Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BC's Belgian Linen first impression  (Read 587 times)

MfAlab

• Modern Fine Art printing laboratory
    • HSU fine print
BC's Belgian Linen first impression
« on: February 04, 2020, 05:45:35 am »

I tested Breathing Color Belgian Linen last week, not in-depth, just an rough impression.

The color gamut and D-max is good as Lyve canvas, but image detail is superb. It's incredible for an inkjet canvas. I printed the same image on both canvas and immediately found the difference by eye, no need any resolution test charts.

I think Belgian Linen is a breakthrough canvas, but sadly, the price is breakthrough too...
Kang-Wei Hsu
digital printing & color management
fixative tests preview: https://reurl.cc/OVGDmr

mearussi

Re: BC's Belgian Linen first impression
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 07:59:11 am »

I tested Breathing Color Belgian Linen last week, not in-depth, just an rough impression.

The color gamut and D-max is good as Lyve canvas, but image detail is superb. It's incredible for an inkjet canvas. I printed the same image on both canvas and immediately found the difference by eye, no need any resolution test charts.

I think Belgian Linen is a breakthrough canvas, but sadly, the price is breakthrough too...
If you're wanting a fine weave and high resolution  at a much lower price try Canson's Museum ProCanvas. It's 100% cotton produces a very fine pattern that's completely covered up by using the recommended three light coatings of Eco Print Shield.

deanwork

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 11:05:52 am »

Linen has a softness that is not linear, it has qualities of fine hand made papers but much stronger. The BC linen is beautiful like nothing I’ve seen, and very expensive. I’ll use it for special projects. It gives a preciousness to small prints that you look at very close up or hold in your hands. I want to try the dark version that isn’t coated with pigmented gesso for bw.

John

H

If you're wanting a fine weave and high resolution  at a much lower price try Canson's Museum ProCanvas. It's 100% cotton produces a very fine pattern that's completely covered up by using the recommended three light coatings of Eco Print Shield.

MfAlab

• Modern Fine Art printing laboratory
    • HSU fine print
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 10:54:32 pm »

I 've tried Canson's Museum Pro, but linen and cotton are different. I agree with John, BC's linen is in it's own category.

Just my thought. Best oil painting canvas is made by linen because of the strength and durability, inkjet canvas should be too. Modify: Just like we use cotton rag inkjet papers.
Kang-Wei Hsu
digital printing & color management
fixative tests preview: https://reurl.cc/OVGDmr

mearussi

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 11:52:23 am »

Linen has a softness that is not linear, it has qualities of fine hand made papers but much stronger. The BC linen is beautiful like nothing I’ve seen, and very expensive. I’ll use it for special projects. It gives a preciousness to small prints that you look at very close up or hold in your hands. I want to try the dark version that isn’t coated with pigmented gesso for bw.

John

H
Sounds like it would make very good "paper" for a fine art book if it were dual coated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up