Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 400   Go Down

Author Topic: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political  (Read 209003 times)

JoeKitchen

Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #5160 on: May 31, 2020, 07:27:47 am »

And that folks, is why a thousand people are dying in the US from Covid a day.
Meanwhile the rest of world has pretty well past the peak and are starting to get back on the road to recovery again.

By the way, almost every other country in the world is free. That does not mean that you are free to riot and loot though.
I have been to 40 countries, including the US, where I have been to 14 states.
In most countries kids can go to school safely and you can get pulled over by the police without worrying about being shot.

George Washington, who gave you your FREEDOM and you put on your money and carve into mountains, was a slave owner. Perhaps he had a different interpretation of freedom?
You build giant marble monuments to celebrate past leaders, whereas in most countries they are lucky to get a suburb named after them. They just did their job, some better the others.

As has been pointed out before, if you take the greater NYC area out of the mix, our stats are as good as Germany's.  So it has nothing to do with our freedoms but how it has been managed. 

Something like 70%  to 80% of those whom died in the NYC area where at nursing homes.  Yet, FL kept their freedoms, protected the nursing homes and has 1/14 the number of death as NY even though they have an equal population that is older on average.  I might add, you and many others here, insisted for months that FL would fall into the abyss because they kept their freedoms.  They haven't. 

Nice to see that you cant accept that you were wrong! 

As has been shown, we dont need to destroy freedoms to prevent deaths.  We need to protect the vulnerable, and my state still is doing nothing. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

faberryman

« Reply #5161 on: May 31, 2020, 03:44:20 pm »

Something like 70%  to 80% of those whom died in the NYC area where at nursing homes.

The latest figures I have seen are 6000 died in nursing homes and another estimated 5000-7000 died in hospitals after being transferred from nursing homes. The total deaths from COVID-19 in NY are approximately 23,000. So 26% died in nursing homes or 48-56% died in nursing homes or died in hospitals after having been transferred from nursing homes. Certainly nothing to be proud of, but also not as grotesque as some would have you believe. Most states only count those who actually died in nursing homes as those who died in nursing homes. Keep that in mind when doing state to state comparisons. For example, the latest numbers I have seen for Florida are 1228 have died in nursing homes out of 2451 total deaths, or 50%.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/29/new-yorks-nursing-home-horrors-are-even-worse-than-you-think/

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article243096941.html

It is ironic. A couple of weeks ago, some here didn't want to count deaths from nursing homes unless the person actually tested positive to keep the number as low as possible so Trump looked better. Now it looks like some would like to push the deaths from nursing homes up as high as possible to discredit a Democrat governor in NY. It is pretty transparent.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 07:27:57 pm by faberryman »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5162 on: May 31, 2020, 04:54:48 pm »

NYC probably got impacted more because it’s a denser urban area. The other places got « lucky » this time.

But I agree that if your President had adopted a reasonable attitude weeks earlier against the virus the whole country, including NYC, would have been able to deal with the situation much better knowing what they knew from what had happened in Europe already.

Tens of thousands of casualties and a badly impacted economy could have been avoided.

The result of the freedom 25% of the US population used to elect Trump.

Cheers,
Bernard

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5163 on: May 31, 2020, 06:40:09 pm »

As has been pointed out before, if you take the greater NYC area out of the mix, our stats are as good as Germany's.  So it has nothing to do with our freedoms but how it has been managed. 

Something like 70%  to 80% of those whom died in the NYC area where at nursing homes.  Yet, FL kept their freedoms, protected the nursing homes and has 1/14 the number of death as NY even though they have an equal population that is older on average.  I might add, you and many others here, insisted for months that FL would fall into the abyss because they kept their freedoms.  They haven't. 

Nice to see that you cant accept that you were wrong! 

As has been shown, we dont need to destroy freedoms to prevent deaths.  We need to protect the vulnerable, and my state still is doing nothing.

And that again defines the US problem of not having a problem about anything.
US new cases today  -  17,985,  US new deaths today 587, New York new cases today 951, NY new deaths today 89. Deaths per million USA 321
Germany (total) new cases today - 200, Germany new deaths today 5. Deaths per million 103.

In what parallel universe is the US doing as well as Germany, with or without New York?
Maybe it was before but the world moves on and fixes its mistakes, but first you have to admit that you have made some.

Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5164 on: May 31, 2020, 08:08:11 pm »

Joe lives in an alternate reality where his wishes and the way his wishes are portrayed by the media he cherry picks define what is real.

Facts are irrelevant and the carriers of facts not matching his alternate reality are categorized as fake.

Anyone genuinely interested in understanding how we got here may want to read Jean Baudrillard’s « Simulation and Simulacre ». A fascinating, if a bit hard to read, book dated 1981. English translation is here: https://books.google.co.jp/books?id=9Z9biHaoLZIC&printsec=frontcover&dq=isbn:0472065211&hl=ja&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiW17GxrN_pAhXBFIgKHc3DDmgQ6AEIKTAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 08:22:09 pm by BernardLanguillier »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5165 on: May 31, 2020, 10:15:11 pm »

Joe lives in an alternate reality where his wishes and the way his wishes are portrayed by the media he cherry picks define what is real.

Facts are irrelevant and the carriers of facts not matching his alternate reality are categorized as fake.
Cheers,
Bernard
He should run for President.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5166 on: June 01, 2020, 12:40:19 am »

The latest figures I have seen are 6000 died in nursing homes and another estimated 5000-7000 died in hospitals after being transferred from nursing homes. The total deaths from COVID-19 in NY are approximately 23,000. So 26% died in nursing homes or 48-56% died in nursing homes or died in hospitals after having been transferred from nursing homes. Certainly nothing to be proud of, but also not as grotesque as some would have you believe. Most states only count those who actually died in nursing homes as those who died in nursing homes. Keep that in mind when doing state to state comparisons. For example, the latest numbers I have seen for Florida are 1228 have died in nursing homes out of 2451 total deaths, or 50%.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/29/new-yorks-nursing-home-horrors-are-even-worse-than-you-think/

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article243096941.html

It is ironic. A couple of weeks ago, some here didn't want to count deaths from nursing homes unless the person actually tested positive to keep the number as low as possible so Trump looked better. Now it looks like some would like to push the deaths from nursing homes up as high as possible to discredit a Democrat governor in NY. It is pretty transparent.
In my town in NJ, we had around 110 deaths to date, 75% were assisted living care homes.  They didn't report how many actually were taken from their homes to the hospital.  But I assume the 75% include both groups because if someone gets sick, the staff in these homes are not prepared to help them as patients.  They call EMS and have them taken to the hospital where they either died or recovered.  Yesterday our town had 0 cases of Covid, a milestone. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5167 on: June 01, 2020, 12:47:29 am »

I took a drive to the Jersey shore with my wife today.  We parked right along the boardwalk and beach.  It was really crowded.  People were walking, running, cycling, all on the boardwallk and loads of people on the beach sunning themselves and doing their regular stuff  This is a summer retreat area that booms in the season.  Young and old.  I'd say 80-90% of the people did not have masks on.  That surprised me.  So I went out of the car anyway with my mask on and tried to stay upwind of the people.  But I finally gave up and went back into the car where my wife was still hiding out refusing to leave the car and calling me crazy for taking a chance. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5168 on: June 01, 2020, 03:26:10 am »

... calling me crazy for taking a chance. 

Alan, you have more chances to get banned from LuLa than get the Chinese virus in open air and fleeting encounters with random people ;)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5169 on: June 01, 2020, 08:55:36 am »

Alan, you have more chances to get banned from LuLa than get the Chinese virus in open air and fleeting encounters with random people ;)
Yes.  It was very quiet not being able to log into LULa for the past week.  Actually nothing;s changed.  Same posts.  Unfortunately, no one told me I was banned.  I was trying to figure out why my computer wasn't working.  :o How embarrassing?  :-[ I still don't know why I was banned.  Anyone know? 

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #5170 on: June 01, 2020, 09:06:41 am »

Yes.  It was very quiet not being able to log into LULa for the past week.  Actually nothing;s changed.  Same posts.  Unfortunately, no one told me I was banned.  I was trying to figure out why my computer wasn't working.  :o How embarrassing?  :-[ I still don't know why I was banned.  Anyone know?

I remember a thread post by the moderator about people being banned for continuing to discuss politics in the non-politics thread. Could you have missed an email that went to junk or maybe a forum private message?
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5171 on: June 01, 2020, 09:38:02 am »

I remember a thread post by the moderator about people being banned for continuing to discuss politics in the non-politics thread. Could you have missed an email that went to junk or maybe a forum private message?
I never got an email or notice.  I could log onto the site but could not log onto the forums for about a week.  I thought being banned meant you couldn't post but still had the ability to see the forum posts?? 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #5172 on: June 01, 2020, 10:03:36 am »

Well given the events of the last few days, I think it is blatantly obvious the skeptics were right. 

You cant force a population to stay in their homes for 70+ days, after initially telling them it would only be for 15, strip them of their dignity by insisting they are "non-essential" and deprive them of their job to provide for their family, which disproportionality effected minorities and the poor, and not expect a powder keg to form in search of a spark. 

To all of my fellow citizens who worked for indefinitely extending the lock downs, continually moving the goal posts on re-opening, I hope you are enjoying the fruits of your labor.  I put these riots on your shoulders.  You may not have provided the spark, but you damn well built up the fuel for it. 

It is time to fully re-open and let people regain their dignity and purpose in life, which will not be provide by some government unemployment check! 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 10:10:54 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5173 on: June 01, 2020, 10:37:16 am »

Well given the events of the last few days, I think it is blatantly obvious the skeptics were right. 

You cant force a population to stay in their homes for 70+ days, after initially telling them it would only be for 15, strip them of their dignity by insisting they are "non-essential" and deprive them of their job to provide for their family, which disproportionality effected minorities and the poor, and not expect a powder keg to form in search of a spark. 

To all of my fellow citizens who worked for indefinitely extending the lock downs, continually moving the goal posts on re-opening, I hope you are enjoying the fruits of your labor.  I put these riots on your shoulders.  You may not have provided the spark, but you damn well built up the fuel for it.

The riots are not because of the lockdown. They are due to systemic racism and discrimination that culminated in yet another (police) murder of a coloured man.
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5174 on: June 01, 2020, 10:37:49 am »

It is time to fully re-open and let people regain their dignity and purpose in life, which will not be provide by some government unemployment check!

Are you talking about the murderous policeman? Shifting blame about a racial murder is old and stale.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5175 on: June 01, 2020, 11:04:59 am »

... disproportionality effected minorities and the poor, and not expect a powder keg to form in search of a spark...

Terrible! Imagine 2-3 months not being able to deal and steal! And no safety valve in the form of football games, bars, meeting friends.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #5176 on: June 01, 2020, 11:57:29 am »

The riots are not because of the lockdown. They are due to systemic racism and discrimination that culminated in yet another (police) murder of a coloured man.

The riots did not take place not because of racism or the killing of an unarmed black man: those were what prompted the overwhelmingly peaceful protest marches that began in Minneapolis and spread to other cities throughout the country.  The riots were the work of criminals who took advantage of the protests to loot, attack the police, and start fires.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5177 on: June 01, 2020, 12:00:49 pm »

;D ;D ;D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5178 on: June 01, 2020, 12:07:13 pm »

The riots did not take place not because of racism or the killing of an unarmed black man: those were what prompted the overwhelmingly peaceful protest marches that began in Minneapolis and spread to other cities throughout the country.  The riots were the work of criminals who took advantage of the protests to loot, attack the police, and start fires.

"overwhelmingly peaceful" - seriously!? There is perhaps one town in the whole US that did not have riots and looting.

And those criminals are... what? who? Russians? White supremacists? The amount of destruction can not be a work of "just a few" bad apples.

Thugs trying to prove their image as thugs is unjustified by providing cause for the treatment they supposedly protest about 🤣

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5179 on: June 01, 2020, 12:17:39 pm »

Are you talking about the murderous policeman? Shifting blame about a racial murder is old and stale.

;D ;D ;D

Oh, God... how you foreigners fall for the brainwashing narrative of the American leftist media!

Three of the four cops involved are non-white. The fourth cop is married to a minority woman (so racist!). According to the autopsy, the death is NOT a result of asphyxiation (I think it will be added to the statistics as yet another death by the Chinese virus).

None of the above excuses the excessive force the cop used. But that was a legitimate technique during his training, and stopped being taught only as recently as 2016. But premeditated murder or racist it isn't.

Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 400   Go Up