Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eizo CG297x vs Benq 270c  (Read 5170 times)

design_freak

Eizo CG297x vs Benq 270c
« on: May 08, 2020, 08:42:24 am »

Hi,
Anybody have any experience with this two displays ?
Is this Benq suitable for work? What speaks for Eizo?

Best regards,
DF

RichDesmond

Re: Eizo CG297x vs Benq 270c
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 08:39:37 pm »

Hi,

You may have more luck with this question over in the Computers and Peripherals section.

I'm interested in the answers also. :)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 08:01:18 am »

Talking/writing about monitors is a bit like writing about wine; useful and required, but ultimately insufficient.

We are highly biased here in that we sell Eizo monitors and do not sell benQ or other brands of monitors. But that’s because of our experience with Eizo; they do not require or even request any form of exclusivity from us.

I’ve been working in this industry for 12 years, and that spans a lot of Eizo sales. In all that time I cannot think of a single person to whom we sold an Eizo that was disappointed. They come out of the box well calibrated, the modern ones calibrate automatically and autonomously overnight (they will even turn themselves on and off to do so), and they stay in calibration for many many years. They have a five year warranty that covers the calibration itself (with most monitors if the calibration starts to stray they won’t consider that a warranty issue; they only consider things like “won’t turn on” to be warranty related).

It’s my impression that most monitor companies are simply in the game of chasing specific specs they think people shop based on, like percent coverage of a specific color space. That may or may not correspond to a great monitor, because a lot of important facets of a “great monitor” are not easily defined in consumer-oriented specs: things like the propensity to create false posterization or banding, the neutrality or color consistency of single-color gradients (think skies or product sweeps) and the perceived clarity of high saturation detail in deep shadows (think deep browns on a tree bark in the shadow). The engineers at Eizo are in the business of making the best possible monitor, and must be because they sell a ton of monitors to Doctors and medical diagnosticians for viewing important imagery like XRays and other scans. As a result of making the best possible monitor they also happen to hit all those consumer-oriented specs.

So anyway, my advice on monitors is always the same: you can do a ton of research and comparisons and try to figure out if some other brand will be 90% as good at some less-than-90% price, and if that is a good ROI for you, given that the Eizo will almost surely outlast the other in your use. Or, if you have the budget, you buy the Eizo, and don’t have to think about monitors again for a very long time.

By the way, and acknowledgeding this biases us, we (DT) are still able to sell and ship Eizos during the lockdown, and when things reopen we have demo models at our offices in NYC and LA, attached to Mac Pros in case you want to bring some of your images in and compare to a monitor you bring in or against your laptop.

design_freak

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 07:09:06 am »

As always, sooner or later. ;D We will be flooded with a dose of self-worship performed by our favorite super seller.  ;)
Thank you, Doug. Unfortunately you didn't answer my question. I know the brand well, I use it longer than you are in the industry. And I also know that I used Barco monitors (maybe you never even used one) that were also market leaders, but history has shown that Eizo was able to make better monitors. Technology is moving forward, hence my question to someone who has used or tested these monitors. My monitor is dying. It is not possible to make a comparison anywhere. Can only be bought online. It's like buying a pig in a poke.
Best regards,
DF

Tibor O

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 04:52:31 pm »

I hope the OP won't mind I would like to add my own question in regard to the Eizo CG297x.

I already have an Eizo CG277. Now I want to add a second 27" monitor to be used in portrait orientation alongside my existing 27" monitor in landscape orientation.

I have the option to get another Eizo CG277 for around 1.700 euros or an Eizo CG297x for around 1.900 euros.

Is there any real gain / benefit with getting the CG297x or am I better off sticking to two identical CG277 monitors?

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 06:57:16 pm »

Hi,

I have an Eizo CG319X, a Benq SW271, and several NEC 30/32-inch monitors. I use the Eizo as my primary monitor, and the Benq as the moniotr at my stand-up desk. Considering the wide disparity in price, they are remarkably similar. Aspect ratio is different. The Eizo has automatic calibration, and the Benq does not. There are more presets on the Eizo. The Benq hood is sturdier and fits more solidly on the monitor. Both come with individual calibration sheets, and what is measured on those sheets is similar. The numbers are also similar. Color change with angle isn't that different.

All that makes the Benq a real bargain, in my book. Sorry I don't have experience with the two model numbers you are talking about.

Jim

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 11:34:02 am »

I am not a fan of dealers or manufacturers giving this kind of response in these forums, that is, basically a sales response. By all means, provide information about the products or services. However, I think this response is intended to try influence people. While Eizo might very well be "the best" overall at this point in time, not everyone needs, or can afford, the best. Maybe there are considerations specific to a particular user that do not apply to the criteria given below. That said, the OP is asking to compare a monitor with one that is more than 3x the cost. This just doesn't seem like a fair comparison. I believe there is an Eizo monitor that is closer to the Benq price range.

Talking/writing about monitors is a bit like writing about wine; useful and required, but ultimately insufficient.

We are highly biased here in that we sell Eizo monitors and do not sell benQ or other brands of monitors. But that’s because of our experience with Eizo; they do not require or even request any form of exclusivity from us.

I’ve been working in this industry for 12 years, and that spans a lot of Eizo sales. In all that time I cannot think of a single person to whom we sold an Eizo that was disappointed. They come out of the box well calibrated, the modern ones calibrate automatically and autonomously overnight (they will even turn themselves on and off to do so), and they stay in calibration for many many years. They have a five year warranty that covers the calibration itself (with most monitors if the calibration starts to stray they won’t consider that a warranty issue; they only consider things like “won’t turn on” to be warranty related).

It’s my impression that most monitor companies are simply in the game of chasing specific specs they think people shop based on, like percent coverage of a specific color space. That may or may not correspond to a great monitor, because a lot of important facets of a “great monitor” are not easily defined in consumer-oriented specs: things like the propensity to create false posterization or banding, the neutrality or color consistency of single-color gradients (think skies or product sweeps) and the perceived clarity of high saturation detail in deep shadows (think deep browns on a tree bark in the shadow). The engineers at Eizo are in the business of making the best possible monitor, and must be because they sell a ton of monitors to Doctors and medical diagnosticians for viewing important imagery like XRays and other scans. As a result of making the best possible monitor they also happen to hit all those consumer-oriented specs.

So anyway, my advice on monitors is always the same: you can do a ton of research and comparisons and try to figure out if some other brand will be 90% as good at some less-than-90% price, and if that is a good ROI for you, given that the Eizo will almost surely outlast the other in your use. Or, if you have the budget, you buy the Eizo, and don’t have to think about monitors again for a very long time.

By the way, and acknowledgeding this biases us, we (DT) are still able to sell and ship Eizos during the lockdown, and when things reopen we have demo models at our offices in NYC and LA, attached to Mac Pros in case you want to bring some of your images in and compare to a monitor you bring in or against your laptop.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 07:04:34 pm by David Eichler »

bjanes

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 01:59:00 pm »

I am not a fan of dealers or manufacturers giving this kind of response in these forums, that is, basically a sales response. By all means, provide information about the products or services. However, I think this response is intended to try influence people. Eizo might very well be "the best" overall at this point in time, not everyone needs, or can afford, the best. Maybe there are considerations specific to a particular user that do not apply to the criteria given below. That said, the OP is asking to compare a monitor with one that is more than 3x the cost. This just doesn't seem like a fair comparison. I believe there is an Eizo monitor that is closer to the Benq price range.

+1

I am a bit weary of Doug's snobbish and self serving posts. He obviously does not know anything about BenQ. For a more reasoned opinion, readers should look at Jim Kasson's post. Doug brags about Eizo's sales to the medical community for looking at CT and MRI scans, but these are monochrome and relatively low resolution. NEC monitors are more reasonably priced and are widely used in medical imaging.

Bill

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 07:47:24 am »

Doug's post was spot on. Eizo all the way.

I run a digital photo lab at a college here in Germany. We habe various Eizo monitors at use, all of them CG series.
Some needed replacement. I thought, why not buy cheaper and save some money.

I tested the Benq 270c. Uniformity was an issue, some color shift across the screen as well. Calibrating the Benq was okay, but had to be done manually. So I send the first monitor back and received another one for testing, uniformity was worse, very ugly color shift. This one just didn't calibrate well, no matter what I did.

After spending some hours with it, I ordered some CG274x and CG297x and I'm a happy camper now. They work right out of the box, self calibration is working great.

And don't underestimate the 5 years of warranty. It works. I had some issues with one of our older Eizo's after a strange power outage and Eizo picked the monitor up and delivered a new one inside of 48hours. The monitor was 4 years old.

Benny Profane

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 01:05:52 pm »

Eizo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up