Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Different results from Custom Media settings on P9570 PhotoShop, Lightroom etc  (Read 2663 times)

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print

But, the EMI method requires that a custom profile be incorporated with the settings.
Mick

How to incorporate a profile when you create a new media setting? I mean if the media setting doesn't exist how do you print the targets to build the icc profile?

I ask this because I suspect that EMI is like the Canon MCT (Media Configuration Tool) application where you can build custom media types and set all their settings (ink load, head height, vacuum strength, feed adj,etc) but the association of a specific icc profile is optional just because the profile cannot exist before the creation of this specific media setting.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 02:49:48 pm by Panagiotis »

Mick Sang

Yes, that's a good question. You begin by selecting a pre-existing media setting just like one would with any printer. Then, the profile is made. Then, using EMI or via the control panel, you copy that existing media setting, rename it, and change the settings to suit the paper for which the profile was made. At that point, the new profile is coupled with the new custom media setting. Even then, though, you can still override that via the app from which you're printing, if you choose to do so. The only real benefit to having the profile incorporated with the media setting is that your custom media and profile will show up when you select that media setting versus a generic OEM profile as before. Also, your new Custom Media will appear in the media lists of papers. At least, I seen no other benefit at this stage.

You're quite right that the Epson Media Installer is much like the Canon MCT. Indeed, it was likely inspired by that tool and Epson is still creating it on the fly. Today, we ran into a problem with the new version 1.0. It communicates with the printer, allows us to copy an existing media to make a new one, allows us to rename it and modify settings. BUT it will not allow us to save all those adjustments. It's simply dead in the water.

We called Epson tech support for help. The rep had never heard of Epson Media Installer and informed us that Epson does not support third party software. It took repetitive insistence to get across, finally, that the software was made and supplied by Epson. It came with the printer. In short, we got nowhere. So, the fun continues.

Mick

webline

Hi Mick,

yes - I used the same profile, media setting, resolution and select Application Manages Colour. I tested with a custom profile I created (using a baryta paper) and the same result with a factory profile by Epson (using an Epson paper).

I know how to adjust LR now and my results are close to what I got in the soft proof view. Still what I see when printing with the Epson print layout app is perfect - what I see in PS/LR needs some adjustments.

Detlef
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up