Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Michael's interview with Andrew Patrick  (Read 10700 times)

TiX

Michael's interview with Andrew Patrick
« on: November 28, 2006, 11:03:06 pm »

I watched the interview, and was surprised how pointed some of Michael's questions were, but then again this is what I expect and enjoy about Michael. As far as I am concerned, Andrew's answers about the 3800 were informative, yet light. I felt he danced around the head clogging issue, stating the 3800 had an improved method for parking the heads, which in my eyes means it will clog, only maybe not as much. I am biased, as I own the iPF5000, but I am curious to read Michael's upcoming review on the 3800.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 11:27:24 pm »

I watched the interview, and was surprised how pointed some of Michael's questions were, but then again this is what I expect and enjoy about Michael. As far as I am concerned, Andrew's answers about the 3800 were informative, yet light. I felt he danced around the head clogging issue, stating the 3800 had an improved method for parking the heads, which in my eyes means it will clog, only maybe not as much. I am biased, as I own the iPF5000, but I am curious to read Michael's upcoming review on the 3800.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87643\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Even more interesting was the reference to steps you can take to minimize head clogging, and (I believe) that there is or will be a web page describing those steps.  That is interesting to me, as I had a number of discussions with very knowledgeable technicians about the clogging issue during 4 service calls for my Epson 9600 while it was under warranty.  I tried all kinds of things, including wetting the capping station pads regularly with distilled water, etc.  The head was replaced, ink cartridge housing was replaced, wiper was replaced, etc., all to no effect.  The technicians, who I will stress again appeared to be thoughtful, knowledgeable individuals, were unable to help me.  

I finally negotiated an exchange of my 9600 for a 9800 (the 9600 was no longer being made) with me kicking in the difference in purchase price between the two models.  The final straw was when the "new" 9800 arrived and it turned out to be a "pre-launch sample" that wasn't even FCC certified to be sold in the U.S.  After this "accidental mistake" Epson took the printer back and gave me all of my money back--but many, many hours had been wasted over the previous months.

I will be interested to see if such a web page materializes, and what it says.

--John

picnic

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 11:51:15 pm »

Even more interesting was the reference to steps you can take to minimize head clogging, and (I believe) that there is or will be a web page describing those steps.  That is interesting to me, as I had a number of discussions with very knowledgeable technicians about the clogging issue during 4 service calls for my Epson 9600 while it was under warranty.  I tried all kinds of things, including wetting the capping station pads regularly with distilled water, etc.  The head was replaced, ink cartridge housing was replaced, wiper was replaced, etc., all to no effect.  The technicians, who I will stress again appeared to be thoughtful, knowledgeable individuals, were unable to help me. 

I finally negotiated an exchange of my 9600 for a 9800 (the 9600 was no longer being made) with me kicking in the difference in purchase price between the two models.  The final straw was when the "new" 9800 arrived and it turned out to be a "pre-launch sample" that wasn't even FCC certified to be sold in the U.S.  After this "accidental mistake" Epson took the printer back and gave me all of my money back--but many, many hours had been wasted over the previous months.

I will be interested to see if such a web page materializes, and what it says.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87644\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've been unable to connect--maybe there are that many interested in the interview.  I'd very much like to see it---but guess I will wait for an offtime to try again.

Addendum---I found it worked fine using Itunes.

Diane
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 09:14:21 am by picnic »

John Hollenberg

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 11:55:20 pm »

I've been unable to connect--maybe there are that many interested in the interview.  I'd very much like to see it---but guess I will wait for an offtime to try again.

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87646\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had trouble until I:

1) Switched from Firefox to Internet Explorer (don't know if this mattered)
2) Clicked on "Play" under the title of the Podcast instead of the title itself

--John

drwillie

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 06:13:40 am »

I had trouble until I:

1) Switched from Firefox to Internet Explorer (don't know if this mattered)
2) Clicked on "Play" under the title of the Podcast instead of the title itself

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87647\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Could someone please share who "Andrew Patrick" is and how to find the Podcast you've made reference to?

David Williamson

francois

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 06:26:35 am »

Could someone please share who "Andrew Patrick" is and how to find the Podcast you've made reference to?

David Williamson
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You'll find the vodcast here:   feed://feeds.feedburner.com/luminous-landscape   or  from [a href=\"http://www.luminous-landscape.com/vodcasts.shtml]this webpage[/url].

Quote from the description: "An interview with Andrew Patrick, who is responsible for Epson Canada's Professional Imaging Group. The just-launched Epson 3800 printer is discussed, as well as market competition and future directions in photographic inkjet technology."
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 06:28:53 am by francois »
Francois

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 01:07:24 pm »

Oddly, I don't find it either. I find the page of vodcasts and I'm offered 11 topics; four previews from Video Journal 15; six topics from Photokina; and the topic on the M8.

All attempts were with Mac OS (X 10.4.7) using Safari, Opera, Firefox and IE browsers. Guess I'll check back another time.

Dale

henk

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 02:35:43 pm »

No Problem at all. Just downloaded the file and opened it with Quick time player.
Peace off cake!

Now we are waiting for Michael's review! Hope it will apear soon. Money is burning in my pocket.  

Henk

michael

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 02:36:12 pm »

Sorry for the confusion.

The interview file was very large, and when we hit 38GB of bandwidth in less than 12 hours I pulled the plug on it.

The interview is now on YouTube and it can now be found here.

Michael

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 03:29:37 pm »

Sorry for the confusion.

The interview file was very large, and when we hit 38GB of bandwidth in less than 12 hours I pulled the plug on it.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87735\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Michael. That makes me feel less stupid.

Dale

tbonanno

• Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 07:56:21 pm »

Sorry for the confusion.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87735\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Guess I was lucky and caught it early.  It was the first time I had watched one of the video casts and I was really impressed.  I liked the way you conducted the interview very much.  Your technique was pointed, but not rude or contentious.  Professional, gracious, and constructive.  The information was useful and worthwhile.  

Thanks Michael !

Tony Bonanno
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 01:19:36 pm by tbonanno »
Tony Bonanno Photography
ASMP Profession

rdonson

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 09:08:37 am »

I was intrigued by the clogging and color gamut topics.  

Andrew's comments that all print heads will clog with pigment inks but only piezo are easily cleaned and that Canon hides the clogging by switching nozzles should create some discussion.  He maintained that the Canon heads will need to be replaced due to clogging.  Interesting....

I'm still unclear as to the color gamut differences between the Epson K3 printers and the new Canon.  

I'm even more confused by some of the discussion in forums that 16 bit printing doesn't really buy you more than 8 bit driver printing.

I hoping someone will point me to definitive answers on these.
Regards,
Ron

michael

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 09:39:33 am »

Have you read my iPF5000 review? This may answer some of your questions.

Michael

rdonson

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 11:17:00 am »

Have you read my iPF5000 review? This may answer some of your questions.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87850\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you, Michael, I have read the review.  When you printed for the gamut plots in  "Gamut"  were you using the 8 bit print driver or the 16 bit PS plug-in?  Were you using custom made profiles for either printer?

In the section on "Drivers and 16 bit Printing" the plots show a wider gamut but other than the blues did you 'see' the wider gamut in your visual print comparisons?  You sort of say that you did.

Do you plan on using a RIP when they support the iPF5000?  Printing from PS is a pain.

I've seen the difference in blues when I visited a local shop that has the 60" Canon iPF9000.  

One complaint from the shop owner was that the printer only printed in bi-directional mode.  For high quality work he's used to turning off bi-directional printing in his Epsons.

Regards,
Regards,
Ron

michael

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 02:48:18 pm »

I used the 16 bit drivers. Much preferable to the regular driver unless you're forced to use them when printing from a program like Lightroom or Aperture.

I'm looking forward to the Imageprint RIP when it becomes available shortly, though it will be no means necessary to get the most out of the 5000.

Yes, I used profiles that I made myself, because I don't use Canon papers.

The wider gamut is clearly visible in the blues, and also the greens, though to a lesser extent.

The comment about bi-direction is silly. What differece does this make if the consequences aren't visible?

The 16 bit driver doesn't provide a demonstrably superior image quality, but it does deliver a more user friendly printing experience.

Michael

rdonson

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 02:55:28 pm »

The comment about bi-direction is silly. What differece does this make if the consequences aren't visible?

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87916\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Michael.  Your response was most helpful.

With regards to bi-directional printing this shop owner felt he got better quality prints on the Epsons turning it off (slower speed).  Since he can't turn it off on the Canon printer there's no way for him to know if bi-directional printing produces the same results as printing in only one direction.  Overall, its probably a nit but something that got his attention.  He's a state of the art perfectionist with his prints.
Regards,
Ron

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 07:00:03 pm »

If nozzles are correctly aligned there is no difference between mono and bidirectional printing.
I recently printed a 44" wide print over 6 meters long to be exhibited in a National Gallery for a printmaking exhibition. It took well over 4 hours to print, with constant attention and every square inch examined under  stereo magnifyers during and after printing. I can't imagine the stress of mono directional printing.
Cheers,
Brian,
www.pharoseditions.com.au

rdonson

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 08:40:28 pm »

If nozzles are correctly aligned there is no difference between mono and bidirectional printing.
I recently printed a 44" wide print over 6 meters long to be exhibited in a National Gallery for a printmaking exhibition. It took well over 4 hours to print, with constant attention and every square inch examined under  stereo magnifyers during and after printing. I can't imagine the stress of mono directional printing.
Cheers,
Brian,
www.pharoseditions.com.au
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=87953\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the info, Brian!!!!
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up