Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: editing for instagram and devices on eizo  (Read 969 times)

niclas_lindergard

editing for instagram and devices on eizo
« on: April 29, 2020, 03:49:08 am »

Hi! I currently have my Eizo CG279X setup at 100cd/m2 and 5400K, I usually just edit for prints.
The problem is that normal users don't run their screens that dark, I've just noticed that my images look bright on instagram/Iphones/imacs. I guess going D65 for editing for screens is good, but what would you guys say would be a good general brightness number? 300 cd/m2? 500?

best

Niclas

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
Re: editing for instagram and devices on eizo
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 12:00:40 pm »

Hi! I currently have my Eizo CG279X setup at 100cd/m2 and 5400K, I usually just edit for prints.
The problem is that normal users don't run their screens that dark, I've just noticed that my images look bright on instagram/Iphones/imacs. I guess going D65 for editing for screens is good, but what would you guys say would be a good general brightness number? 300 cd/m2? 500?

best

Niclas
I’m using 100 nits brightness and have good results on social media. But I work in a darkened room and convert all images to Srgb before posting.

If your viewing environment is bright, you may be compensating by making your images brighter.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

niclas_lindergard

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 03:34:41 pm »

Yeah you are right, I have a huge window in the studio that I haven´t got around to block more than with ordinary blinds.
I have a balanced high cri led panel that is dimmed so when I measure it it´s something like 60 lux in the room.
That in winter time in sweden when it´s dark out. Now it´s bright out most of the day and some days the sun shines right at the window.
I´f i put my mpb or iphone on it´s brightest setting it feels way brighter than 100cd/m2, and i guess thats how most people run their screens. I was thinking that some one had calculated some magic median setting that would reflect most peoples screens, but thinking more about it i guess it doesn't work that way, If i edit an image in a controlled environment so it looks good, it should look more or less allwright in under different conditions/screens right? so instead of brightening the screen i should get some big black out curtains. I  get that it´s all in the relationship between screen and ambient. But it´s still confusing thinking about that we run our screens pretty dark and the people viewing the images probably (mostly) run theirs way brighter, and our way of dealing with that is to make our rooms dark. Then it´s the calibrators with ambient measuring that it´s supposed to compensate, but to me that feels a bit like i don´t trust them (without ever trying to use that function).

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 03:43:08 pm »

You can't target for this audience; some are not using color managed browsers. Some are targeting vastly differing cd/m2 even if they calibrate their displays. It's entirely a crap shoot, aiming for the side of a huge barn. 
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

niclas_lindergard

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 03:24:13 pm »

No yeah i get that, i was thinking that there must be some settings that would be roughly favorable for screen and online viewing, I was not after total control.
When editing for print the paper doesn't glow from the back like a screen does, so it does not sound strange to me that images would look a bit too bright on other screens than the ones callibrated for printing.
I know at least apple laptops has some kind of auto screen brightness that i have to turn off, so at least they must have decided on some default brightness/ambient ratio.
Video people must have some kind of general screen brightness standard? or how do they think?
But the more i think about it i haven't had any problems with this ever before, it was this batch of photos that when i opened them up on a laptop at home looked way to bright, which now tells me tells me my studio just needs to be darker at a sunny day and I will be fine.

Lessbones

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 01:42:52 am »

Shooting for REC709 at 100 nits works pretty well for iOS devices IME.  With all the night shift and true tone stuff disabled, you'll get something decently resembling your original product.  Of course you'll have to accept a pretty wide tolerance, but usually things tend to look fairly close when played back in native applications on iOS (safari, imessage).  When color grading video for social media I always do a final check on an iphone-- it's akin to the car stereo playback you would listen to if you were working on an album-- you can push things a little after seeing how things dumb down, but take that with a big grain of salt.  For android, you're really lost in the forest.  But generally I've found that iOS devices have more consistent performance screen to screen than any other screens you've ever used-- and that includes mac laptops/monitors.  iOS has native color management, and the screens are calibrated roughly to the same point to begin with.  While there are still going to be big differences across devices (especially with different screen technologies, or device ages) there's at least SOME standardization there--
Pages: [1]   Go Up