Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Swap heads and ink from Canon 8300 to 8400?  (Read 754 times)

mcpix

• Macframes
Swap heads and ink from Canon 8300 to 8400?
« on: April 28, 2020, 01:37:14 pm »

As I mentioned in another post, after 10 years my Canon 8300 is showing a head monitor error that I can't seem to fix. I've figured out a work around for now, but eventually I'll have to resolve this problem as there is no way for the printer to monitor the condition of the printing heads. I have an opportunity to pick up a used 8400 that needs 1 new head and most of the inks need to be replaced. The seller is having a hard time selling it as the head and new inks represent an investment of over $2,000. I'm pretty sure I can swap the inks as removing the inks is a standard procedure for moving the printer. Has anyone ever swapped a working head from one printer to another? I know I need to swap the right head to the right head to avoid mixing inks, I'm just wondering if there are any problems that may crop up? Thanks!

deanwork

Re: Swap heads and ink from Canon 8300 to 8400?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 03:17:10 pm »

Easy to swap the inks.

The heads are initialized for that particular printer and that particular side once they have been installed.

As I mentioned in another post, after 10 years my Canon 8300 is showing a head monitor error that I can't seem to fix. I've figured out a work around for now, but eventually I'll have to resolve this problem as there is no way for the printer to monitor the condition of the printing heads. I have an opportunity to pick up a used 8400 that needs 1 new head and most of the inks need to be replaced. The seller is having a hard time selling it as the head and new inks represent an investment of over $2,000. I'm pretty sure I can swap the inks as removing the inks is a standard procedure for moving the printer. Has anyone ever swapped a working head from one printer to another? I know I need to swap the right head to the right head to avoid mixing inks, I'm just wondering if there are any problems that may crop up? Thanks!

mcpix

• Macframes
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 03:58:22 pm »

Easy to swap the inks.

The heads are initialized for that particular printer and that particular side once they have been installed.

Does that mean "no swapping heads"? There is a guy on eBay that says he can clean Canon heads to work again, so that made me wonder if could swap my 8300 heads with his 8400 machine (it's the same part no.). I'm pretty sure the printer keeps track of how much each head has been used, but I don't know if that information is stored in the print head or only on the printer. If that counter was reset by swapping to a new machine, I wouldn't really care because the printer is going to periodically check the status of the heads anyway. I just don't want to end up with a dead head.

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 05:03:15 pm »

Well I thought not. But here is an older post that says you can use one if it’s on the same side of the same model. Maybe not to an 8400. Thing is you use quite a bit of ink doing the replacement so I’d try to find out as much as I can about the seller if one was bought on EBay. These printers need to be plugged in all the time. If someone let a printer sit unplugged there is real danger the head is clogged.

Personally I’d google this as much as I can to see if there are other experiences out there, and search past posts on this forum like I just did.

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=107861.0#msg888335

Does that mean "no swapping heads"? There is a guy on eBay that says he can clean Canon heads to work again, so that made me wonder if could swap my 8300 heads with his 8400 machine (it's the same part no.). I'm pretty sure the printer keeps track of how much each head has been used, but I don't know if that information is stored in the print head or only on the printer. If that counter was reset by swapping to a new machine, I wouldn't really care because the printer is going to periodically check the status of the heads anyway. I just don't want to end up with a dead head.

mcpix

• Macframes
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 06:50:24 pm »

Thank you so much for the link. I guess that answers my question. The inks are the most expensive part, so it's good that I can use my old inks. If the printer has no other problems, buying a new print head wouldn't be too bad.

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 07:27:52 pm »

Yes the inks are exactly the same package, and the 24 inch printers of that era too.

Thank you so much for the link. I guess that answers my question. The inks are the most expensive part, so it's good that I can use my old inks. If the printer has no other problems, buying a new print head wouldn't be too bad.

mearussi

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 07:31:46 pm »

I tried the head cleaning service with my ipf6400 (same head as yours) and it lasted a few months before the replace head error message popped up again. So it's basically a waste of money (unless you're trying to temporarily fix up your printer to sell to some sucker). Just pay the money and get a new head. I got mine on Amazon for $300 over a year ago and it's still working fine.

BTW, my understanding on ink swapping is that you can use 8300 ink in an 8400 (backwards compatibility) but not the 8400 ink in a 8300 (slightly different cartridge design).

deanwork

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 09:15:26 am »

I would call Canon.

I tried the head cleaning service with my ipf6400 (same head as yours) and it lasted a few months before the replace head error message popped up again. So it's basically a waste of money (unless you're trying to temporarily fix up your printer to sell to some sucker). Just pay the money and get a new head. I got mine on Amazon for $300 over a year ago and it's still working fine.

BTW, my understanding on ink swapping is that you can use 8300 ink in an 8400 (backwards compatibility) but not the 8400 ink in a 8300 (slightly different cartridge design).

routlaw

• http://www.roboutlawphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 11:50:58 am »

Just went through the same thing with my 8300 too. I made the decision to replace it with the newer 4100 for a variety of reasons. Delivery is scheduled for today.

For sure you can can take the ink carts out and go from one machine to the next, or take one out use another for awhile then replace with the other you removed. I have done this myself a few times due to low inks while changing heads and other things. FWIW its my believe one can change heads as well, so long as they are kept with the correct orientation from left to right side. On more than one occasion I have removed a head that was giving me trouble cleaned it manually with distilled water, then reinstalled, which allowed the printer to work for another period of time. There is some ink wasted in the process but the way I have implemented it is to fool the printer by doing a fake cutter replacement. This moves the head and cutter into place which allows you to take the head out for manual cleaning. Granted this isn't for the feint of heart but it has worked for me several times. The printer somehow senses the head was removed then reinstalled and goes through some ink purge to fill the lines and head again.

Its highly unlikely you will get Canon tech support people to recommend doing any of this and for sure its at your own risk should you try but it is worth considering.

Hope this helps.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 04:03:36 pm »

Just providing knowledge on this, but you can use the 8300 ink in the 8400, but it "won't" work vice versa as mearussi mentioned.
However, as soon as you replace a print head (not purchase date), it starts a 1-year manufacturer warranty with Canon and they will cover any issues the head has (a replacement at no charge).  The downfall is the head is only replaceable within the year FROM an authorized reseller and not Amazon or eBay unfortunately.  This was confirmed this with a Canon rep. 

If your head makes it past the year with no issues, great!  Just wanting to help with good info for those with a Canon so you may save money upfront.
You are going from 2 heads on the 8300/8400 to a single (yet slightly larger head) on the Pro series, so less expensive for replacing.  (around $450/ea on x300/x400 vs $675 on Pro series).

Hope everyone stays safe during this horrific time!

mcpix

• Macframes
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 01:19:03 am »

Many, many thanks for all the great input on this thread. I've come to the conclusion that if I buy the used 8400 I would also buy a new head and just swap the inks I have in my 8300. My only concern would be if the printer had any other problems that I don't know about yet. I once bought an Epson 7880 that was missing one ink, so I couldn't completely test it. The owner assured me everything else was fine. When I replaced the ink it had several clogged heads, one of which I could never get to come back. I swore I'd never buy a used printer again without running a nozzle test first.

I could also buy a new 4100. My 8300 has lasted almost 10 years without any problems, so I can't say I didn't get my money's worth! A new printer would be great, but I'm just feeling really cautious about spending any big chunks of money right now. The current Canon promotion of $500 off expires tomorrow. I think I'll wait and see if they extend it.

routlaw

• http://www.roboutlawphotography.com
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 12:05:05 pm »

Those were my thoughts as well. This couldn't have come at a worse time, but intuitively I suspected though I can not absolutely prove there were some other underlying issues with my old 8300. It is worth mentioning other than replaced heads and quite a few of them at that there have been many other repairs on my 8300. Regarding the Epson printers it appears many of the newer ones have not had the issues with head clogging while others report numerous clogs. The thought of going through that again was untenable for me even if the % chance was low for clogging heads.

In the meantime there seems to be some interest in the new 4100 which I just received yesterday. So in a new thread dedicated to this printer do a brief review. My not have this today but hang in there for those who are interested.

Many, many thanks for all the great input on this thread. I've come to the conclusion that if I buy the used 8400 I would also buy a new head and just swap the inks I have in my 8300. My only concern would be if the printer had any other problems that I don't know about yet. I once bought an Epson 7880 that was missing one ink, so I couldn't completely test it. The owner assured me everything else was fine. When I replaced the ink it had several clogged heads, one of which I could never get to come back. I swore I'd never buy a used printer again without running a nozzle test first.

I could also buy a new 4100. My 8300 has lasted almost 10 years without any problems, so I can't say I didn't get my money's worth! A new printer would be great, but I'm just feeling really cautious about spending any big chunks of money right now. The current Canon promotion of $500 off expires tomorrow. I think I'll wait and see if they extend it.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 11:47:04 pm »

The update is that there will be no promotions on the Canon large format models for May unfortunately.  Even the selling price resellers get will go up a little more than expected.  You may want to wait until June to see what they decide to do.

If you sign up for IT Supplies newsletters, you can get the updates on all rebates and pricing available per the start of each month (when the manufacturer provides the info).  We even do multiple newsletters throughout the month with anything new and follow ups on promotions.

IT Supplies
Pages: [1]   Go Up