Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tethering  (Read 764 times)

Robert Argent

Tethering
« on: April 20, 2020, 10:36:03 am »

Hello, I am new to the forum so please excuse any mistakes. After many years of traditional large format photography (up to 11x14'') and now having retired and moved house I am without my well equipped large darkroom that I had whilst owning my litho printing business. So, I have purchased a used Aptus 22 back to go onto my Arca Swiss 6x9 cm F line, what I am hoping is that someone will be able to tell me if it is possible to tether this back to a Mini Laptop of some sort to get an editing or live view facility when out in the field.
Kind regards Robert Argent

Stephenlee

Re: Tethering
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 04:05:52 pm »

Hi Robert, I too am new to the forum. As I understand, the early Leaf Aptus backs can tether to a laptop using Capture One Pro 11 or earlier. Here's a link of Capture One Pro's supported Mamiya Leaf cameras: https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002718118#h_1f62a7d6-7aea-4bbf-b92b-b0777a0d6f62

It says starting at Capture One Pro 12.1, tethering is no longer supported for the Aptus 22.

Good luck!

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 06:22:54 am »

Hi Robert, you will need a laptop that has got FireWire 400 or 800 which can also power the back. MacBook Pro's still had FW800 in 2012 so a 2nd hand one could be your best option. Newer models with Thunderbolt will require an adapter and a powered repeater (mains or battery)

BR
Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Robert Argent

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 07:23:10 am »

Many thanks for the replies, I can now see a path through the mine field. It's good to know there are people out there who can help.
Robert

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 08:34:40 am »

Just be aware that the tethering experience can be a bit challenging with the early backs - its important to keep good firewire connections, beware of any adapters or extensions, and lengths kept short (to keep the power up). You may want to look into a power booster if you go any length. Don't be discouraged if there are some glitches along the way - may take some time to get a solid, workable tethering workflow.
Geoff

andyptak

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 09:41:26 am »

Robert, if you're looking for a small form laptop - Windows - I have a couple I've used for tethering MF that I don't use anymore and only keep for spares. Let me know if you're interested. Good luck.

Robert Argent

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 07:25:15 am »

Andy, thanks for the offer, if you let me know what they are and how much you think you would want for one I can get it sorted.
Kind regards
Robert

Robert Argent

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 12:18:20 pm »

Has any body seen the GPD micro PC intel N4100 8gb ram, 128gb rom, 6 inch HD Windows 10 Pocket Notebook. If you have and have seen the spec do you think this is an option for working tethered in the field as this is what I am hoping to get to with the Leaf Aptus 22.
Robert

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 02:11:06 pm »

Has any body seen the GPD micro PC intel N4100 8gb ram, 128gb rom, 6 inch HD Windows 10 Pocket Notebook. If you have and have seen the spec do you think this is an option for working tethered in the field as this is what I am hoping to get to with the Leaf Aptus 22.
Robert
It doesn't have a FireWire interface so that's a no. You best option is probably an older MBP...early 2012 would be the newest I believe

BR
Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |
Pages: [1]   Go Up