Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Third Party Inks in Surecolor  (Read 712 times)

deanwork

Third Party Inks in Surecolor
« on: May 07, 2020, 07:42:11 am »

Is anyone using 3rd party pigments, such as Piezography, in the Epson P 9000 or P8000 printers?

They sell chipped carts for refillable inks which are supported by QTR,  but I’m very concerned about going there due to the strange things in Epson software that can lock you out of the printer if firmware is not installed and monitored correctly.

Just wondering if people have been doing this successfully for the last couple of years. I never hear about it. I’m more inclined to completely restore my 9890 if it comes to that. It appears that the heads are the same anyway.

John

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Third Party Inks in Surecolor
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 09:27:00 am »

Dye inks in my P8000 2 full years with no issues. I am using InkOwl refillable with the one use chip. 2+ years and just ordered my first full set of replacement chips.
All colors are at least half full with the lgt. and llk. black at about 25%
Which means I have about 2500ml of the 6300ml I started with. For the issues you are talking about it doesn't matter what type of 3rd. party ink.
I have stayed away from any firmware updates and have zero issues. What I cannot answer. has Epson done anything to the firmware on the newer P8000's regarding the refillable cart chip.
The P8000 is just a shade over $3000 and is about the best deal you can get on a 44" printer.
I had a 9890 beside my 9900 for several years and the comparison of images from the two was so close to identical you could switch the prints and not tell what printer they came from.

deanwork

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 10:24:47 am »

Thanks Dan,

If my 9890 is going down and needs a new head and dampers and possibly a new pump that would run me the cost of the P8000. What I really worry about is the more recent ones having the newer locked out firmware installed. I mean it’s been a long time since they updated that firmware to shut down the printer permanently if try to over ride it. I would think they would do that....I just haven’t heard if anyone has run into that recently.

John

Dye inks in my P8000 2 full years with no issues. I am using InkOwl refillable with the one use chip. 2+ years and just ordered my first full set of replacement chips.
All colors are at least half full with the lgt. and llk. black at about 25%
Which means I have about 2500ml of the 6300ml I started with. For the issues you are talking about it doesn't matter what type of 3rd. party ink.
I have stayed away from any firmware updates and have zero issues. What I cannot answer. has Epson done anything to the firmware on the newer P8000's regarding the refillable cart chip.
The P8000 is just a shade over $3000 and is about the best deal you can get on a 44" printer.
I had a 9890 beside my 9900 for several years and the comparison of images from the two was so close to identical you could switch the prints and not tell what printer they came from.

dgberg

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 10:55:27 am »

I would check with the companies that are selling those one chip carts. InkOwl and I think Jon Cone.
Ask them for feedback the last 6 months with the new models, they would know.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 04:36:27 pm »

I can't comment on use for inks but I just had to buy a single cartridge from Inkjet Mall to use to flush the stubborn LK head on my P8000 discussed elsewhere.  The chips they sell for the SureColor large format printers are one time use, not resetable, so add another $25/cartridge when you need to refill them.

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 05:03:33 pm »

Yea I know. Did the piezoflush clear it? It didn’t do anything for my two printers this time and I left it in there a long time and ran a ton of it through those problem channels. Anyway...

I’m using piezo Carbon k7 in the 9890. Those chips always worked perfectly. But this new shit worries the hell out of me. They are doing everything they can to make this work on the P series but Epson is doing everything they can to keep non Epson inks out. It’s the color third party inks that they are mad about. One thing I have never heard is people being able to go back to a previous firmware. So it seems buying a new P series for that is a real gamble. The desktop units are no problem.

I can't comment on use for inks but I just had to buy a single cartridge from Inkjet Mall to use to flush the stubborn LK head on my P8000 discussed elsewhere.  The chips they sell for the SureColor large format printers are one time use, not resetable, so add another $25/cartridge when you need to refill them.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 05:54:39 am »

I'm waiting for it to come in.  If not I'll go for the one time repair cost.

dgberg

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 09:32:26 am »

Mike
Have you talked to Epson about the one time repair?
Sounds like it is pretty restrictive but I may be doing the same thing with my 9900.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 01:21:58 pm »

Not yet Dan and I hope I don't need to, will be trying the flush in a few days when it arrives and then we'll see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up