Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Satin or Gloss Canvas Recommendation  (Read 410 times)

Roscolo

Satin or Gloss Canvas Recommendation
« on: May 25, 2020, 05:50:41 pm »

I run a few 44" printers. Mostly use an ifp8400 and Pro-4000. I print mostly on Sunset Select Matte Canvas and Sunset Reserve Gloss Canvas. I customer brings me a print he had done at Adoramapix several years ago. It's on canvas, and the canvas is labeled "gloss" on the back, but the finish is more Semi-Gloss or Satin. The customer would like me to get close to the finish on that canvas. I don't know what canvas Adoramapix used then. Be great if someone actually knows what that canvas was. Otherwise I'm looking for a Satin or Gloss canvas (aqueous ink) that is not as glossy as Sunset Reserve Gloss. Lexjet has a Satin canvas, but it's double the cost of Matte or Gloss.

Right now I'm guessing I'll try Epson Satin Canvas. Any other ideas?

Thanks

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Satin or Gloss Canvas Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 07:36:03 pm »

I use the same Lexjet canvases and control the sheen with my spray topcoat or Drytac vinyl laminate.
You cannot beat that $1.07 a sq. ft. Satin Timeless makes an excellent finish.
You need a hot press but the Drytac Artshied Satinex and Mattex laminates are even better.

mearussi

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 11:31:48 pm »

I don't like glossy/satin canvasses in general because the canvas texture virtually all is so coarse it produces a speckled surface that makes it's hard to see the picture. But after trying several dozen I came across Canson's Museum Procanvas Luster that is made from 100% cotton which enables it to have a very fine weave. Consequently there is no uneven mottled surface reflections that ruin the look of every other satin canvasses I've tried. And once coated it is almost as smooth as luster paper.

https://www.canson-infinity.com/en/products/museum-pro-canvas

Roscolo

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 05:26:48 pm »

I use the same Lexjet canvases and control the sheen with my spray topcoat or Drytac vinyl laminate.
You cannot beat that $1.07 a sq. ft. Satin Timeless makes an excellent finish.
You need a hot press but the Drytac Artshied Satinex and Mattex laminates are even better.

Thanks. Spraying / rolling topcoat is exactly one of the processes I want to reduce or eliminate from the workflow. We've gotten really busy over the past few years, and just don't have the time to spray like we used to.

I've got some samples coming from a few different manufacturers. If I find something really good I'll follow up.

Pages: [1]   Go Up