Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does paper choice affect longevity when using Canon Pro-100s?  (Read 1054 times)

Kees_1948

Does paper choice affect longevity when using Canon Pro-100s?
« on: February 23, 2020, 10:23:43 pm »

I am trying to assist a friend to set up  Canon Pro-100 printer to use with her Mac (OSX 10.15.3).
She asked me to set it up to use with Ilford GALERIE Pearl RC paper.

She intends to use it to print cartoons, for sale to people through an exhibition.

Now, I realize that the Canon is a dye printer, so the result will hardly be archival, but, given the printer is all they have, would there be any advantage using a different, non RC paper in terms of longevity of the prints....

NAwlins_Contrarian

Re: Does paper choice affect longevity when using Canon Pro-100s?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 11:16:47 pm »

Does paper choice affect longevity when using Canon Pro-100s?

Yes, a lot, according to the Aardenburg tests. For example, they did four in a row with the Pro-100 and four different Canon papers. The longevity ratings were:
57 Megalux-hours for Canon LU-101 Pro Luster (test #304)
55 Megalux-hours for Canon SG-201 Semigloss (test #305)
23 to 48 Megalux-hours for Canon PP-201 Photo Paper Plus Glossy II (test #307, and note that PP-301 replaced PP-201)
22 to 28 Megalux-hours for Canon PT-101 Pro Platinum (test #306)
So just among these basic Canon papers, the best is more than twice as fade-resistant as the worst.

mearussi

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 09:40:02 am »

Applying an overspray either from Moab, Hahnemuhle or Premier Art will appreciably add to its longevity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvjKM4luCY&list=PL4TwTEPWSmlcSQgK35oGYl6wnmPXFR8CF&index=16&t=1432s

MHMG

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 10:19:18 am »

Applying an overspray either from Moab, Hahnemuhle or Premier Art will appreciably add to its longevity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvjKM4luCY&list=PL4TwTEPWSmlcSQgK35oGYl6wnmPXFR8CF&index=16&t=1432s

The sprays cited above work very well for pigmented inks, subtly increasing colorfulness and Dmax of the print. However, for dye-based prints, it's the opposite. Some colors (reds and dark skin tones, for example) lose chroma, and Dmax also goes down (dark values get muddier by a small but measureable amount). One could probably compensate for the color shifts somewhat with a custom profile, but a custom profile won't bring back loss of color gamut or bring back the best Dmax.

To summarize, I have not yet tried a spray that doesn't adversely affect the initial color and tone quality of images printed on inkjet printers using dyes. Maybe one exists, but I haven't found it. The solvents of the sprays enable further dye migration into the paper, thus instantly affecting color gamut and Dmax for the worse. Many amateurs may not object to the changes because they are subtle for the most part, but discerning printmakers will indeed observe the quality change, particularly in the dark shadow tones of the print.

Thus, I recommend and personally use sprays like those cited above for glossy/luster prints made with pigmented ink sets, but I don't use them for prints I make with my Pro-100 because color and tone reproduction quality goes down immediately.

Attached is a dye-based print example of the color changes comparing before and after spraying.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 10:24:09 am by MHMG »

Paul_Roark

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 12:17:00 pm »

I used Claria (& Noritsu) dyes for a while because dyes on metallic paper have a unique and very interesting look to them.  I was doing black and white.  The fade claims Epson was making suggested the prints might have an acceptable life.  After 3 years of display in a typical home and home office I pulled one of the dye prints out of the frame.  The area that had been protected from light by the frame looked very different from that exposed to the light.  I will never use dyes again.  They are not close to what I expect from a serious print.

FWIW,

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up