaller easier to carry camera would be good for me just as well. I do like the fact that the G5 still feels like a camera though.

Good luck
Ted Mishima
[url=http://www.mishimaphoto

nspur

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 01:46:20 pm »

I've had the Ricoh R series, R2 and now R4 (6 mp) though there is an R5 now (7 mp). Very small, light, fits in shirt pocket, lens 35mm equiv from 28mm (little distortion) to 200mm, image stabiliser that works, no EVF but large TFT screen. Downsides are no real manual control, no RAW, noise over IS0 200 -  but ISO 400 OK in bright light - lousy flash performance. It goes everywhere with me, got a good voice recorder, primitive movie performance, takes great pics of documents and I've had some excellent candid shots which have sold. I supose I really ought to get a Fuji F31 but I would miss the zoom range of the Ricoh.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 02:02:15 pm »

I bought the little Leica C-Lux 1, then learned that Panasonic makes the same thing for 2/3rds the cost.  

FWIW, my bottom line is it makes fantastic images for being the size of a cell phone, but the sad truth is I *NEVER* use it!  It just sits on the counter by my cell phone charger.  In the 6 months I've owned it, I've used it for maybe 100 frames and nothing I could not have just as easily grabbed the DSLR for.  I really should sell it, but it isn't going to be worth anything to anybody... A total waste of money for me.

Offered FWIW,
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 02:03:10 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

kitalight

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 02:27:07 pm »

Over a year ago, I was in the same boat. I really love the Canon G5, mostly because it was black... But the fact that it uses the same battery as my 30D, can shoot a raw file and can also use my external flash were also big selling points. Noise is a big issue however, with this camera and the selling points mentioned above have not really been a positive or negitive experience. I imagine a smaller easier to carry camera would be good for me just as well. I do like the fact that the G5 still feels like a camera though.

Good luck
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87579\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was in the same boat going in the opposite direction. I've had the A95 for a couple of years now, and pretty happy with it. A couple of months ago a nice lady at a local thriftshop brings out a d30/50F:1.8 and asks if I'd like to buy it...it didn't have a CF card but I did...in my A95...SSSSSSOOOOOOOoooooo....

I says to her...look, I can't tell if it works but I can at home...How much?
$90 and it's yours...and as you can guess...
it is...
as is the 24-85 I got for it as well...
and completing the deal for now, is the 10D I got last week on a nice low fleabay bid...
both of which can use the CF cards I had for the A-95...and vice versa...as I'm taking the 95 on a trip to Europe later this month.
A nice serendipitous experience...I'm very pleased with Canon...and this from a guy with a closet full of Nikon gear...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 02:29:04 pm by kitalight »
Pages: [1]   Go Up