Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop turns 30...when did you start using it?  (Read 904 times)

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Photoshop turns 30...when did you start using it?
« on: February 25, 2020, 04:40:59 pm »

I started in 1993 with PS 2.5 for Windows, long before I found the wonders of the Mac OS.  Combined with an crazy expensive Kodak DCS 200 b/w 1.5mp camera I jumped into the digital world.  It was not until the early 2000's when the Canon 1Ds made its way into my hands that digital went prime time for my commercial work.  I had my hand at shooting the Betterlight 4000 prior to that but it really was not a workable option for my projects. 

When did you make the leap?
Craig Lamson Photo

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Photoshop turns 30...when did you start using it?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 05:34:25 pm »

In 1998, with PS 2 or 3.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 05:41:41 pm »

On windows Millenium, and via PS6.

That must make it from around the turn of the century.

Rob

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 08:17:32 pm »

About April or May, 1990 with version 1.0.7. Mac IIci,I think a mere 8mb of RAM (can’t recall, maybe it was 16mb). Yes, MB.
I do recall having a 15mb file (yes 15mb). Had to rotate it about 2 degrees to straighten it out. Took 15 minutes!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 05:28:10 am »

About April or May, 1990 with version 1.0.7. Mac IIci,I think a mere 8mb of RAM (can’t recall, maybe it was 16mb). Yes, MB.
I do recall having a 15mb file (yes 15mb). Had to rotate it about 2 degrees to straighten it out. Took 15 minutes!

wow !

I started with the ps3 version - the first with layers?
It took me a year to master it.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 05:38:32 am »

wow !

I started with the ps3 version - the first with layers?
It took me a year to master it.

Mastering Photoshop isn't even on my list of things to do before I die. I know enough to do what I do, and consider myself fortunate to have remembered enough to do that!

It arrived in my life after I had retired. If earlier, I suppose I would have had no option but to dig deeply just to stay alive. It took ages for me to be able to get Layers to work!

;-(

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 05:49:49 am »

Mastering Photoshop isn't even on my list of things to do before I die. I know enough to do what I do, and consider myself fortunate to have remembered enough to do that!

It arrived in my life after I had retired. If earlier, I suppose I would have had no option but to dig deeply just to stay alive. It took ages for me to be able to get Layers to work!

;-(

Every program has  some kind of logic and as i said with Photoshop it took me a year... but then i liked it.
Some other programs i really don't like ( flash, even illustrator) for they have another kind of logic that i don't get.

Also i like well made programs that leave you a lot of freedom and if something goes wrong it is your fault not the programs. Photoshop is such a program.
That said i have got the idea my wacom is painting a bit better with the latest version.
The rocksolid versions are for me CS5 and lower.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 05:58:31 am »

Late 1994. A Kodak DCS 420 producing 1,2 MP files processed on a Mac 7200 with 16 MB of ram running Photoshop 2,5. No layers.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 10:03:26 am »

Late 1994. A Kodak DCS 420 producing 1,2 MP files processed on a Mac 7200 with 16 MB of ram running Photoshop 2,5. No layers.

Those old Kodaks were quite the bit of kit back then.  What a crop factor!
Craig Lamson Photo

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 10:34:36 am »

Those old Kodaks were quite the bit of kit back then.  What a crop factor!

Impressive at the time. I owned a 420 and later two DCS460s as well as a DCS 465 back. I hated that back

I remember when PS 3 was launched and layers were introduced. Happiness.

My first contact with PS was at the Colorlab of Florida in 1992. I was working in the darkroom and liaising with people running the first version of PS. I could see trouble coming.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 10:44:56 am »

Impressive at the time. I owned a 420 and later two DCS460s as well as a DCS 465 back. I hated that back

I remember when PS 3 was launched and layers were introduced. Happiness.

My first contact with PS was at the Colorlab of Florida in 1992. I was working in the darkroom and liaising with people running the first version of PS. I could see trouble coming.

I really hated it for the lab guys.  On of the things I missed most was seeing other photograpers at the lab.  It was a great time to chat with peers. Once digital took hold those times became few and far between.

Craig Lamson Photo

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 10:49:01 am »

1999 and PS3-4?  Mac G3 beige desktop, 4GB Hard Drive, Ram?, I didn't know what that was then.

Peter

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 10:50:21 am »

For me, Kodak DCS-100, B&W and a massive HD pack. But it made a very nice 8x10 B&W on my Kodak XL-7700 printer I purchased USED for $10K.  :P

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 10:59:55 am »

I really hated it for the lab guys.  On of the things I missed most was seeing other photograpers at the lab.  It was a great time to chat with peers. Once digital took hold those times became few and far between.

I was a real lab guy. In Florida I was stand in for whoever was on leave. Every two weeks another department. I had worked so long in so many labs I could fit in any department. Then I turned off the lights in the darkroom in Ft Lauderdale not knowing I would never set foot in a darkroom again. If I known I would have looked over my shoulder as I left. I had been hanging around in Darkrooms from before I went to school. I was printing for pocket money at age 14. Photoshop and Kodak cameras. You could see it coming but man it happened quickly.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 11:04:40 am »

I was a real lab guy. In Florida I was stand in for whoever was on leave. Every two weeks another department. I had worked so long in so many labs I could fit in any department. Then I turned off the lights in the darkroom in Ft Lauderdale not knowing I would never set foot in a darkroom again. If I known I would have looked over my shoulder as I left. I had been hanging around in Darkrooms from before I went to school. I was printing for pocket money at age 14. Photoshop and Kodak cameras. You could see it coming but man it happened quickly.

I grew up in this business as a lab rat.  My first job was printing b/w portraits for a local portrait photographer. I "graduated" to an A/V house where we did a little bit of everything from film edit, slide presentation, and lots of darkroom stuff for a few big industrial clients.  I learned a lot there...optical printers, Oxberry animation cameras, dip and dunks, color printing and of course b/w printing.  We used to make 200-500 each of a neg for one client.  8x10 copy negs of retouched images ( including opaqued out backgrounds..some of those painting artists where amazing) printed on a moving platen contact printer with a dozen bulbs on movable arms to dodge and burn.  Processed 25 or more at a time by hand in big deep trays, then dried ( we were using fiber single weight) on a big Pako Superdrum Ferrotype dryer.  Man it was old school!  I had brown fingers until I moved out of the B/W darkroom.  But it was an amaing education for lots of lab techniques. 

I went on to a big commercial studio and ran E-6. C-41 and RA-4 in Hope roller transport processors before I got the chance to start shooting....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 04:13:51 pm by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2020, 03:58:03 pm »

I grew up in this business as a lab rat.  My first job was printing b/w portraits for a local portrait photographer. I "graduated" to an A/V house where we did a little bit of everything from film edit, slide presentation, and lots of darkroom stuff for a few big industrial clients.  I learned a lot there...optical printers, Oxberry animation cameras, dip and dunks, color printing and of course b/w printing.  We used to make 200-500 each of a neg for one client.  8x10 copy negs of retouched images ( including opaqued out backgrounds..some of those painting artists where amazing) printed on a moving platen contact printer with a dozen bulbs on movable arms to dodge and burn.  Processed 25 or more at a time by hand in big deep trays, then dried ( we were using fiber single weight) on a big Pako Superdrum Ferrotype dryer.  Man it was old school!  I had brown fingers until I moved out of the B/W darkroom.  But it was an amaing education for lots of lab techniques. 

I went on to a gbig ommercial studio and ran E-6. C-41 and RA-4 in Hope roller transport processors before I got the chance to start shooting....

Bulk hand-printing 8x10s in a dish was something I learned to do in my early days in an industrial company's darkroom. After that, I ended up doing the colour darkroom stuff, mostly all on my own, which I rather liked. None of it was, to me, interesting photography, and making endless series of prints of broken jet engine turbine blades could have been mind-numbing, but getting a b/w print to look exactly like a grey, metal blade took some doing and was a marvellous learning opportunity. It was even more of a challenge in colour, because with much of that work of other engine parts, the colour was crucial for the engineers who could read the colours as indicating temperatures to which the parts had been exposed.

Sometimes I would be handed a small strip of motion film with a marked frame from which to make a copy negative and then a matching print. I could so easily spend an entire Sunday of overtime getting that baby to bed.

The beauty of that job was that it was a service department with no restrictions on materials usage: get it right was all that counted. What an amazing opportunity to learn how far you could take printing.

When I left industrial employment to go solo, that b/w bulk-printing experience really paid off when I got into fashion work, and shooting PR fashion pix for manufactures. Doing so much darkroom printing is why I think I found adapting to how good a digital print could become was already second-nature.

Rob

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2020, 04:17:20 pm »

In the 1980s, even before Photoshop came out using long-forgotten image editing software of the time such as Enhance and ColorStudio come to mind though it's getting foggy now, then into Photoshop 2.x on my Mac Iici and the addiction continues...
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 04:18:16 pm »

Doing so much darkroom printing is why I think I found adapting to how good a digital print could become was already second-nature.

Rob

This is what is missing in many undergraduate photography departments. Learning how to print and knowing how a good print should look. Students have no understanding how truly inferior their digital prints are. No...I don't teach photography. I do teach painting and understanding how light falls and  influences color for painting. And learning how to capture that in paint.

Peter

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 04:19:14 pm »

Not too sure, probably around 1999-2000 on a custom assembled Win PC.

At the time mostly to work on scans.

Cheers,
Bernard

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2020, 04:25:22 pm »

In the 1980s, even before Photoshop came out using long-forgotten image editing software of the time such as Enhance and ColorStudio come to mind though it's getting foggy now, then into Photoshop 2.x on my Mac Iici and the addiction continues...
ColorStudio came out about the same time as Photoshop. The two competed for awhile. There was for a short time, a similar set of camps for which was superior as we saw with “Nikon vs. Canon”. ColorStudio had CMYK before Photoshop which was one reason some settled on it instead of PS. Ultimately PS became the victor, probably because it was IMHO a bit easier to learn and use. In early 1990 I had the choice and fortunately picked PS and never looked back. There have been products that were said to be Photoshop killers (Xrez, Live Picture), but they died too.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up