Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating Custom Media Type on Canon ipf6300  (Read 373 times)

John Hollenberg

Creating Custom Media Type on Canon ipf6300
« on: May 09, 2020, 07:18:39 pm »

I want to create a custom media type for Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta on my Canon ipf6300.  Loaded up the Media Configuration Tool and followed the steps described in this Canon Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krR1uF2ZYfs

Started with Premium Semigloss 2 280 as the base media type to create my custom media type.  Got through the alignment step without problems and to the step where I select the best ink limits.  It looked to me High or Canon Standard was the best choice (although I don't know which one has higher ink limits) because I didn't see any bleeding with a very dark color next to yellow), but I don't know which selection is best.  Any suggestions appreciated.

John

stockjock

Re: Creating Custom Media Type on Canon ipf6300
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 02:03:45 pm »

I asked a question about Ink Density a few months ago and the reply might be helpful to you:

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=133299.msg1144024#msg1144024

routlaw

• http://www.roboutlawphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 02:21:56 pm »

Assuming Hahnemuhle has built profiles for this printer or one similar why not just download and import that medial configuration file into the Media Configuration Tool and use it, then build your profiles from there. In addition Canson uses a medium-high ink density to build their profiles for their Baryta paper. Using this file I created my own profile for this paper which proved to be better than the profile built by Canson for my Pro 4100 printer. Would the Hahnemuhle version of Baryta be much if any different?

John Hollenberg

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 03:10:22 pm »

Assuming Hahnemuhle has built profiles for this printer or one similar why not just download and import that medial configuration file into the Media Configuration Tool and use it, then build your profiles from there.

Hahnemuhle doesn't have a media configuration file for their papers, at least not for the ipf6300.  Their profile uses special 5 as the media type.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 05:25:48 pm »

I've never seen any bleed on any semi gloss or gloss paper when doing the ink limit step. I used to get a second opinion in case it was my eyes. We're supposed to lay down the most ink we can to maximise colour, but I have my doubts that the difference between say, medium high and high is ever visible. So I usually shrug my shoulders and select medium high.

routlaw

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 05:34:42 pm »

Hahnemuhle doesn't have a media configuration file for their papers, at least not for the ipf6300.  Their profile uses special 5 as the media type.

Special 5 is the setting for High ink density. You might start there. FWIW I have built profiles using different settings for ink density (same paper) and they most certainly do illustrate a difference in the final outcome even if a difference in the targets do not show up.

stockjock

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 03:29:15 pm »

Special 5 is the setting for High ink density. You might start there. FWIW I have built profiles using different settings for ink density (same paper) and they most certainly do illustrate a difference in the final outcome even if a difference in the targets do not show up.

So is a higher ink density usually better or does it vary with the paper?

routlaw

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 04:16:49 pm »

So is a higher ink density usually better or does it vary with the paper?

From my understanding you're thinking on this is in the wrong direction. Some papers can take more ink without issues, while others can only take smaller amounts of ink. Thus the need for ink limits. For instance many of the photographic style papers, such as Baryta or Canson's Platine can perform very well with higher density, while a mat style paper might require medium density.

I was surprised lately to find out the Breathing Color Crystalline Canvas has a media configuration via Breather Color of only a low density. I built my profile using their MCT file which resulted in an excellent profile for my Pro 4100 printer. At the time I would have thought this canvas would have had more similarities to a Baryta, Gloss or Satin type of paper.

At the end of the day, what it boils down to is, how much ink can a particular coating on a particular type of paper take on and absorb. Understand too laying down too much ink will NOT make for better and deeper blacks and in fact just the opposite can occur if those darkest values are loaded with too much ink, but you also don't want to starve those values of enough ink. Thus the need for linearization, which the ink limit/density within the MCT tool accommodates albeit in a rather crude manner.

Hope this helps.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 07:12:26 pm »

At the end of the day, what it boils down to is, how much ink can a particular coating on a particular type of paper take on and absorb. Understand too laying down too much ink will NOT make for better and deeper blacks and in fact just the opposite can occur if those darkest values are loaded with too much ink, but you also don't want to starve those values of enough ink. Thus the need for linearization, which the ink limit/density within the MCT tool accommodates albeit in a rather crude manner.

It isn't just the blacks.  The more color ink you put down, the higher the chroma (intensity of the color).  However at some point--which differs for each paper and ink set--more ink leads to lower chroma and is thus counterproductive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up