Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: What Will You Do During the Plague Year?  (Read 7657 times)

JoeKitchen

Re: What Will You Do During the Plague Year?
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2020, 02:42:53 pm »

Joe, is that bacterium on blue cheese or what?  I'm always hesitant to eat that cheese although I sometimes get a blue cheese dressing on iceberg lettuce wedge with bacon bits.

Maybe you shouldn't answer my question.  I have a feeling I'm not going to like the answer.  :)

Not bacteria, but mold, specifically Penicillium Roqueforti, which is the mold that gives blue cheese its flavor.  It is perfectly safe to eat, albeit a little disconcerting the first time you see a wheel of blue before it is scraped. 

Essentially all cheese is made with some type of bacteria, aka the cultures, that infects the milk, starts turning lactose into lactic acid and congeals the milk to a degree plus releasing flavor compounds.  Left alone, this would turn into a yogurt like substance, but with cheese, we add rennet that causes the cheese to form one giant semi-solid curd.  At this point the curd is cut down into smaller pieces, ranging from a 1/8 inch to a full inch cube and agitated for a period of time, which releases the whey.  The initial size that the curd is cut down into and then by how much it is agitated dictates how hard or soft the cheese is.  Larger curds produce a softer cheese. 

With blue cheese, we also add Penicillium Roqueforti in addition to the culture.  However, this mold needs oxygen to grow, so we cut large curds, let them dry out a bit before putting them in the cheese mold and let them just knit together under their own weight only.  This allows for many fishers between the curds to remain and promotes air flow.  After a couple weeks, the mold starts to grow in blue/green splotches and at this point we needle the wheel all over to increase air flow inside.  (Notice the very thick veins; that is from the needling.)  After about two to three months, the Penicillium Roqueforti mold completely covers the cheese, which is what you see in the first pick.  At this point it has gotten so thick, no air flow is getting inside and it starts to yellow, so it is scraped off.  I then wrapped it with parchment and foil, which will slow the growth but continue to increase the flavor. 

With cheese making, mold is kind of expected and even encouraged.  Even with cheeses that don't use mold, mold will eventually grow on the outside.  You wipe it off with salt water until the a hard natural rind forms or you can wax or bandage it. 

I bandage my wheels of Gouda, which is a process of covering the wheel with hot lard and then tightly wrapping the cheese in a few layers of lard soaked cheese cloth.  The lard keeps mold from growing on the cheese directly, but mold does grow on the outer layer of cloth.  This however is not enough for the mold to survive on for too long, and eventually the mold dies, hardens and creates a protective layer.  Plus is allows for more air flow, increasing overall flavor development then just using wax. 

Mold is a way of life. 

PS, below is a pic of a few wheels in my "cave."  The two on the left are bandaged Gouda I made a few months ago.  As you can see, there is quite a lot of mold on the outside, but is only growing on the cheese cloth.  Even if it did make it to the cheese, it is mainly Penicillium Roqueforti, which needs oxygen to live and Gouda is too dense for mold to get past the surface.  The wheel 2nd from right is Gouda I made last week and bandaged a few days ago.  The wheel on the right is Gruyere, which has a natural rind forming.  Essentially I allow the exterior to dry out and harden, wiping it down with salt water and eventually it gets too dry for mold to grow on it.  As you can see, it has strunk a good deal compared to the Gouda, another advantage of bandaging the wheel. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 03:12:59 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

JoeKitchen

« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2020, 03:11:07 pm »

Aw man, cut it out. We've run out of our favourite aged gouda and I won't be able to drive out to the factory outlet to get more any time soon.

That sucks.  I'd tell you how to make it, but you would be looking at a 6 month process.  Stay strong. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2020, 04:03:31 pm »

Joe, that's amazing.  Almost like developing film.  Does the milk you buy and what the cow (or sheep or whatever) eats affect its taste?  Do you sell these cheese or are they just for home consumption?  At least you won't stave if things get really bad.   I mean I could make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  But not from scratch. :)

JoeKitchen

« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2020, 06:24:41 pm »

Joe, that's amazing.  Almost like developing film.  Does the milk you buy and what the cow (or sheep or whatever) eats affect its taste?  Do you sell these cheese or are they just for home consumption?  At least you won't stave if things get really bad.   I mean I could make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  But not from scratch. :)

What the cow eats certainly has an effect on taste.  I have tasted milk from cows that have had the not so standard diet of cows in the USA and there is a definite difference in taste.  Granted, my palate is very well developed.  All of my hobbies revolve around things in which I taste and have nuances of flavor, such as cooking, cheese making, beer brewing, cigar and wine collecting, etc.  All of these have very subtle nuances of flavor that are hard to pick up to the novice, especially with wine and cigars.  So how much the average person could detect a difference is up in the air.

With that said, the milk that I use for my cheese making is the standard "American" flavored milk. 

What makes a big difference though is whether or now the milk is raw.  Many of the cultures used in cheese making naturally occur in the regions the cheese originally come from.  Traditional cheese makers in Europe actually mainly use raw milk and don't add any cultures since they are already present.  (They do add the molds though in mold ripened cheese.)  So using raw milk will have their own bacterias in them that will effect/enhance the flavor.  Also, pasteurizing the changes the calcium bonds, which effects how well the curd will set.  With pasteurized milk, you add calcium to help with setting but ultra-pasteurized will not set at all.  So there is that.

Of course you run the risk of listeria and other food born illnesses with raw milk, but major cheese makers in Europe often have labs that test each shipment for these.  In the USA you have to use pasteurized milk when making cheese.  I would not trust any raw milk I get here since most small farmers probably have not had it checked for listeria. 

I dont sell any; that would be illegal and too many regulations to deal with to make it so.  Plus, if I did something wrong and people got sick, that is something I would not want to risk.  Granted, friends and family try my concoctions all of the time, but I am also very careful with everything.  On a commercial level though, I just don't have the training or confidence. 

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2020, 12:38:13 pm »

Day one of our government 21 day shut down. Not even allowed to walk our dogs. I will head to the local supermarket next Wednesday. We have enough stuff but I like fresh fruit and vegetables. No alcohol allowed to be sold but I don’t drink so don’t care.

I have a table tennis table we are now using and I bought a dart board. Want to make ice cream tomorrow. Did a yoga class with a group of friends using zoom. Booked a three day shoot for as son as the shut down ends. Did two hours of meditation and will do another thirty minutes before bed.

I’m having a blast to be honest. Feel almost guilty.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Rob C

« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2020, 11:06:46 am »

Day one of our government 21 day shut down. Not even allowed to walk our dogs. I will head to the local supermarket next Wednesday. We have enough stuff but I like fresh fruit and vegetables. No alcohol allowed to be sold but I don’t drink so don’t care.

I have a table tennis table we are now using and I bought a dart board. Want to make ice cream tomorrow. Did a yoga class with a group of friends using zoom. Booked a three day shoot for as son as the shut down ends. Did two hours of meditation and will do another thirty minutes before bed.

I’m having a blast to be honest. Feel almost guilty.

Some worrying scenes from S.A. townships on Sky News today, with folks ignoring the two-metres deal. As one person pointed out: six of us live in the same hut. One policeman trying to enforce the rule to no avail, then the military called in and with equal lack of joy. Below a link to Sky News:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sky+news+live&docid=608029044970422374&mid=998F656C88D670DB1E2F998F656C88D670DB1E2F&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

The world ain't ready.

Rob

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2020, 11:20:53 am »

The world ain't ready.

We should look on the bright side. Not many are still saying it's just another flu anymore, so we got past that. And with everyone on earth going to bed praying for a vaccine, it's keeping the anti-vaxers quiet and out of the way.  :)
--
Robert

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2020, 11:24:20 am »

Some worrying scenes from S.A. townships on Sky News today, with folks ignoring the two-metres deal. As one person pointed out: six of us live in the same hut. One policeman trying to enforce the rule to no avail, then the military called in and with equal lack of joy. Below a link to Sky News:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sky+news+live&docid=608029044970422374&mid=998F656C88D670DB1E2F998F656C88D670DB1E2F&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

The world ain't ready.

Rob

Yep. I didn’t even bother to follow the link. I know what’s happening. I knew it was going to happen.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2020, 10:50:26 am »

We should look on the bright side. Not many are still saying it's just another flu anymore, so we got past that. And with everyone on earth going to bed praying for a vaccine, it's keeping the anti-vaxers quiet and out of the way.  :)

I've been thinking about long term benefits for humanity that could come of this and things like this are at the top of the list.
Those of us who survive this may find a better informed populace on the other side or at least one more open to scientific thinking and solutions.
-MattB

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2020, 11:00:34 am »

I've been thinking about long term benefits for humanity that could come of this and things like this are at the top of the list.
Those of us who survive this may find a better informed populace on the other side or at least one more open to scientific thinking and solutions.

I hope you're right.

My preference is to be optimistic in outlook, while keeping an eye out for the bad stuff. Some things are sad to see though, like this report on the current online onslaught against Dr. Fauci, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mBH1s-yhBw&feature=youtu.be. The presenter will rub lots of people the wrong way, and they won't be able to get past that to listen to the content. I think she could have used a re-write. But it is astonishing that there is a move afoot to discredit Dr. Fauci and it's hard to figure out what the purpose is. What is the end-game. That kind of thing can wear down optimism.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2020, 11:25:12 am »

I hope you're right.

My preference is to be optimistic in outlook, while keeping an eye out for the bad stuff. Some things are sad to see though, like this report on the current online onslaught against Dr. Fauci, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mBH1s-yhBw&feature=youtu.be. The presenter will rub lots of people the wrong way, and they won't be able to get past that to listen to the content. I think she could have used a re-write. But it is astonishing that there is a move afoot to discredit Dr. Fauci and it's hard to figure out what the purpose is. What is the end-game. That kind of thing can wear down optimism.
Fauci, surprisingly, has been generally supportive of Trump and his plans.  The left and the Democrats don't like that.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2020, 11:54:48 am »

Fauci, surprisingly, has been generally supportive of Trump and his plans.  The left and the Democrats don't like that.

Hmm, you were saying you didn't like Fauci when I recently made a (so far incorrect, thankfully) prediction he was going to be removed.
I suspect you haven't watched the video because it's about Fauci not being liked by those on the right and the crazy conspiracies (like he is part of the deep state working with Hilary to undermine the president).
They don't like him when he contradicts the president. When he contradicts the president it's has been because the president is saying dangerously inaccurate things that are likely to get people killed.

I think Fauci is staying and persevering under these attacks out of his responsibility to help protect people. So this guy (me) on the left likes him.
If you have come around and you like now then maybe there's hope for you yet.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 11:58:10 am by MattBurt »
-MattB

elliot_n

« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2020, 12:39:57 pm »

Fauci, surprisingly, has been generally supportive of Trump and his plans.

Trump, surprisingly, has been generally supportive of Fauci and his plans.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2020, 01:02:26 pm »

Hmm, you were saying you didn't like Fauci when I recently made a (so far incorrect, thankfully) prediction he was going to be removed.
I suspect you haven't watched the video because it's about Fauci not being liked by those on the right and the crazy conspiracies (like he is part of the deep state working with Hilary to undermine the president).
They don't like him when he contradicts the president. When he contradicts the president it's has been because the president is saying dangerously inaccurate things that are likely to get people killed.

I think Fauci is staying and persevering under these attacks out of his responsibility to help protect people. So this guy (me) on the left likes him.
If you have come around and you like now then maybe there's hope for you yet.
My feelings about Fauci came from a feeling I had about him from 30 years ago.  Something political.  But he seems to know how to play the game fairly well which probably accounts why he's been at this job all these decades.  He's able to get his point across without seeming contradictory to political leadership.  And frankly, as Elliot just said, Trump has listened to Fauci. 

The president is not a robot following the opinions of his subordinates.  That's not leadership.   He's the president of the country and his job also includes being a booster, giving hope to people to help them get through difficult times.  His job is to be positive when everything is or looks dire, when people are full of fear.  But he's not stupid.  He understands when he has to adjust his sails to the changing winds while still presenting a positive outlook. 

The only difference between now and situations like that in the past is that the media is anti-Trump.  They look for everything to diminish what he does,  I'm sure the press didn;t criticize FDR when he said that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself after the disaster of Pearl Harbor at the beginning of WWII. Our whole Pacific Fleet took a drubbing.  The press got behind him instead of knocking him with comments like he doesn't appreciate how serious the situation is.  Of cause Roosevelt knew that he was whistling past the graveyard with his comment. But his job was to encourage the people, to give hope.  It would be nice if the press responded similarly.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2020, 01:23:06 pm »

Trump, surprisingly, has been generally supportive of Fauci and his plans.

Eventually. When there was no other realistic option. :)
--
Robert

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2020, 01:57:32 pm »

I'm glad someone with at least some scientific literacy got through to Trump eventually. Time will tell if it sticks. (this is regarding the call to be open for business by Easter)

I agree he doesn't have to listen to "opinions of his subordinates". But this is often what a good leader does because they have the humility to know they are not experts in everything. Another thing a good leader does is surround themselves with knowledgeable people with the authority to disagree when their leader is misinformed.

As for words of encouragement, I agree they are an important part of leadership. But words of encouragement are not the same as discounting a legitimate crisis using misinformation. While that may comfort people right now, they will not feel that comfort when they are sick from following the president's recommendations that were in direct conflict with actual experts.

When given an easy opportunity to say something encouraging he responded this way:

Peter Alexander, White House correspondent at NBC News, asked the US president: “What do you say to Americans, who are watching you right now, who are scared?”

Trump responded with: “I say that you’re a terrible reporter. That’s what I say. I think it’s a very nasty question and I think it’s a very bad signal that you’re putting out to the American people.”

So I give him credit for not responding with misinformation but I have a feeling frightened Americans were not comforted by this. I know I wasn't.
In his position I would have tried to come up with a "We are all in this together and will get through this." kind of response. But that is not how he rolls.
-MattB

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2020, 02:52:22 pm »

I'm glad someone with at least some scientific literacy got through to Trump eventually. Time will tell if it sticks. (this is regarding the call to be open for business by Easter)

I agree he doesn't have to listen to "opinions of his subordinates". But this is often what a good leader does because they have the humility to know they are not experts in everything. Another thing a good leader does is surround themselves with knowledgeable people with the authority to disagree when their leader is misinformed.

As for words of encouragement, I agree they are an important part of leadership. But words of encouragement are not the same as discounting a legitimate crisis using misinformation. While that may comfort people right now, they will not feel that comfort when they are sick from following the president's recommendations that were in direct conflict with actual experts.

When given an easy opportunity to say something encouraging he responded this way:

So I give him credit for not responding with misinformation but I have a feeling frightened Americans were not comforted by this. I know I wasn't.
In his position I would have tried to come up with a "We are all in this together and will get through this." kind of response. But that is not how he rolls.

I agree.  He's a terrible and inexperienced politician who never was elected for anything before he became president.  He talks and acts like the loudmouth New York real estate salesman from Queens who he is.  It's what people love about him and hate about him.  But if you actually look at his policy actions over the last four years, they've been pretty much what he said he'd do before the election and mainly positive in their consequences.   

Rob C

« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2020, 03:03:48 pm »

I wonder if it's possible to slide even further off the topic of this thread, the respite from stress and the sweet alternative that it offered...

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2020, 03:44:17 pm »

I wonder if it's possible to slide even further off the topic of this thread, the respite from stress and the sweet alternative that it offered...

Quite right. I've watched a few youtube videos made by musicians from their home studios, sometimes in concert with other band mates from their own home studios, playing some of their famous (or otherwise) songs to entertain people stuck at home. Sam Roberts, Jim Cuddy, Barenakedladies are a few Canadian examples. It's not a small thing, requires some effort, but a decent thing to do. A few of them are recording the tunes with their own kids as back-up musicians and singers. They are a pleasure to watch, takes the mind off much worse things.
--
Robert

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2020, 03:57:16 pm »

Sorry Rob, I forgot which thread I was replying in. I'll leave it alone here now.
-MattB
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up