Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SC-P600 - PK disappears after head clean cycle  (Read 1843 times)

Clark

SC-P600 - PK disappears after head clean cycle
« on: April 03, 2020, 06:34:10 am »

Hi all,

It's me, back with another problem with my P600.

Anyone had any experience with a print head going awol after a head clean (when it was functioning fine before)? This has happened with my photo black head a couple of times now, and I have to run a good number of clean cycles to bring it back fully.

One thing to mention is that some other inks are very low. I think I read someone mention this can affect other channels sometimes but can't remember where. So yes, I thought I'd flag this up.

Would be very grateful as always to you guys if anyone can help.

Thanks,
Clark

I.T. Supplies

Re: SC-P600 - PK disappears after head clean cycle
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 10:14:40 am »

Clark,

This can actually happen unfortunately, with this model.  I switched the PBK to MBK and it took up to 7 cleanings to get that channel to fire properly; this was after not using the printer for a few weeks.  Just the way the model is set for some reason.

There is only 1 print head in the printer (like all Epson models) and around 1000 nozzles per color (those VERY tiny holes where the ink droplets come out of).  This is why you see the option in maintenance for "nozzle check" available so it can check them (mainly testing each color channel).  If you have line breaks in the nozzle print, this is because those nozzles are clogged/not firing properly.

I've seen this issue happen more with the PBK/MBK channels since they share the same line, but just purges the one black to switch to the order (based on media type).

So you may have to do a handful of cleanings to get it pushed through.  The one option to help it vs the multiple cleanings that do every color, is make a small box (around 1"x1") and fill it in with the darkest black you can select.  Than print it on plain paper (or matte), so you can use as much of the feeding options to change sides and turn over to use those sides.  Keep the media type the same even though it may be a different paper type, it will be fine.  You're just trying to help the printer push the ink through.  Do another nozzle check to see if it helped at all.  At times, the nozzle check will attempt to check all colors (as well as the cleaning), but the issue may help resolve the black,  but another color may get slightly affected during the process and do another cleaning to help resolve that.

Not saying this will fix it completely, but a method of trying so you don't use up more of the colors than needed.

Clark

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 03:44:55 am »

Hey I.T. Supplies,

Thanks for the reply. I learned a while back about switching to MK (which is unused on my machine), and so I haven't switched blacks for a long time.

I just feel there must be a reason for the black doing this particular disappearing act. This problem has recurred twice now.

Each time the photo black has dropped out completely BECAUSE of a head clean cycle (which both instances I only ran to correct minor imperfections across a few other channels).

The first time it came back completely with a single further cleaning cycle.

This second time it has so far taken 5 cleaning cycles and is incrementally improving.

Well anyway, I will be flushing more of my inks through my printer this morning. Also I've heard the P600 only has a limited waste tank and it can't be emptied? Does anyone know how many clean cycles it can do roughly?

Thanks again,
Clark

Ferp

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 06:59:36 pm »

Well anyway, I will be flushing more of my inks through my printer this morning. Also I've heard the P600 only has a limited waste tank and it can't be emptied? Does anyone know how many clean cycles it can do roughly?

It should be possible to fit an external waste ink tank, and then to reset the printer's waste ink warning when it occurs.  You have to purchase a key to do the reset, but it's not expensive.  A number of suppliers sell waste ink tanks for small format printers.  Octoink is worth a look.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 10:37:57 am »

You want to be safe on doing any physical work on the printer as if you do something that you can't put back together properly, you may damage/mess it up moving forward.  Than the repair costs may be higher in the long run.

If there are videos available online that offer this process, make sure you watch it a few times to get familiar with it and just go over it again during the process.
I'm not sure how it's set in the printer, but this model doesn't have a replaceable maintenance tank like the larger models.  Probably because Epson made it last for as long as the printer works (which may not be a crazy amount per the size) where as the 17" models use more ink and can do larger size media for a replacement waste tank.

But good luck on the process for replacing it if you do!
Also, if it's under warranty (which I'm thinking it isn't any longer), it would void it from doing personal inside maintenance.

Ferp

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 08:06:06 pm »

As a general comment on printer repairs, I.T Supplies caution is a fair point.  However fitting a waste ink tank is one of the simpler things you can do.  You need to be handy, but only a little.  You need to remove the right side cover, and to do that you need to remove the back cover and a part of the front.  I haven't done the P600, but I've done this a number of times to desktop printers and they've all been much the same.  I recommended Octoink because their waste ink tanks are better than the models you see sold elsewhere, and they have excellent instructions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up