Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony E mount WA Conundrum  (Read 738 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

Sony E mount WA Conundrum
« on: April 20, 2020, 05:23:08 pm »

Let me start off by saying I am an amateur. I always have strived for the best possible quality in equipment, as my ultimate goal is a big print, that I make myself. I use a Sony A7RII, I have several fixed focal length lenses, including 35mm f2.8 Sony Zeiss, 55mm f1.8 Sony Zeiss, 85mm Sony, and 70mm Sigma Art Macro. These usually remain in my bag in the car, as my principal interest is seascapes. I usually walk the beach with a Voigtlander 12mm, Sony 16-35mm and Sony 24-105mm lenses. Recently I read some very favorable reviews of the Sony 12-24mm f 4 lens. It got me to thinking I could sell the Voigtlander and Sony 16-35mm and finance a 12-24mm, cutting down on weight and number of lenses in my pocket. I am 83 years of age so weight and bulk are an issue. If I would be giving up image quality for convenience, I will not bother. Any practical experience among my learned colleagues regarding the 12mm-24mm? I might add that I always keep a UV filter on my lenses to protect from salt air and blowing fine sand. The 12-24mm will not accept a screw in filter, so I would keep the lens cap on until I was ready to shoot, then replace it after the shot.
Thanks in advance
Dave in NJ
www.modernpictorials.com

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Sony E mount WA Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 05:34:52 pm »

Let me start off by saying I am an amateur. I always have strived for the best possible quality in equipment, as my ultimate goal is a big print, that I make myself. I use a Sony A7RII, I have several fixed focal length lenses, including 35mm f2.8 Sony Zeiss, 55mm f1.8 Sony Zeiss, 85mm Sony, and 70mm Sigma Art Macro. These usually remain in my bag in the car, as my principal interest is seascapes. I usually walk the beach with a Voigtlander 12mm, Sony 16-35mm and Sony 24-105mm lenses. Recently I read some very favorable reviews of the Sony 12-24mm f 4 lens. It got me to thinking I could sell the Voigtlander and Sony 16-35mm and finance a 12-24mm, cutting down on weight and number of lenses in my pocket. I am 83 years of age so weight and bulk are an issue. If I would be giving up image quality for convenience, I will not bother. Any practical experience among my learned colleagues regarding the 12mm-24mm? I might add that I always keep a UV filter on my lenses to protect from salt air and blowing fine sand. The 12-24mm will not accept a screw in filter, so I would keep the lens cap on until I was ready to shoot, then replace it after the shot.

The 12-24 is a fine lens:

https://blog.kasson.com/?s=sony+12-24

But for your purposes, the 20/1.8 might suit you better:

https://blog.kasson.com/?s=sony+20%2F1.8

Jim

MDL_SD

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 05:56:24 pm »

I suggest that you look at the photos you have taken and determine how often you actually use the 12mm lens.  Do you need to be carrying anything wider than the 16mm (of the 16-35)?  If you left the 12 in the car you would save your weight and simplify?

The 12-24 is 115 grams lighter than the 16-35, but as you say it does not accept screw in filters.  I generally use a circular polarizer outside so the 12-24 has been de-prioritized on my list. 

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 06:06:43 pm »

Thank you both. Jim: I went to your site and saw your reviews. Wonderful information.The 20mm you suggest is covered presently with my 16-35mm and it would also be covered with a 12-24mm if I were to go that way. I do not need a wide aperture lens as I do outdoor seascapes. It is true only a small percentage of my "portfolio grade" shots are with the 12mm, but when you need it, you need it. It provides a view not seen by most folks who are not into ultra wide images.
Thank you again.
Dave in NJ
www.modernpictorials.com

chez

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 06:50:30 pm »

Looking at you website it seems like you use a polarizer a lot. This will become an expensive bulky solution for the 12-24. I'd personally sell you 16-35 2.8 and get the f4 version and just keep the other gear you have.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 12:41:27 pm »

Thank you. Yes, I do use a polarizer often. My 16-35mm lens is the f4 version. I find it very sharp at 16mm, where I use it most often. 35mm, at least on my copy, is less sharp, but usable, as long as you do not put your nose on a big print.   :-[
Pages: [1]   Go Up