Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Professional Satin Photo Paper on Canon PRO-2000 Series printer  (Read 1145 times)

vikcious

I have found a good source (very good price ans stable supply) of HP Professional Satin Photo Paper and planning to use it on my Canon PRO-2000 printer.
Of course new ICC profiles would be created for it to tame it to the Canon's inks.

Any PROs and CONs that I should know about before making this choice would really be appreciated!

Many thanks,
Victor
|| One screw-up is a mistake, two screw-ups is a trend, three screw-ups is a style ||

Ernst Dinkla

Re: HP Professional Satin Photo Paper on Canon PRO-2000 Series printer
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 12:07:31 pm »

According Aardenburg-Imaging.com the paper white will shift quite a lot in time. That is what I recalled (and checked afterwards).

GlobalBMG took over the distribution of HP media at some point and some qualities were changed since. HP Matte Litho Realistic for example and the quality dropped.

In the past there was no "Instant-Dry" in the product name I think, today there is. Whether that means the paper is also changed I do not know.
https://hp.globalbmg.com/en/photographic-papers?specs=412

So one Con is known for the old version. Wonder what your package label says.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

www.pigment-print.com/SpectralPlots/SpectrumViz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

stockjock

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 12:59:53 pm »

It is hard to tell what the differences are between similarly named papers but I have used the HP Everyday Pigment Ink Satin Photo Paper (24" x 100') with my Canon iPF8400 with excellent results.  Great surface and excellent colors, contrast, gamut etc. etc..  Downsides are very thin and quite a bit of curl.  I assume it isn't particularly archival.  But I like to print some of my work in 24x36" and stick it in cheap unglazed frames for hanging in my house and that paper is terrific for that use.  Not sure I would be comfortable selling a print done on it though.  I didn't even need to build a profile for the paper.   

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/745019-REG/HP_Hewlett_Packard_Q8920A_Everyday_Pigment_Ink_Satin.html

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 01:56:59 pm »

It is hard to tell what the differences are between similarly named papers but I have used the HP Everyday Pigment Ink Satin Photo Paper (24" x 100') with my Canon iPF8400 with excellent results.  Great surface and excellent colors, contrast, gamut etc. etc..  Downsides are very thin and quite a bit of curl.  I assume it isn't particularly archival.  But I like to print some of my work in 24x36" and stick it in cheap unglazed frames for hanging in my house and that paper is terrific for that use.  Not sure I would be comfortable selling a print done on it though.  I didn't even need to build a profile for the paper.   

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/745019-REG/HP_Hewlett_Packard_Q8920A_Everyday_Pigment_Ink_Satin.html

I use the 'everyday paper' for testprints- it is very good for that purpose- if you compare it with a print on a more serious paper like canson platine you will see the difference...
and suddenly it doesn't look that good anymore... also as you said it is not an archivalpaper.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

stockjock

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 10:51:21 pm »

I use the 'everyday paper' for testprints- it is very good for that purpose- if you compare it with a print on a more serious paper like canson platine you will see the difference...
and suddenly it doesn't look that good anymore... also as you said it is not an archivalpaper.

I disagree about the comparison with Platine which is actually the paper I have standardized on but not without some serious reservations about its gloss differential and stippled surface.  To my eye the image quality of the HP Everyday Pigment is as good/pleasing as Platine but obviously these preferences are somewhat subjective.  Also, my profile for the Canson Platine was built with the ColorMunki and it might not be as good as one built with an i1Photo Pro 2 so that might be a factor in our different impressions.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 04:53:01 am »

I disagree about the comparison with Platine which is actually the paper I have standardized on but not without some serious reservations about its gloss differential and stippled surface.  To my eye the image quality of the HP Everyday Pigment is as good/pleasing as Platine but obviously these preferences are somewhat subjective.  Also, my profile for the Canson Platine was built with the ColorMunki and it might not be as good as one built with an i1Photo Pro 2 so that might be a factor in our different impressions.

I have an HP printer - i do not have the gloss differential...  i see more depth and clarity in the Platine image. Maybe canson has a ICC profile for your printer.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 07:36:34 am »

I still use the HP Premium Instant Dry Satin and Gloss 260 gr/m² papers which are a bit heavier than the Everyday versions. However the coating etc is much alike.
The Pro Satin has more OBA at the print side compared to the Everyday and Premium. Which may be responsible for the paper white shifting.

deanwork

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 08:46:18 am »

When that HP Pro Satin first came out I used it for an exhibition of 40x60 color work and several large black and white works. It was so easy to work with, inexpensive, thick, it didn’t curl, beautiful natural looking texture,and the image quality all around was superb. I had people calling me asking what that beautiful media was I was using. People thought it was a new kind of high end cotton fine art media with a terrific texture.

I knew it had some oba and the price point was a fraction of the cotton papers I was using so I didn’t charge premium prices for the prints. Wilhelm's tests with the hp Vivera inks was like 200 years at 450 lux. I thought I had found the ultimate low cost high-end media.

I was, along with Ernst and others, horrified when I saw the results of Mark McCormicks fade test results
on Aardenburg Imaging website. It turned out to be one of the worst performing papers he had tested. It was loaded with extremely poor performing dye brighteners. Whites were turning gray in no time In these tests.

This was the last straw with my belief in Wilhelm’s data. It was like white values and paper base didn’t even come into consideration. I switched to Canson Photo Satin Premium for my lower cost work. The prints look great. I like the minimal texture much better than say Epson Premium Luster and the fade rate is about the same as the Epson.

As to Platine, I have never had noticeable  bronzing or gloss differential with HPVivera or Canon Lucia pigments.
However with the Canon black and white prints I usually spray them with Premiere Art, though almost all of my gloss monochrome is on a Z printer with Vivera inks. Vivera is a gloss enhancer that actually works. I also think the texture is perfect in my opinion. If I add a very light coat of Premiere Art spray people can’t tell it from gelatin silver. It’s great for portfolios where the print is held in your hand. I also like Hahnemuehle Photorag Pearl a lot for larger prints.

Still waiting for an rc media with good whiteness and no oba. But that may never happen.

John

I still use the HP Premium Instant Dry Satin and Gloss 260 gr/m² papers which are a bit heavier than the Everyday versions. However the coating etc is much alike.
The Pro Satin has more OBA at the print side compared to the Everyday and Premium. Which may be responsible for the paper white shifting.

SharonVL

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 09:28:15 am »

Still waiting for an rc media with good whiteness and no oba. But that may never happen.

John

Have you tried Innova Exhibition Photo Baryta. I really like this paper? Bright, smooth, beautiful blacks on it and no oba. And pretty inexpensive.

https://www.innovaart.com/product/exhibition-photo-baryta-310gsm/

Sharon

MHMG

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 11:19:38 am »

Have you tried Innova Exhibition Photo Baryta. I really like this paper? Bright, smooth, beautiful blacks on it and no oba. And pretty inexpensive.

Sharon

Innova Exhibition Photo Baryta definitely has OBAs. Innova Exhibition Cotton Gloss is OBA-free.

I have fairly recent samples of these papers and was hoping to put both into testing soon, but I'm now uncertain about Exhibition Photo Baryta's continued availability. This paper is extremely similar to other Baryta inkjet papers which have been affected by supply issues in recent months (e.g., forcing some manufacturers to replace with "new and improved" versions).  I contacted Innova about this matter a few weeks ago, but I did not hear back. I would prefer not to be testing an older stock of a paper that is being discontinued or reformulated.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

SharonVL

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 11:38:53 am »

Innova Exhibition Photo Baryta definitely has OBAs. Innova Exhibition Cotton Gloss is OBA-free.

I have fairly recent samples of these papers and was hoping to put both into testing soon, but I'm now uncertain about Exhibition Photo Baryta's continued availability. This paper is extremely similar to other Baryta inkjet papers which have been affected by supply issues in recent months (e.g., forcing some manufacturers to replace with "new and improved" versions).  I contacted Innova about this matter a few weeks ago, but I did not hear back. I would prefer not to be testing an older stock of a paper that is being discontinued or reformulated.

cheers,
Mark

That's interesting because their data sheet on that paper says no obas. I was able to contact Innova and they said this paper will continue to be produced but they are working on a newer version. The current product is stocked in the USA to last at least  through 2021.

I really like this paper.  I wonder why they claim no obas on their site.

Sharon

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 11:39:32 am »

Sharon

One thing to be aware of with baryta papers is that they can be very sensitive to scratching, even from light brushing to remove dust.  This won't show so much except on deep blacks when the light catches the abrasion (it's a surface scratch not enough to remove ink).

I don't know whether Innova baryta suffers from this problem but I gather this is common with baryta coated inkjet papers.

deanwork

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 11:53:54 am »

I was one of the fist group of printmakers who started using Innova back when they started. Then I found out it was founded by guys who had been working for Hahnemuehle USA from what people were saying. I could write several paragraphs about my bad experience with their roll media and several colleagues really bad experiences with coating and quality control, But I’ll just suggest, you get what you pay for and there is no free lunch.

Maybe they have new owners now, maybe improvements, who knows. I do know I’ll never use them again that’s for sure.

John

cheers,
Mark

SharonVL

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 12:20:12 pm »

I was one of the fist group of printmakers who started using Innova back when they started. Then I found out it was founded by guys who had been working for Hahnemuehle USA from what people were saying. I could write several paragraphs about my bad experience with their roll media and several colleagues really bad experiences with coating and quality control, But I’ll just suggest, you get what you pay for and there is no free lunch.

Maybe they have new owners now, maybe improvements, who knows. I do know I’ll never use them again that’s for sure.

John

Thanks for that info, John. My main paper is Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta. Really gorgeous paper.  But I like Red River's Palo Duro Soft Gloss also. Oh I have to face my addiction...I love a lot of papers. :-)

Sharon

MHMG

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 02:49:37 pm »

That's interesting because their data sheet on that paper says no obas. I was able to contact Innova and they said this paper will continue to be produced but they are working on a newer version. The current product is stocked in the USA to last at least  through 2021.

I really like this paper.  I wonder why they claim no obas on their site.

Sharon

Yes, I double checked the Innova spec sheet, and you are correct, it clearly states "no OBAs", but Innova marketing guys are simply wrong. I also just double-checked my roll of Exhibition Photo Baryta. It glows brightly under UV LED as did the ones in a sample pack I received a while back. Additional confirmation is that the M0 versus M2 (UV included versus UV excluded) measurements with my i1PRO2 spectrophotometer also confirm the fluorescence due to incorporated OBAs.

Ernst may also have the Exhibition Photo Baryta in his Spectrumvis database. It's Innova IFA69 by another name.

cheers,
Mark

SharonVL

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2020, 03:07:48 pm »

Yes, I double checked the Innova spec sheet, and you are correct, it clearly states "no OBAs", but Innova marketing guys are simply wrong. I also just double-checked my roll of Exhibition Photo Baryta. It glows brightly under UV LED as did the ones in a sample pack I received a while back. Additional confirmation is that the M0 versus M2 (UV included versus UV excluded) measurements with my i1PRO2 spectrophotometer also confirm the fluorescence due to incorporated OBAs.

Ernst may also have the Exhibition Photo Baryta in his Spectrumvis database. It's Innova IFA69 by another name.

cheers,
Mark

Well, that is not cool.  >:(
Thank you for the heads up, Mark.

Sharon

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2020, 09:09:53 pm »

Thanks for that info, John. My main paper is Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta. Really gorgeous paper.  But I like Red River's Palo Duro Soft Gloss also. Oh I have to face my addiction...I love a lot of papers. :-)

Sharon

I also like Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta a lot; but i think only for Black & White or for colour graphics.
you use it for colour photos?
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

SharonVL

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2020, 12:52:06 am »

I also like Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta a lot; but i think only for Black & White or for colour graphics.
you use it for colour photos?

I do for some color photos but not all. Right now, I have a series with commercial scallop boats, tug boats, barges etc. and some have a lot of red. That’s why I liked the Innova paper - it printed reds beautifully. But the oba content makes that paper a no go.

Sharon
Pages: [1]   Go Up