Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z9+ pizza wheels syndrome with firmware JGR9_06_19_41.2  (Read 2570 times)

deanwork

Re: HP Z9+ pizza wheels syndrome with firmware JGR9_06_19_41.2
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2020, 09:20:50 am »

Jon Cone pioneered this idea of running the gloss pigment print back through the printer a second time for a GO ( gloss optimizer coating) . Their prints done that way were the first ( over 12 years ago ) that really gave bw gloss fiber prints a perfect gelatin silver surface. It’s one thing to do that on a desktop machine ( though far from ideal ) but totally more problematic for large prints on cotton paper. I had a special 24 inch Epson set up just to apply the GO as a second run as was not happy with the concept. They have subsequently moved to a one pass method.

Problem I had was cotton dust and print scratching ruining the prints in the second pass. Does it look good, yes. Is it a pain in the ass with a high casualty rate and dragging out the time needed to do a print, yes.
I’ve been there and done that.

I understand Mark was suggesting this as a stop gap measure while one is figuring out correct media ink limit settings, but for me doing a quick spray of Premiere Art is far easier and much more durable and the Platine prints look amazing.

Given the popularity of “Baryta” type media, like Hahnemuehle, Epson, and Canson are selling so much of, and given that Platine exhibits less bronzing and gloss differential than those papers, they will figure out appropriate media settings or simply loose market share. I’m not too worried about it.

John

The main complaint I know from a user of the Canon Pro 4000 is that the Green ink removed to allow the Gloss Enhancer reduced the green saturation compared to the older models. That user still running an iPF8300 and iPF8400 as well. Monday I saw his prints of the 4000 and 8400 and he is right. I made him aware of the HP Z9+ and he is interested. Like I am but that mainly because the Z3200-PS / Windows 10 / Qimage Ultimate software upgrades give me headaches with the lost features and flawed interaction. I have to triple check things these days and can still be surprised. The Z3200-PS hardware remains good (with some odd hacks on my part) and there is ink for a year left here. Photokina is in May, if the crowned flu does not throw a spike in the wheels.

I do hope there is not a legal contract on the X-rite hardware in the Z9+ that does not allow higher numbers of patches. The actual profile creation software for the Z9+ is more likely HP's own development like it was in the Z3200s Color Center version (not the APS version). Anyone checked the content of a Z9+ custom printer profile on HP origin? I did not see a quality difference between the CC and APS printer profiles for the Z3200 so an improved CC software should be good enough. I read here in the thread that the calibration improved too. Today I am using ArgyllCMS for profile making with the  Z3200-PS printed and scanned targets. Which is also excellent. Thanks to the two Marks for how to get that done. I'm using the

On printing GE only on a sheet. With Qimage Ultimate there probably is not more needed than making a printer profile with an RGB change of the whites to RGB 254 255 255, in Photoshop more channels has to be lifted 1 point. I used one of  both methods to get GE on whites in an image with the GE Economic setting. However if nothing is printed in normal GE mode then I guess a 254 254 254 light grey image with a QU printer filter that lifts it to 254 255 255 will do the trick. I never saw any cyan dots appear and GE was put on the whites.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Re: HP Z9+ pizza wheels syndrome with firmware JGR9_06_19_41.2
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2020, 05:38:07 am »

I’ve used the GE treatment on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl with much success John. Never had an issue with this method - but I did tweak the profile with starwheels up, etc.

This could present a problem with very large sheets however as you said, with dust, but perhaps canned air might prevent that. Unquestionably Premier spray would be best, but since I have chemical sensitivity from working with woodworking finishes for over 50 years I can use this method very easily in my print studio and have had much success.

I really like the precision and evenness of the coating using the Z. I did a fair amount of tweaking to get it the way I like it.

Not a fan of rattle cans but we all have our processes - when I have used Premier in the past, results were good.

M
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up